Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2006 Commander Limited 4x4 5.7L Hemi yesterday. I got an absolute steal on this thing from a private seller. I have never owned a Jeep but I can say I'm thoroughly impressed with what the limited package offers.

After bringing her home and doing some forum digging I found out some common problems and fixed them today. First I glued the wobbly passenger mirror and then I unplugged the drains for the sunroof. Good thing because even though we get occasional rains here they were totally clogged. I just straightened out a coat hanger and pushed it through the holes. I poured a small amount of water near the holes to make sure they drained well.

This is what came out of one side (I park close to a wall at my apt so I couldn't get a pic of the other side)

Anyway here are some pics of the beast:

Future mods include getting rid of the chrome clad wheels, 2"-3.5" lift, larger tires, intake, exhaust, and possibly a front bumper and rear tire carrier.Nothing too crazy as this is my daily driver. I'm even contemplating painting the chrome wheels until I get new ones. I was thinking charcoal grey like the color of the factory hulk wheels. I'm sure it would be tough to get paint to stick to that crappy chrome but it would only be temporary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for fun here was my previous daily driver:

1973 Ford F250 Crew Cab with a 5.9L 12V Cummins Turbo Diesel in it. Boy was it a fun ride but I am so happy with my 'Mander. If I could have kept both I for sure would have but i couldn't for many reasons.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you in Santa Monica, McKinney?

And on another track, are you interested in selling your pickup with the Diesel engine?

I'm not personally looking, but anyone who's in the market for a pristine example would drool at a CA owned pickup; no rust, no salt...

Though, were the price right, I might be in the market...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Santa Monica, but the truck has been sold already. It went to SDHQ Offroad in Arizona if you want to keep up on it. It was an awesome truck and very rare at that. It needed too many things and I have many other higher priorities in my life so I had to sell. I had an INSANE amount of interest in it and I still get multiple calls, texts, and emails about it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you know **** Wardlow in Moorpark? He's an insurance broker who's done a lot of business with me, and I with him...

I suppose this is a "poseur check."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know a "Richard" Wardlow. Googled it and I found his brokerage though. He is about an hour away from me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I changed out all three of the front driveshaft isolators. I was able to do it by myself with basic tools and some jack stands in about 5 hours with taking long breaks due to phone calls. I used a sawzall to remove the old isolators. I just cut a small slot on the outer ring and they fell out in their own. Mine weren't in as bad as shape as others I have seen but the clunk when shifting from park to drive/reverse drove me crazy. I spent about $100 on parts. Here are some pictures of the new vs old isolators:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some updates. I got the front windows tinted to match the factory tint on the rear windows. Also I never liked the chrome clad wheels that came on it so I was curious how a different color wheel would look. I tried to search for some pictures of my color commander with dark grey or black wheels but didn't have much luck except for a few examples. SO I decided to try it myself with some plasti dip so I can always remove it. At first I tried dark grey but I really didn't like it so I peeled it off and tried the black. I liked it at first and it is definitely growing in me but I'm happy I have the option of going back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts