Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the transmission serviced by the same place where we do our company trucks. They’re a trusted transmission rebuilding business, with a perfect BBB rating. A few years ago, they rebuilt my Durango’s transmission, and it worked great ‘til the day I traded it for the Commander.

So… I’m thinking I can safely believe what they say when I picked up the Jeep after it was done. One of the mechanics said ‘’You made a good choice with buying that Jeep.’’ I asked why and we got into a discussion of Jeep running gear. They had just worked on a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. The guy had burned up the reverse clutches in it, and it was expensive to rebuild. The guys thought its transmission was light duty, with only 2 reverse clutch packs and the like, so the shop foreman looked up the part numbers in a cross reference.

Turns out, the Wrangler has a V6 engine as the only option for a real good reason – the Wrangler, Rubicon included, uses the same transmission as a Dodge Caravan. The transmission is turned sideways in the Caravan, of course, as it’s a transverse setup. The end case housing is different, but the innards are all the same. A 4.7L or Hemi would rip its guts out, and warranty might never cover them. Apparently, the burned up clutches weren’t covered, Chrysler decided it was ‘’abuse’’ so the Rubicon owner had to foot the bill. They said the rest of the Jeep running gear is okay, (Dana axles etc.) but the tranny is a bad weak link.

The tranny in the XK however is also used in Mercedes M class vehicles. According to the tranny shop guys, mine will probably never fail. The fluid was still clean and red with its 32,000 miles on it. It’s the first service on my XK as the manual calls for every 30k miles, and things looked like they’ve never been touched. The XK transmission also has two filters, one being a spin-on filter. It’s a tough tranny besides which the computer’s drive-by-wire limits the torque fed to it. I’ve noticed that too. Put your foot hard to the floor sometime - the computer will let up on the throttle for you and reapply it after the shift. It feels like a manual transmission shifting. That really saves wear and tear on bands and clutches.

It’s not the cheapest thing to service because of the synthetic type 4 fluid, but at least it’s every 30k miles. The shop says they usually recommend service every 20k miles for most typical cars. It was $175 for the tranny and transfer case service. The transfer case uses special Mopar fluid made just for the NP245 and nothing else. (Needless to say, Chrysler dealers see you coming for the fluid costs!)

I can sleep better now, knowing that I almost bought a 4 door Wrangler. Now, I’m REALLY glad I didn’t go that route. I don’ want no stinkin’ minivan transmission in MY Jeep Commander! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is the trans on the V6 models the same as the V8 models?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Always interesting to read your posts. I learn a lot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
X2 you always provide a good read. The engine and trans in the JK is from the minivan and from what I have heard on other forums they are nothing but trouble. I have also heard that when they do work they are seriously underpowered. The one reason I did not get a 4 door JK is for the engine and the transmission. Good info Adondo and thanks.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Good info!!! That is good to know. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When yall talk of the tranny, are you differentiating between QT1, QD2, QD or is the difference just in the transfer case setup? Am I making sense? Is the basic automatic tranny in the Commander the same for all engine packages?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the trans on the V6 models the same as the V8 models?
I'm sure all XK's have the same transmission. The paddle shift is part of the whole setup. There's a couple of transfer case options though. If it has a two speed case and/or the little T-bar shifter, then it's the NP245. The other is the single (speed) mode unit. Both are built tough.

One thing I like about that tidbit of info is on forums etc. where JK owners think their excrement is odorless as they look down their noses at XK owners for not buying a ''real'' Jeep. My reply to that is ''It's too bad the Rubicon doesn't have a ''real'' transmission underneath it.''

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If I were to ever get sick of the XK id buy a 2 door JK and just swap in a 4.7 Liter engine and tranny out of a Commander or Grand Cherokee. Then I wouldnt have to worry about the garbage 3.8 liter engine and tranny they use.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier... wouldn't it be just as likely that the minivan has the same transmission as the Wrangler, rather than the other way around?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be a positive selling point to say that, "Hey, look at this Caravan, it has the same transmission as the WRANGLER! You know that it has to be good."

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier... wouldn't it be just as likely that the minivan has the same transmission as the Wrangler, rather than the other way around?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be a positive selling point to say that, "Hey, look at this Caravan, it has the same transmission as the WRANGLER! You know that it has to be good."

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hate to rain on everybody's half full glass but............

1. Only the 3.7 Has the Mercedes Based Auto Tranny
2. The 4.7 & 5.7 Have a Chrysler tranny that is actually a 6 speed, uses two separate second gears depending on situation.
3. The Tranny in the Wrangler is sadly from the Minivan, as it has been paired aired with that engine for quite a few years.

:banana_hitit:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The question is, which came first? The minivan or the Wrangler?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
If a Wrangler gets stuck in the woods and no one is around to recover it, does it make a noise?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If a Wrangler gets stuck in the woods and no one is around to recover it, does it make a noise?
Yes, a sucking sound. :D

How many minivans do you see with Hemi's? Or ANY V-8 for that matter? They're either 4 or 6 cylinders. The only common thread is that their engines are gutless.

By the way, that glass is neither half full, nor half empty. It was made twice as big as it needed to be. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So, if someone in a Wrangler gives me a hard time saying I drive a "mom mobile" I can happily say at least I don't have mini van parts in my ride!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
BTW- Thanks Adondo. Always posting up some good stuff...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Because the chicken was driving.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts