Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read previous discussions about removing the middle seat in the middle row, but has anyone removed the seat back and/or bottom without removing the whole row. Is it possible to just remove both parts to install a box?
I want to put a cooler/fridge in it's place and I am not sure how to remove it in a 40/20/40 without removing the whole row. Help????

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
not trying to be a smart ass but I would think you could remove the whole row and cut the frame out in the middle. Then mount the two side seats back in. I would look into getting a donor seat row from a salvage yard to experiment on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea and another question

Your not being a SA... Good idea.

Debating on going to the salvage yard tomorrow or just removing the whole thing since the kiddos sit in the rear seat anyway. Only problem is now I want to experiment and see what I can come up with. May hit the salvage yard either way.

Another question..

Checked Smitty (they don't) but does anyone know if there is replacement seat that has a lower back for the rear? Removed the headrest and bars, but still wanna see a little more.

May have to check the salvage yard and see what I can do with taking the whole thing apart, modifying it, and recovering it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Bit of bad news for you; middle seat on the middle row would be near impossible to extract by itself. The seat back may be able to be removed, but the bottom portion is integrated onto a bench-type assembly that the outer seats rely on. Unless you plan on some serious fabrication, I would look into mounting a cooler elsewhere, like in the driver's console.

As for modifying the third row, There's a picture on my Facebook page that shows the seat with the skin off. It's pretty much just a stamped steel backplate and foam, but I think you may be limited to what you can trim off by the latch mechanism that holds the seat up while driving, or in the event of a crash. Would be cool if someone could engineer fold-flat jump seats to go back there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We use to have a jeep dealership and I have some guys who I might give a call. Between the guys at Corbeau and the ones on our racing team, someone has to be able to do it. Wonder if anyone has seen one anywhere? Just a shorter safari bench or something with a vintage style and a tubular steel frame that can be popped out instead of folding. Wish I still managed a service department, I'd have the guys working on it tonight.
Liked the pics, heated second row seats...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts