Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Once again I write asking for assistance...

My middle row passenger side seat wont lift up. The back rest drops to the horizontal position, but after that it wont lift up to allow access to the rear.

Is there a way of doing this without the use of the handle on the seat base or the strap handle at the rear of the seat (as both dont appear to be working).

Once again I fear its Jeep's poor build quality comming to the surface...

Now I see why these things are soooo cheap in the USA!!!:stickpoke:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Man you really, really seem to be having issues with your Commander, I feel bad for you. I wonder if you have something caught in the latching mechanism under the seat, like the carpet puckered up, like a cleaning cloth or something like that got trapped in there, meaning the mechanism won't open back up properly.

Have you tried lifting the lever and then as you hold it, have someone move the seat side to side to try and release it..? Have you rolled up the center seat to look at it from the other side?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man you really, really seem to be having issues with your Commander, I feel bad for you. I wonder if you have something caught in the latching mechanism under the seat, like the carpet puckered up, like a cleaning cloth or something like that got trapped in there, meaning the mechanism won't open back up properly.

Have you tried lifting the lever and then as you hold it, have someone move the seat side to side to try and release it..? Have you rolled up the center seat to look at it from the other side?
The center seat does not roll up either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son and I tried to lift up the seat together, I even tried doing it with a large piece of wood under the seat to prize it up...but nothing.

I cant see or feel anything jammed under the latch.

I only have the one seat that folds up now, and that is on the drivers side, which is not good for letting the kids out on to the road!!!

I really love this car, and to have to complain about it so often really bugs me, it hurts to know that now I really cannot trust anything on it....its such a shame!

·
Registered
70 Posts
My middle seats seem to stick sometimes too... What we end up doing is putting the seat back in the verticle position and use the momentum of the seat folding down along with lifting up on the handle to get it. I've noticed that if the seat is half way folded down, it's really difficult to get it to flip forward. I can only seem to get it in that one smooth motion or it doesn't work. Hope this helps a little bit, good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also, to me, it seems they do that on purpose really. If you need the back completly flat to cary something (tv, plywood, whatever...) then it makes sense for it not to flip forward. If you think about it, the only time you would need it to go all the way forward would be when the seat is in the upright position anyway because you have people in the middle and third row... I don't know, but I would hope the designers planned this and this was the reasoning ;)

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
UK Commander, I thought you were selling your XK. What's up with the proces??

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UK Commander, I thought you were selling your XK. What's up with the proces??
I'm not selling it, I'm keeping it as our family people carrier as I have 4 kids, the Cayenne arrives on Thursday as its stuck on a transporter due to the bad weather here and thus has slowed delivery to me.

The Jeep will still remain a member of the family....well, for now!!!!!

Plus she drove a dream today in the six inches of snow we had drop on us from a high. 150mile round trip in good deep snow....ahh what fun!!!:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
The center seat does not roll up either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son and I tried to lift up the seat together, I even tried doing it with a large piece of wood under the seat to prize it up...but nothing.

I cant see or feel anything jammed under the latch.
Hmmm, I was going to ask if there was a toy soldier or a stray kid's toy trapped in there at all. I'll have a look at mine tonight and see if I can shed any light on this. However, I don't have any kids and don't need to get in the back often.

As for the snow, I am totally jealous, all my mates back in the UK keep posting snow pics on facebook! I miss snow, since moving from Scotland to Texas! Bah. Hey ho, we had an ice storm last week, so what am I complaining about!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had this issue also this weekend. Nothing caught in there either. I just kept working the seat back and the lever and it eventually broke loose.

I'm with you on this. I've been having a few problems with the XK but I don't want to give up hope because I love the way it drives.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UK, have you tried pulling the nylon tether attached to the back of the seat?
I've tried that one several times! Yep...Nothing.

It seems to me that the mechanism is loose compared to the other passenger seat....looks like it could be another warranty trip to the dealer.

Both the handle and the nylon strap appear slack, there's no friction in the movement before the seat flips up like there is on the other side.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm, I was going to ask if there was a toy soldier or a stray kid's toy trapped in there at all. I'll have a look at mine tonight and see if I can shed any light on this. However, I don't have any kids and don't need to get in the back often.

As for the snow, I am totally jealous, all my mates back in the UK keep posting snow pics on facebook! I miss snow, since moving from Scotland to Texas! Bah. Hey ho, we had an ice storm last week, so what am I complaining about!
You missed a damn good snow storm, cars eveywhere!!! My my trusty Jeep got me through it, and it was a pleasure knowing that I was safe, mobile and warm!

I've been squashed into the 3rd row with a torch looking for kids objects (not a good move with a slipped disc in my neck), I've even used the kids little hands to feel for toys etc and nothing....I fear the latch mech has given-up on me.....typical :)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found what the problem was...a busted release mechanism...oh well back to the dealer for a warranty repair!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
The same exact thing happened to my 2006 XK last week. I was able to pry one of the two latches up (one is plastic.. the other metal) on the right side with a large flat screwdriver (facing the back of the vehicle) .. The left side was free when I pulled the nylon strap. I ended up dislodging the latch mechanism spring from the top side (pull back the seat cloth piece at the baby seat latch bar). You'll see what appears to be a gray gear mated to a dark gray gear responsible for latching the seat down.

Now the seat only latches on the left side (closest to the passenger door) ... So the chair has slop when it's down. Ugh... chock another one up to poor build quality. :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
UPDATE: Dealer suggests $850 seat replacement.

I had my XK at the dealership today ... Oil change is done... But the malfunctioning seat latch is not. Service adviser says I need a new seat frame ($850) ... Which I immediately declined service for.

So... I've got a little project to disassemble the seat to try to fix the problem :) If that doesn't work ... then it's off to a body shop to see if I can get it fixed for less than $850 ...

I'm bummed that the interior seating is not covered under the "Added Care Plus Plan" I bought with the vehicle, which covers the major components only (no Body or Interior Manual Systems).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts