Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
Yes. Just cycle through the modes by pressing step button ( in the C/T, reset, step, menu , ) information center cluster on the ac control panel.
At least that's how mine works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been on 0 miles to empty for a full day a few times. Not sure how accurate these things are, lol. I've read some vehicles have 2 gallons or more left when they say 0 miles to empty. I've tried to track my gas mileage after the lift and tires and this gauge makes that tough as it's deceiving and I find myself searching for a gas station when I see it on 0.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I've driven the hell out of the XK with the gas light on and the EVIC saying 0 MILES. Considering the XK tank is 20 gallons, even after driving it FAR past where I've felt comfortable I've never been able to get more than 19 gallons into the tank. This means there's a considerable safety margin factored in. However, its definitely NOT a good idea to to do this. The fuel warning is triggered by the temperature of the fuel pump, not the gas level. Continued use of the fuel pump in this state will eventually cause a premature failure of the pump.

<EDIT>
I guess I should have mentioned that the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank. When the gas level gets to a low level it does not adequately cool the pump and triggers a temperature sensor that activates the low fuel level light.

·
Banned
105 Posts
The miles to empty seems to be guesstimates based on what the computer thinks the recent MPG is.
When I swapped the motor and had it idling for long stretches it thought we would be on empty in less than 100 miles with a almost full tank. After I reset the computer again (disconnected the battery to do another job) it reset to 400 mile range to empty then was disappointed cause the tank was not full dropping rapidly in the firstb30 mile trip. Took a few tanks to get it reading some what accurately for range.

But I've driven it twice past the 0 mark and with the gauge on e and fuel warning, wouldn't recommend it but the jeeps Bingo fuel has a gallon or two to go. With a 21.1 gallon tank, and I've never put more than 19 gallons in either after driving at 0 and fuel light on.

Didn't know there was a heat sensor for the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts