Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove all the way home from a Colorado trip with no problems. After a 2 day trip, I started the Jeep after it had sat for a day. It had the "Service 4WD System" message. I did not change the diff fluid before I left. Does this sound like a fluid level issue? Would an code reading get me more information?

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
A code reading will definitely give you more info. "Service 4wd system" message indicates that something happened. May or may not be a malfunction but the computer should have a code/ record of the instance and give you a better idea what "happened".

·
Registered
120 Posts
A code reading will definitely give you more info. "Service 4wd system" message indicates that something happened. May or may not be a malfunction but the computer should have a code/ record of the instance and give you a better idea what "happened".
a code reader will NOT give you info on this, only the dealers "star scan" reader can read these codes

·
Registered
130 Posts
a code reader will NOT give you info on this, only the dealers "star scan" reader can read these codes
Well thats what I meant. An actual mechanic has the proper diagnostic equipment for reading such codes.

I was not referring to the method of trying to pull the codes yourself with the "ignition trick"...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check your fuses. Locate the ones that might be involved with your 4wd or anything else relevant and just check. You can buy a little fuse tester from autozone for under 10 bucks. Simple stuff but could easily be your problem. Cant hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, after 3 days, the "Service 4wd System" turned off. Does anyone know if there are sensors that could be sensitive to a change in atmosphere (8K ft driven down to 730 ft) or even the smoke out in Colorado? I am glad the message is gone and am going to have the diff fluid changed this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts