Jeep Commander Forum banner

Are you going to attend Camp Commander @ Flagpole / Aug 12 -15, 2010?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Regional Info -

Flagpole Knob is located in the George Washington National Forest, along the border of Virginia and West Virginia.

Average Highs / Precipitation:
July 70.3 / 3.68

August 72.8 / 4.45

September 63.1 / 1.13

Elevation: 4190 ft.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Events

Event Planning

Thursday - Arrive

Friday - Go 4 wheeling
Bring your musical instruments and play for us.

Saturday - Go to town and gas up
Go 4 Wheeling

Campfire Stories

Sunday - Go 4 wheeling

Go Home

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Things to Do

Here are things to do in the area.
Fishing Plenty of area lakes for trout fisihing. 1 day licenses are available on line
Hone Quarry Recreational Area is located along a beautiful trout stream. In addtion, there is a small lake which is stocked with trout for fishing.
Hiking - Dont get lost
Boats - In the lakes, horsepower restrictions.
Camping: At the bottom of the mountain is Hone Quarry. It offers fee camping ($5.00 per night) No Facilities other than a dirty pit toilet.

Camping: On the hilltop!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here are things to do in the area.
Fishing Plenty of area lakes for trout fisihing. 1 day licenses are available on line
Hone Quarry Recreational Area is located along a beautiful trout stream. In addtion, there is a small lake which is stocked with trout for fishing.
Hiking - Dont get lost
Boats - In the lakes, horsepower restrictions.
Camping: At the bottom of the mountain is Hone Quarry. It offers fee camping ($5.00 per night) and has facilities.
One quick thing about fishing. Wether you are a resident of Va or non-resident, you will need a freshwater fishing liscense AND a trout liscense when fishing in a designated trout stream. Here is state link.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/licenses.asp#fees

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Is the date set for 21 - 22 May 10?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm Interested what date?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I vote for August... Any other weekend then the 23 and 24th. I can't miss my 15 year wedding anniversary! Oh, and no - the wife would not like to spend the anniversary up at Flagpole.

Welcome to the North River Ranger District

Maps - Motor Vehicle Use Maps

Skidmore Reservoir
If you would like to fish in one of the most beautiful places in the Commonwealth, then Skidmore Reservoir is the place for you. This 118-acre city of Harrisonburg reservoir is located in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. It is deep and contains clear, cold water, which is required for year round trout habitat.

Therefore, the lake is managed as a "put and grow" trout lake through annual fingerling brook trout stocking. The lake provides good fishing year-round for brook trout and "brookies" up to three pounds have been caught. Gill net samples, conducted in October 2001, revealed excellent brook trout survival and growth with many fish from 12-16 inches. There is a 10-inch minimum size regulation for trout. All trout under10 inches must be released. Several nice channel catfish were also captured during sampling.

The lake also contains an excellent warm water fishery consisting of largemouth bass and crappie. Bluegill, pumpkinseed, hybrid sunfish, rock bass, and bullhead catfish are small but abundant. There are no developed facilities at Skidmore Reservoir. A primitive boat launch and parking area exists; and bank access is possible all along the west side and upper end of the lake via the forest road.

The lake is accessible only by Forest Development Road (FDR) 227 off Route 33 west of Harrisonburg, near the West Virginia State line.

·
Registered
887 Posts
One quick thing about fishing. Wether you are a resident of Va or non-resident, you will need a freshwater fishing liscense AND a trout liscense when fishing in a designated trout stream. Here is state link.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/licenses.asp#fees

Smitty,

These are apparently not required year round.

Designated Stocked Trout Waters

"Designated stocked trout waters" include those waters that are stocked with harvestable-sized trout and are listed by the Director in the annual Trout Stocking Plan (PDF). These waters will only be considered designated stocked trout waters from October 1 through June 15 (trout license required). A trout license is not required from June 16 through September 30. Trout angling hours on designated stocked trout waters are from 5:00 a.m. until one hour after sunset. See exceptions for Trout Heritage Waters (below), Urban Program Waters (below) and Pay-As-You-Go Trout Fishing. Designated stocked trout waters are posted by the Department with appropriate "stocked trout waters" signs.

Fishing License Information & Fees

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Votes for the Flagpole Camp Commander were heading toward mid august.
But I dont think it was finalized.

I plan on going to Flagpole in May though.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
How many days will this trip be for? Did the ones that went last year have enough time to wheel as much as you wanted?

I would like to see thoughts about the weekend of Aug. 14 & 15. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Last year , we (most of us) got there on Fri., late morning. A couple guys came in on thursday I believe. We got up Sunday and packed up and guys started heading home after breakfast. I think we got in some fantastic trail riding, both fri and sat. We looked for more trails on sat but some trails that had been open years prior had been closed by the city of Harrisonburg for their "watershed". Basically, everything in the mountains belongs to the forestry dept and everything down on the lowland belongs to Harrisonburg. There are other trails to be found , even over in West Va. West Va is only a mile or so up the road from the exit of one trail. I'm hoping CrzCajun can find out from his NORVA Jeepers buddies where the other trails might be. That being said, there may be enough time for one more trail, as we didnt go out at night. The trails we went on were 12 miles long or so, and I mean trails, not gravel roads. They take some time to travel.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Do you know which trails/roads you guys went on?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have only been using the map that [email protected] posted earlier. I also found a website of fellow off-roaders have posted.

1-Take Rt 33 West toward FR 502. (~13.8 miles West of the gas station.)
1a- Pass SR 613 @ mile ~9.0.
2-Turn right (on FR 502) @ mile ~13.8.

FR 502 (Second Mountain Trail) to and past FR 442 (Dictum Ridge Road) at ATV
staging area. Then cross over FR 72 (Long Run Road on some maps) and
continue on FR 502 (still) toward and onto FR 240 (Gauley Ridge Road / Old
Long Run Road (good sections along stream)). Can leave at FR 72 by turning
right.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FR 502 rating: 3-5 dry, A lot of challenging areas, Rocky, water holes, etc.
on first half. 4wd is needed. Then it's a fairly easy
drive to FR 240.
FR 240 rating: 4-5, Can be 6-8+ if road has wash outs at creek crossing or
stream is up.
NOTE: If you're going alone, be sure your w
inch is working.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trails are in DeLorme's Virginia Atlas, pg 72 (D3-4).

1 - 20 of 273 Posts