Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that it is probably possible, using aftermarket computer thingamagigs that we can alter the shift pattern manually. Sounds like fun and if I had an extra $600 or whatever lying around, maybe I'd do that. Now, thinking about it, if I can change the shift pattern with an aftermarket computer thingamagig, what would be the odds of being able to adjust the MDS with it. Maybe set it for ACTUAL highway speeds (55-75) perhaps? What do you all think?

If THAT were possible, it might actually be worth the $600 in the long run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my 06 ram the mds kicked in at 40mph or higher. What are you trying to acomplish? For sh1ts and giggles try putting it in the tow/haul mode and see what happens. If memorie serves me right it shuts off MDS and also shuts off o/d. Dave...

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to get better MPG by raising the MDS speeds and keeping it on 4 cylinders even after it passes 60 (although there appears to be some question as to when exactly MDS is on and off). I've played with the Tow/Haul mode when I towed my car across country and MPG SUCKED! So, I know what its like without MDS and overdrive. =)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Twincam Dave said:
On my 06 ram the mds kicked in at 40mph or higher. What are you trying to acomplish? For sh1ts and giggles try putting it in the tow/haul mode and see what happens. If memorie serves me right it shuts off MDS and also shuts off o/d. Dave...
MDS on the Hemi 5.7 installed in the XK is supposed to engage between 40 and 60 MPH. PolarBZ is correct in that we have no idea if/when it really engages.:confused:

·
Registered
476 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I'm looking to get better MPG by raising the MDS speeds and keeping it on 4 cylinders even after it passes 60 (although there appears to be some question as to when exactly MDS is on and off). I've played with the Tow/Haul mode when I towed my car across country and MPG SUCKED! So, I know what its like without MDS and overdrive. =)
Personally I wish you could disable the MDS on the Hemi all together. What is the point in trying to haul this 2 1/2 ton machine with a 4 banger?

Guess it really does not matter much since I rarely drive in the 40 - 60 zone! When I am in the city I hardly get to 40mph... when I am on my commute to work I travel at 75 most of the way. MDS may be able to kick in for about 10% of my commute.

Just my 2cents! :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
HemiCommander said:
MDS on the Hemi 5.7 installed in the XK is supposed to engage between 40 and 60 MPH. PolarBZ is correct in that we have no idea if/when it really engages.:confused:
If you had an after market exhaust you'd hear it kick in, sounds like a Honda civic on steroids(kinda throaty). Had the Dodge cruising on I-75 @80 and it kicked in. Dave...

·
Registered
163 Posts
With my muffler change and removing the resonator I can now tell when the MDS engages. It does sound a bit weird. And Yes a light would be nice to tell when its on.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
On my 08, I've had the MDS running at 78 mph. Has to be pretty flat and level though... I think the kick in is between 40 and 60, I don't think that it automatically disables when you get above a certain speed. My EVICS unit displays "Fuel Saver Mode" whenever it is on and I've never seen it active below 40 mph...but, anything below 40 mph I would be in "town" traffic which is never steady long enough for the MDS to trigger anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have an '08 XK and have noticed that the MDS does not kick in very often. I set my display to show my estimated mpgs and above it the "Fuel Saver Mode" notice will display. Usually I can trigger it if I let off the accelerator when approaching a stop. Otherwise, if I'm on the highway doing 70 with the cruise control - I don't see the notice. It would be nice if it would as right now I'm showing 13.1 mpg.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Don't know where you are (location), but, I live in South Central PA and work outside of Washington (for another 241 days :) ). There are two stretches, between Hancock and Hagerstown and between Frederick and Rockville that are reasonably flat. Cruise Control at 73 and the MDS is on frequently (more going SE than NE - slight uphill to PA... EVICS shows me 17.8 mpg, but, the real mileage on the last tankful was 17 mpg.

Have never figured out how the XK figures mileage, the EVICS is never close. My Dodge and Chrysler are always spot on, but, not the Jeep. I always use the odometer and gas bought to figure my mileage. I think they program the EVICS to make you feel better - had it tell me one time 20.3 mpg...real mileage was 17.4 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
How many miles you got on it? May not be broken in. My 06 Hemi started to get good #'s after about 15,000 mi.. Long trips 350+miles I would get 22mpg on the Ram. My 4.7 commander gets 17city and 20+ hwy.Dave...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 700 miles on my Commander right now. Hopefullly just a break in issue with mileage and the mds system. Sometimes the mds system seems to take a moment to decide whether to be in 8 cyl mode or 4 cyl mode when I'm driving up ramps in parking garages and such. Like i said at 70 the mds system barely comes on - even when I think the road is fairly level.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OK so the 2008 commanders tell you when they are in 4 cyl mode??? The earlier models don't. There is a mod to hook up a light but I haven't gotten that ambitious yet!

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Andre said:
Like i said at 70 the mds system barely comes on...
Barely comes on ? It's either on or it's not on.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The 08's will show "Fuel Saver Mode" above the EVIC mpg readout whenever the MDS is active. Easy to flip to it using the steering wheel controls. I've gotten pretty good at being able to tell, but, on a lot of the boring stretches going home or to work, I'll play to see how long I can keep it lit up...you have to make very, very small accelerator adjustments - kind of like playing a video game while driving :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats cool! I guess someone heard us asking for that feature! I'll just have to buy a new Jeep to get it!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so I finished my trip across the country (from Augusta, GA to Missoula, MT) and averaged roughly 15 mpg. At times, I had the evic showing 17.1 on a nice flat stretch and others down to 11 (up and down hill slopes). I also figured out that you can go at least 20 miles further AFTER the EVIC says you are down to 0 miles til empty. Also, it seems that temps below freezing hurt gas mileage. =)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts