Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As far as I know, no one on the forum is running those wheels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks like they have a 4.5" back spacing which should give you about the same look as using 1.5" spacers. I think they look pretty sharp!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Looks like they have a 4.5" back spacing which should give you about the same look as using 1.5" spacers. I think they look pretty sharp!
The only size wheel that Sidebiter comes in with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern is a 17x9 with -12mm offset (4.5 back spacing). That will stick out a lot father then using a 1.5 inch wheel spacer.

.8 inches father to be exact if running a 265/70 which I personally would never run on that wide of a wheel.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ran 17x9 helo wheels with 4.5 backspacing on my Grand Cherokee, they looked great, they stuck out almost an inch since the WK's don't have flares but should sit about flush on an XK with flares, the minimum recommended tire size for a 17x9 is a 265/70/17 due to the width and proper bead seating, I ran 255/75/17's and never had any issues!

I say should fit flush in reference to the wheels I previously had on my WK that are now on my XK they sat 3/4" out on the WK and sit flush on the XK
so the 17x9's shud sit about the same maybe .5" outside the flares if even

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Im running 265/70R17's on stock wheels with 1.25 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers and my wheel/tire package sits perfectly fluch with the front and rear fenders. A set of 265/70R17's on a 17x9 wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing is going to sit out another 0.9 inches farther. Thats almost an inch past the flares.

Here is a picture of Phunkeydudes Commander that he got rid of for a new Rubicon JK. He has Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels in the exact same specs of what those Sidebiters come in (17x9, 5 on 5 bolt pattern, 4.5 inches of back Spacing). Just a slightly wider/taller tire mounted on the wheel which doesnt make to big of a difference because half of the width goes into the wheel well/engine compartment. They sit out a lot farther then you would think.

·
Registered
195 Posts
07JeepXK is correct. I just ran the math and if I didn't screw anything up the 17x9 wheel on 4.5" backspacing will in fact stick out a lot farther than 1.5" spacers on stock wheels.

Here is 1.5" spacers on stock wheels with 265/70/17's. Pull each wheel out another 0.8" and that is the look you will have.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Exactly. I have to agree though that it does look good when the tires stick out past the fenders provided you have the proper amount of lift on the vehicle. But what people tend to forget about is the farther the wheel/tire sticks out the more rubbing you will have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
x2, that is why I am not running my mickey thompson classic II wheels any more. 17X9 w/ 4.5" back spacing. I was rubbing way to much w/ a 4" lift. Now they make good decorations for the garage.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I sent you a PM. You would need to run that wheel in the +18 mm offset. Would stick out 1.4 inches farther then stock. Just a hair less then bolting wheel spacers on stock wheels. The -12 mm offset will stick out way to far.

·
Registered
195 Posts
both are nice wheels!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im running 265/70R17's on stock wheels with 1.25 inch Spidertrax wheel spacers and my wheel/tire package sits perfectly fluch with the front and rear fenders. A set of 265/70R17's on a 17x9 wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing is going to sit out another 0.9 inches farther. Thats almost an inch past the flares.

Here is a picture of Phunkeydudes Commander that he got rid of for a new Rubicon JK. He has Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels in the exact same specs of what those Sidebiters come in (17x9, 5 on 5 bolt pattern, 4.5 inches of back Spacing). Just a slightly wider/taller tire mounted on the wheel which doesnt make to big of a difference because half of the width goes into the wheel well/engine compartment. They sit out a lot farther then you would think.
Maybe stick out but not too much, gives a good look... guess everyone has there preferences though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts