Jeep Commander Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
They aren't the only one

Ford is doing the no trans stick also. You can only get the system serviced at the dealer. There is a check valve in the lines to prevent unautorized service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '06 Commander w/the 3.7L engine & 77150 miles; I recently had the rear gear and pinion changed along with the ring bearing.

Now I have the check engine light on indicating PO734 (improper gear ratio in 4th gear). The transmission now starts off in 3rd or 4th gear, and also the autoshift malfunctions.

Can someone tell me whether or not removal of the driveshaft is necessary to service the rear end? Also, would removal of the driveshaft cause the transmission fluid to be low?

The shop that repaired the rear end stated the work they performed would not cause the transmission problems I'm now having. Ironically, I was not having transmission problems before they (4WheelParts) serviced my vehicle. I appreciate any input you can provide.

Peace,
JMEJAM

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yes, the driveshaft had to be removed.
If your Commander is a 4X4, no trans fluid would be lost.
I am not certain on the arrangement under a 4X2 so.....if there is a flange attached to the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft is BOLTED to that flange, no trans fluid would be lost.
If however, the driveshaft is not bolted to a flange at the front, a slip joint, then, is being used.
In that case, some trans fluid can be lost while the driveshaft is out of the vehicle.

OK, now that the lesson is over, the only thing that a repair shop could do to cause this is install the incorrect (gear tooth count) ring and pinion.

Starting off in 3rd gear is what this trans does when in 'get home' mode.....continued operation will destroy the trans.

If there was a low fluid condition you would have flairing on upshifts, front pump cavitation noise, possible delayed engagement.

AND.....what did you do to fail the differential?

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Robby thanks for the reply. My Commander is a 4x2. The differential didn't completely fail. I began to hear a grinding sound that would increase under acceleration and decrease under deceleration. Initially it was mis-diagnosed as seized rear callipers, hub bearings and something else I can't recall at this time. I finally found a mechanic (I'm in Honolulu) who thoroughly diagnosed it and ruled out the afformentioned issues...metal filings were found in the interior axle shafts...I then took it to 4WheelParts and they diagnosed the gear and pinion.

Once the work was completed That problem disappeared, but now I have a larger, more expensive one. We'll drop it off @ a local dealer Monday and pray it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So if the gear and pinion is not the same ratio as OE-spec, you're saying that will cause this issue and not low fluid? Thanks again.

JMEJAM

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Robby thanks for the reply. My Commander is a 4x2. The differential didn't completely fail. I began to hear a grinding sound that would increase under acceleration and decrease under deceleration. Initially it was mis-diagnosed as seized rear callipers, hub bearings and something else I can't recall at this time. I finally found a mechanic (I'm in Honolulu) who thoroughly diagnosed it and ruled out the afformentioned issues...metal filings were found in the interior axle shafts...I then took it to 4WheelParts and they diagnosed the gear and pinion.

Once the work was completed That problem disappeared, but now I have a larger, more expensive one. We'll drop it off @ a local dealer Monday and pray it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So if the gear and pinion is not the same ratio as OE-spec, you're saying that will cause this issue and not low fluid? Thanks again.

JMEJAM
A gear ratio change without updating the computer to recognize the change can make the trans go crazy.
It will shift too soon or too late, it will downshift at inappropriate times etc.

Keep the forum updated please,

Rob

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

JMEJAM
Yes if that's the case it's possible the dealer can simply reprogram the computer to accept the new ring and pinion and you will be fixed up.

Of course any number of other things could have happen too :( ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Rob & Yeggster...so "if" the new ring & pinion is the issue, I can simply ask the dealer reprogram the computer (is this the main ECU or a transmission computer?)...generally speaking, how likley is that? Also, what's the best course of action to rule out transmission problems? Or in other words, given what you know about my issue how would you attempt to resolve this issue?

Thanks again for your input...

JMEJAM

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well,
The dealer IS going to have to do some diagnostics.
I won't speak for Yeggster but you are only getting possible scenarios from me.....pure speculation.
However, you do need to contact the shop that did the final drive work to try to get the ratio question answered.
Questions along the lines of how are they certain the correct ring and pinion were recieved.

So, knowing you are getting speculative ideas, the process of diagnosis must begin.

Be aware, the real possibility of a trans failure does present itself and the repair shop was in possesion (ONLY) when the failure occured.
Beyond a incorrect part recieved and installed there really is nothing they could do to cause a trans failure.

Rob

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes again I agree with robby ... it's a best case scenario and possible ... but not assured ... my guess from the info presented here is 25 to 35% possibility .. not great odds :(

The shop who did the gears might have gotten the wrong part and didn't double check .. or assumed you wanted a different ratio? (it's a common request)

It's a simple matter to pull the rear diff cover and count the teeth ... or jack the Jeep up and count wheel turns vs. driveshaft turns (check on line for a tutorial how to do this)

Another possibility (but I'd say a remote one) (especially if you bought the Jeep used) is the stock ratio had already BEEN changed before and you got it ... and the shop switched back to stock ... even if you bought new someone could have ordered the Jeep with a non-stock rato ...

... your bigger rear axle (being a 4X2) is not the same as the ones in the 4X4's and it has many options for different ratios

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I just dropped my Jeep off @ the dealership; the service advisor said I should know something around lunchtime today. I purchased the vehicle new; however, the shop that did the rear-end suggested a different ratio "...to give more low-end torque...". The stock ratio was 3:07, and he suggested/ordered/installed one ratio lower than stock...the ratio installed was 3:21.

...I'll post an update as soon as I hear something.

Mahalo!
JMEJAM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Robby I was not testing you Sir...I'm not nearly smart enough to test anyone on the topic :) I just spoke with the service advisor...apparently the culprit is the new 3:21 gear and pinion set. Now I get to fight with 4WheelParts to rectify this problem. The mechanic cleared the code, road tested the Jeep again and the same code returned...more to follow. Thanks...

JMEJAM

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I'm guessing since the commander comes with different gears from the factory the computer can be changed to the new ratio. The only problem I for see for that is not having the option for the gear you installed which means they should put in the 3:73 gears for you for free. Just a common sense guess on my part I could be completely wrong

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The shop should have known you can't just swap gears like that ... (this is not a Jeep made in 1972! )

Hopefully the dealer can work it out ...

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Robby I was not testing you Sir...I'm not nearly smart enough to test anyone on the topic :) I just spoke with the service advisor...apparently the culprit is the new 3:21 gear and pinion set. Now I get to fight with 4WheelParts to rectify this problem. The mechanic cleared the code, road tested the Jeep again and the same code returned...more to follow. Thanks...

JMEJAM
Term: Sir........really not necessary.

Rob works fine.

But, for future questions always give as much of the story as possible.
Otherwise the chance of getting a accurate and useful response is diminished.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Missing Transmission Dipstick! Thanks Guys!

Yeggster & Robby, thanks for your input. I finally picked up my Commander from 4WheelParts yesterday after going back and forth with them (and the local Jeep dealership...who were great BTW) for the last month or so.

Long-story-short, 4WP finally found and installed a new factory gear & pinion set w/a ratio of 3:07 and all is now well. Prior to this, they told me my tranny was shot; I had it checked out by the dealership (leak tested and other troubleshooting). The dealership gave the tranny a clean bill of health; 4WheelParts then wanted to have it checked out by "their" transmission guy. He wanted to break down my trans since he could not find the cause of the problem, but I refused. We also tried a Hypertech Speedometer Programmer...to no a vail with the 3:21 set.

The manager @ 4WP finally read the writing on the wall; I maintained my position that they caused the problem so they should correct it without any further cost to me. My next step was lawsuit; fortunately I didn't have to go that far.

Thanks again for your assistance guys. I really appreciate it...

Peace,
JMEJAM

PS...Rob I say Sir as a matter of respect...21+ years in the Air Force...old habits die hard.

Thanks Again,
James

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for the update! Often we never hear back about these kinds of issues. Glad to worked out ... too bad you had to wait so long though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yea i got my 06 commander at carmax this summer and a week after having it we had to take it into the shop and it turns out it had metal shavings in the transmission but they couldnt check it because of the dumb dipstick thing and it was in the shop for over a month and i just got it bak. Its all fixed now but not having for half the summer took away alot of offroading oppertunities.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts