Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need some input on this small problem! I leased a 2006 JC with about 5,500 miles on it. I love this thing!!! anyways I get home and open the hood just to see were everything is at IE..oil dipstick, power steering dipstick...... for the life of me I couldn't find the damn transmission dip stick anywhere. My brain kick in and said Hey Dumbice check the owner's manual!!! I check the manual and sure enough it showed the transmission dipstick near the firewall on the right side of the engine compartment. I recheck the location and I found what appeared to be a tube (for the trans dipstick) but it had a plug in it that said "service personal only".

I took the JC back to the dealer and I said how I'm I suppose to check the fuild in the transmission without a dipstick. Their reply was that your suppose to bring the JC into the service dept. so they can check it with a special dipstick!!!!!! I said WHAT!!! I've never heard of that, so your going to charge me to bring the JC in just to check the transmission fuild!! They said yes and that Chrysler is making them do that.

Question, does everyone have a dipstick except me!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Which engine (dictates the transmission)? Where are you located? I have a 2007 Commander (5.7L) with a transmission dipstick.

The thing is about 17 miles long and it is a bit of a trick to get it back in.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
starbuck said:
I took the JC back to the dealer and I said how I'm I suppose to check the fuild in the transmission without a dipstick. Their reply was that your suppose to bring the JC into the service dept. so they can check it with a special dipstick!!!!!! I said WHAT!!! I've never heard of that, so your going to charge me to bring the JC in just to check the transmission fuild!! They said yes and that Chrysler is making them do that.
I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for them to require you to have to go to a dealer for service. Maybe it is because it is a lease vehicle?

·
Registered
473 Posts
just checked ours. no dipstick. and we're not leasing it.
maybe the 3.7s are like this. the cap says same as other posters says.

wonder what happens if you take your JC to a quik lube for service? can they check this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not missing, you dont get one, instead you have a black plastic cap on the tube that dealer service only. We have a special tool for checking it, it looks a lot like a dipstick, lol. Actually it is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid not meant to be serviced and we check it with our dipstick and a scanner to reead the trans fluid temp. We then check a chart to see how high it should be at the current temp. I wouldnt let JiffyLube or any other quick lube touch my DCX trans, they really do need Mopar ATF+4 fluid to work properly. DCX not making this clear enough is what lead to so many of the problems they had in the 90s with transmissions. Trans fluid, and many others especially transfer case fluid, power steering and even coolant can be very specific from one OEM to another these days and really do make a difference so stick with factory fluids when called for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ktek01 said:
Not missing, you dont get one, instead you have a black plastic cap on the tube that dealer service only. We have a special tool for checking it, it looks a lot like a dipstick, lol. Actually it is supposed to be "lifetime" fluid not meant to be serviced and we check it with our dipstick and a scanner to reead the trans fluid temp. We then check a chart to see how high it should be at the current temp. I wouldnt let JiffyLube or any other quick lube touch my DCX trans, they really do need Mopar ATF+4 fluid to work properly. DCX not making this clear enough is what lead to so many of the problems they had in the 90s with transmissions. Trans fluid, and many others especially transfer case fluid, power steering and even coolant can be very specific from one OEM to another these days and really do make a difference so stick with factory fluids when called for.

Could you elaborate more on this lifetime fluid thing????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stats:
2006 Jeep Commander
3.7L V6

Seems Ktek01 is right on the money, I went back to dealer this afternoon talked to the Service Manager and he took the time and went into explaining why their is not a transmission dipstick on the JC 3.7L V6. he said that the owners manual's were printed ahead of time before Chrysler made the decision not to install the dipsticks (hence it shows the dipstick in the manual) also he laughed a little and said that thier is no charge for them checking the transmission fuild level, he said when the check the level and the temp of the oil this gives some idea of how the transmission's are working, and that the transmission fuild is lifetime like Ktek01 said.

I don't know if this is just for the 3.7L's or not but if you have the 4.7 or the Hemi and they have the dipstick then I would say its just for the 3.7L's not having the dipsticks. (I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you use the right Mopar trans oil as well! not after market trans oil.) The manager also said that this prevents the do it yerselfers from putting in the wrong type of transmission fuild as well as the jiffy lube outlets and other quick change outlets. So it seems that Chrysler is trying to cover its own ass from not having alot of bad transmission's. I don't mind the problem now since it was explained to me by the Chrysler Service Manager and the forums own Ktek01.

I just wish they would of explain this to me when they gave me a walk though when I picked up the JC, I should of caught this when they where showing were the oil dipstick etc was at at the time of delivery...duhhh......

Anyway I hope this helps out other 3.7L V6 owner's that fnd they don't have a tranmission dipstck as well and are scratching their heads..... Thanks again for all the input......

·
Registered
204 Posts
chaman said:
Could you elaborate more on this lifetime fluid thing????
They claim it is filled for life and never needs to be serviced, I dont quite agree but thats the claim. I think it is more DCX trying to keep people from putting in the wrong fluid, if you search the Allpar site you will find articles about how much this contributed to their trans woes in the 90s. A lot of it is what starbuck complained about, nobody giving him a good walkthrough on the maint requirements, fluid requirements etc. The big 3 are bad about this, sales people usually dont know anything about this stuff, but can tell you on the spot exactly how many cupholders it has and where they all are located. This is how Honda really made its rep, they trained the sales staff on maint requirements and to push the need for regular service right from the start. The owners started off on the right foot and took care of their cars, which of course made them relieable and started the reputation that they still enjoy today. American OEMs like to pretend that service isnt needed and love to make such claims, the owners are only too happy to believe them, and the cars dont get serviced until they break. The big 3 still havent learned that lesson after all these years. You can improve the cars all you want, but promoting a culture of non-maintenance will still lead to broken cars and a bad reputation.

You can buy the special tool dipstick online, I believe Wyckoff Chrysler sells them and you should be able to find the chart and at least do a cold check without the scan tool. I also noticed genuine Mopar ATF+4 on the shelf at WalMart for under $5 a quart the other day.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ktek01 said:

Far as I am concerned that SUCKS. I NEVER believe in ANY fluid being permanent. My 2001 Manual tranny TJ also says LIFETIME fluid. I now have 78k miles on it and I have changed the tranny fluid 4 times. Plus I now us AMSOIL manual tranny fluid which is a SYNTHETIC and provides far better lubrication and is formulated SPECIFICICALLY for the NV3550 TRANNY and says so RIGHT ON THE BOTTLE. I have a very smooth shifting tranny compared to my friends who have followed the manual and every time I change the fluid ESPECIALLY the first time I find metal particals on the magnetic drain plug.
I would LIKE to use the AMSOIL automatic tranny fluid for my 5.7L Hemi Commander. It is formulated for ANY automatic tranny. I normally do all my OWN fluid changes cause I dont trust anyone I dont know messing with my jeeps and as a result I have never had an engine or tranny failure and I got one jeep with 300k miles on it. john

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
bravo2376 said:
So I wonder if they have had a lot of trany problems with the 3.7 in the past? Or why they just singled out the 3.7 for that.:confused:
I believe that the 3.7L uses the tranny out of the last generation Mercedes S-Class. The 4.7L and 5.7L use a revised version of a common Dodge/Chrysler transmission.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct the 3.7 liters without a dipstick are the models which have the Mercedes built transmission, If you have ever owned a Mercedes you would know to not even look for a dipstick for the tranny fluid or any other fluids for that matter. Dip stick or no dip stick I would rather have a Mercedes transmission than the Japenese pieces of junk jeep use to use in all of its models.

David

·
Registered
556 Posts
david803sc said:
Correct the 3.7 liters without a dipstick are the models which have the Mercedes built transmission, If you have ever owned a Mercedes you would know to not even look for a dipstick for the tranny fluid or any other fluids for that matter. Dip stick or no dip stick I would rather have a Mercedes transmission than the Japenese pieces of junk jeep use to use in all of its models.

David
I think if they had total control and choice, they would lock the hood on all vehicles over here too. Need washer fluid? take it in and spend 20 Euro for a fill up.
Not to go far off subject, I was filling up my washer fluid the other day for the first time, and it is the bigest dang reservoir I've ever seen. Kinda sucks when your vehicle's wahser fluid tank is almost as big as the gas tank:p

·
Registered
51 Posts
How do you check trans. fluid?

I developed a leak in my trans. pan gasket. I tried to check the fluid but there is no dipstick. My wife works at a local Import car repair shop and they told her it has to be done by the dealer. What's up wit dat? can anybody help?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What is the year and engine size of your XK? I just changed the oil on my Commander on Saturday and I definately have a transmission dipstick. Its right next to the oil dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
If you have a 3.7 there is no dipstick. Dealer serviceable only.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts