Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently when you buy a vehicle now a days, they don't come with what you need to check the trans fluid, whats next no oil dip stick.. So before I order one of these is this what I'm looking for? 2006 3.7L

Mercedes Benz Transmission 722.6 Fluid Dipstick

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
There is a reason the 3.7 doesn't come with a dipstick. The Transmission fluid is dealer serviceable only.

The Mercedes W5A580 does have a special tool that is a dipstick, to check fluid level. The trans is very sensative to fluid level, more so than other trans, so they make it a Dealer/Shop service item only and do NOT include a dipstick.

You can find the dipstick tool on e-bay and other places, it is a tool, NOT designed to stay in the trans like other dipsticks. You pull the cap and put it down the tube and a good portion still sticks out after it bottoms out. So no, after you get the special tool, you can't leave it in the trans like its a regular dipstick.

The procedure for checking the trans fluid level is to use the dealer starscan tool, or another enhanced scan tool that can access the electronics of the trans and read the trans temp from the sensor. Then look up the proper fluid level vs temperature from a table in the FSM, you can find them on the internet as well, and measure that level with the special tool. (See why they made it a dealer/shop only service item.)

If you don't have an enhanced scan tool that can read transmission sensors, you may be able to still use the special tool dipstick, using an accurate temp measure tool against the trans fluid pan.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a reason the 3.7 doesn't come with a dipstick. The Transmission fluid is dealer serviceable only.

The Mercedes W5A580 does have a special tool that is a dipstick, to check fluid level. The trans is very sensative to fluid level, more so than other trans, so they make it a Dealer/Shop service item only and do NOT include a dipstick.

You can find the dipstick tool on e-bay and other places, it is a tool, NOT designed to stay in the trans like other dipsticks. You pull the cap and put it down the tube and a good portion still sticks out after it bottoms out. So no, after you get the special tool, you can't leave it in the trans like its a regular dipstick.

The procedure for checking the trans fluid level is to use the dealer starscan tool, or another enhanced scan tool that can access the electronics of the trans and read the trans temp from the sensor. Then look up the proper fluid level vs temperature from a table in the FSM, you can find them on the internet as well, and measure that level with the special tool. (See why they made it a dealer/shop only service item.)

If you don't have an enhanced scan tool that can read transmission sensors, you may be able to still use the special tool dipstick, using an accurate temp measure tool against the trans fluid pan.
Haha, WOW.. I'll stop at the dealer and let them do it.. Thanks for all the info..

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Didn't some of the earlier XK's with the same transmission have a trans dipstick?:icon_confused:
No.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just made my own
On your dip stick you have gradient marks of 10mm with a zero at 80mm. Is this the correct level when the car and the tranny are at full operating temp and you then I take a dip stick measurement in the correct manor?

According to the test I did on my own home made dip stick fabricated from 3.5mm stainless steel yacht rigging cable the correct level should be 70mm from the bottom of the pan. So when I insert the cable I can clearly feel and hear the dip stick tap the bottom of the pan. I then withdraw and check against my mark.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No 70 is full 80 was just the lines i made
Thanks GeeEssFore we have two owners confirming 70mm is the correct level from the bottom of the pan.
I also noted that the after market dip stick tool for these Merc transmissions use a length of gal steel cable with a plastic fitting on the end to read the level. I just coat the bottom section of my S/S cable in a bit of paint so I can read the level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts