Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Bought used 2007 Commander and it has an empty lighter socket on the left side (there is a blank plug of some kind in there though).

Can I simply pry out that plug and have a "hot" plug ?

·
2,248 Posts
Those are both 12 outlets. One is switched by the ignition and the other is always hot.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The blank plus is basically a dust cover.

·
2,248 Posts
Drivers side is switched......passenger side live at all times.

Rob

See I knew that someone smarter than me would know which one was switched off when the ignition was turned off.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Can I simply pry out that plug and have a "hot" plug ?
Yes the plug will easily come out and you can plug in a cig. lighter if you want one. Most cars do not come with one anymore as smoking has such a negative position.

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,101 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
It will be completely blank unless the XK came with the smokers package...Mine has a rubber cover that came with it that you can just pull out with out damaging anything. But yours could be different.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes the plug will easily come out and you can plug in a cig. lighter if you want one. Most cars do not come with one anymore as smoking has such a negative position.
There is a smoker's option or so I was told. Lighter and ash tray. Think the ash tray fits in one of the drink holders.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the ash tray goes in either one of the drink holders or the molded shelf under the AC console. I could be wrong because I didnt get the smokers package...But I find the shelf were people mount their CBs (the left of steering wheel dash shelf) to be useful in holdnig my cigarettes and lighter :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Really cannot tell from your picture but it looks like you have no socket to except the lighter part, is that correct?

Mine was wired with the socket it just did not come with the smokers package and I didn't need it, I can plug accessories into it and they will work if the ignition is on.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Looks like someone stuck something in the recepticle to me.....like a plastic plug.
If this is the case you could also try drilling a small hole in the center of the plug and use a needle nose pliers or cleaning hook to pull the plug out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Id try exactly what robby said that how I would try it...Haven't seen anything like that before...usually one had a decent lip or tab on the end to pull to displace it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts