Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I cant get the 2nd row seats to tumble, they fold just fine when i pull the lever but i cant get it to tumble forward.
is there a special technique to do so?

Jeep Commander 2007 Rocky mountain 3.7L

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pull the lever to make them fold, then keep pulling up on the lever quite a bit more to reach the second detent where they tumble. Mine fold and tumble with just the pressure from the lever with one hand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
then I think there is something blocking it from tumbling, since its supposed to be that easy

is there another way to fix it if the seat belt or something is blocking it?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Just checked both my rear outer seats. One pull to flip the back down, then I need to lift up on the seat bottom at the same time I pull the lever way forward. Takes some jiggling around some times to get it to lift up.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had to put a bit of muscle into the second lever pull the first time I tumbled my rear seats. It's been easier ever since.
How often do you do 3 seats? I can imagine some do it a lot. I only do mine once or twice a year, therefore I think I need more muscle.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've had some trouble getting my 2nd row to tumble, pushing down on the rear of the seat while fiddling with the lever gets it to release every time. Took me awhile to figure that out. Greased everything heavily and its a little easier now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How often do you do 3 seats? I can imagine some do it a lot. I only do mine once or twice a year, therefore I think I need more muscle.
Am I reading this wrong? Does the center seat also tumble? I didn;t think it did... but I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You are right, the center back seat does not tumble. When I refer to 3 seats I mean, front, back seat, 3rd seat.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If the front seats are all the way back as far as they will go and reclined even in the slightest, it will interfere with the 2nd row seats tumbling forward the full amount, the front seats won't interfere with the latch letting go with the lever pull.

The 2nd row seats are spring loaded to tumble forward easily. So the spring exerts some force on the latch that holds the seat down. So, if its been a long time since the 2nd row seats were tumbled forward, that latch has a lot of time being dug into the anchor and it will stick.

Like Luckyse7ens suggested, if you push down on the back of the folded seat, you move the latch mechanism around, take the load of the spring off it, and it frees up the latch so the lever pull works easier. Once you get it free, repeat several times and it will start to exercise the latch and cable and get it working better and free it up. Or wait the next 6 months before you need it again, and just remember you have to push down on the back of the folded seat as you pull up on the lever, that will free up the latch to let go, let go of the rear seat and it will tumble forward.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had some trouble getting my 2nd row to tumble, pushing down on the rear of the seat while fiddling with the lever gets it to release every time. Took me awhile to figure that out. Greased everything heavily and its a little easier now.

I sprayed the latches down with lithium grease.
They tumble foward easily now..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks All for your kind reply's to this thread

I tried all your suggestions, (incl, moving the lever while pushing the back of the folded seat and jiggling around and exercising force..) but to no avail, the seat wont move an inch, its stuck and wont tumble,

Is there a way to take the whole middle row off and removing it to get my hands on the latch mechanism to grease it probably (without tumbling the seat obviously, like in the manual)

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
2nd Row Seats Removal (40/20/40)

Thanks All for your kind reply's to this thread

I tried all your suggestions, (incl, moving the lever while pushing the back of the folded seat and jiggling around and exercising force..) but to no avail, the seat wont move an inch, its stuck and wont tumble,

Is there a way to take the whole middle row off and removing it to get my hands on the latch mechanism to grease it probably (without tumbling the seat obviously, like in the manual)

Thanks,
Hey there. I know its an old thread but hopefully this will help any newer Jeep Commander owners, and save them time and energy.

Here's a PDF from Chrysler on how to remove the second row. You will need to tumble them in order to access the bolts that secure the row to the floor.

If you are having a hard time tumbling them and you don't actually have any physically broken components, I did an adjustment and it totally saved my skin. I will post the in the following post.

Best of luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are having a hard time tumbling them and you don't actually have any physically broken components, I did an adjustment and it totally saved my skin. I will post the in the following post.
I ran across this Technical Service Bulletin in another thread, but thought it could be useful as this just fixed issues in my second row seats.
I couldn't get them to tumble for the life of me, but after these adjustments both sides work almost flawlessly. You could still have an issue where a cable or actuator gear cam could be broken and this probably wont fix it though.

As I was doing this I noticed the springs underneath the seats above the two tabs, (see #3 on Figure 3) were almost rusted solid. I put some WD40 on it (2 coats) and then went on with the adjustments following each step.

At the end everything worked, and before I sealed it all back up with the trim panels, I made sure to WD40 each cam gear and spring underneath the panels. You'll want to start from the fully upright position and pull the side handle up to the first click to let the seat back fall. Use the seats momentum as it's falling forward to help it tumble upwards. As it hit the horizontal position, you will want to pull the lever up to the second click to initiate the tumble. This works best for me after these adjustments.

So far so good, don't think I'll be having this issue anymore. Good luck!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts