Jeep Commander Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change you fluids~!

I just became a member to learn more about the Commander. I am selling 03 VW W8 because the first owner never changed the lifetime fluid. Don't let this happen to you! My tranny is shot at 115k! Make sure you change that fluid at least every 40k if not more. Lets think about it, have fluids suddenly become immune to dirt?, are the filters never going to clog?, Are you going to only drive your Jeep in perfect weather on clean roads?, if not, the best thing that can be done is to find a dealer that knows what they are doing and change the fluid! I have a friend with a Grand Cherokee never changed the fluid, new tranny at 140K.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I had 73 Charger with a Chrysler A-904 3spd auto and still have a '69 Charger with a Chrysler A-727 spd auto. That RWD Big trans configuration, the trans fluid was considered a "lifetime" fluid, and I would check the fluid level regularly with the dipstick and never once over years had to add fluid. I've changed fluid, but known people that haven't and they turned over their speedo more than once and still had a good trans.

Of course, 100% valid arguement, the new trans are NOT your old 70's bullet proof trans with low geared rear ends that kept the stress off the trans.

I think the reason you may see the dipstick tube plugged is because Mercedes has years of testing and in the field data to show that there is NO appreciable fluid evaporation or consumption. They probably figure there is a bigger chance the owner would create problems by introducing dirt with a dipstick there, then would occurr from the fluid level dropping.

BUT, here's the big questions no one has asked or answered:

How do you take the Dealer Service Plug off?

Where do you find a Dipstick to purchase and replace that plug?

This is what I would like to do, rather check it myself from time to time, instead of just relying on faith the fluid level is still good.

I'll probably change the trans fluid at some point, figure its worth it, might save my trans.

Might install a trans temp gauge, which I did on my 2002 Grand Caravan with the notorious 4spd electronic FWD trans. That trans is going fairly strong at 186k miles, when usually they rarely last more than 60k miles. I also did fluid changes at every 30k miles, which is really required for this trans, that does NOT mean it needed for every trans.

Another thing most A-604 (FWD 4spd Electronic Trans) would do, is change all the fluid, NOT just what was in the pan, by disonnecting the return line from the cooler and running it to a bucket, with the motor idling, they would pour in fresh fluid at the same rate old fluid came out of the cooler hose.

Anyone try this with the Mercedes or Chrysler Commander Trans? I looked at the cooler line connections, they are some sort of funky fitting with some sort of rubber grommet in them. Has anyone tried to disconnect and reconnect these?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I figured out how to take the Plug off the dipstick tube for the NAG1/W5A580 Trans.

Simply twist counter clockwise. Its got a tight O-ring seal that is dry. Once you get it out, lube it with a drop of ATF+4 and its much easier to remove/replace.

Its a cam like deal, channels on the side of the plug, they ride along the dents punched into the sides of the dipstick tube. The plug press outward as it turns, half a turn counter clockwise and it pops right out.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Uhh, maybe there's a complicated reason they didn't give a dipstick with that transmission? Maybe involving a probe and computers to accurately check it?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Uhh, maybe there's a complicated reason they didn't give a dipstick with that transmission? Maybe involving a probe and computers to accurately check it?
Your a genius. Did you read that in the owners manual?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
You are correct regarding the probe (dipstick) and computer.
The dipstick has a adjustable stopper at the top and the stick has a scale printed on it.
By using the starscan, the fluid temperature can be recorded.
Then, using a conversion chart, the adjustable stopper is adjusted to the correct scale line on the dipstick and then the fluid level is checked.
This is specific to the trans supplied by Mercedes and it is because the trans won't tolerate a overfill condition.
The fluid, when at the correct level, is very close to the spinning planetary gears.
If it is overfilled, the gears will airate the trans fluid, causing a apply pressure loss and ultimatly, clutch slippage.
When clutches slip, in a automatic, they instantly glaze over and will never have the correct clamping value again.

Rob

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
My 41TE in my old mini-van had a temperature dependent scale on the dipstick, and even advice in the owners manual to estimate the temperature of the fluid.

BUT, like you stated, my 41TE was probably far more tolerant of a slight-moderate overfill condition.

I got the special tool dipstick off ebay, I intend on installing a Trans Temp gauge in the near future. I would think the special computer tool to read trans oil temp is just for speed and convience, a reasonable measure of the trans fluid temp would suffice for use on the table.

I've seen versions of the table with "range" of fluid fill, if NOT 100% confidence in your accuracy, I would think it would be wise to bias toward the lower end of the Range for fluid level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Far as I am concerned that SUCKS. I NEVER believe in ANY fluid being permanent. My 2001 Manual tranny TJ also says LIFETIME fluid. I now have 78k miles on it and I have changed the tranny fluid 4 times. Plus I now us AMSOIL manual tranny fluid which is a SYNTHETIC and provides far better lubrication and is formulated SPECIFICICALLY for the NV3550 TRANNY and says so RIGHT ON THE BOTTLE. I have a very smooth shifting tranny compared to my friends who have followed the manual and every time I change the fluid ESPECIALLY the first time I find metal particals on the magnetic drain plug.
I would LIKE to use the AMSOIL automatic tranny fluid for my 5.7L Hemi Commander. It is formulated for ANY automatic tranny. I normally do all my OWN fluid changes cause I dont trust anyone I dont know messing with my jeeps and as a result I have never had an engine or tranny failure and I got one jeep with 300k miles on it. john
I agree, I do all my own as well. Im going to read into all this a bit. Seems to me my tranny needs some fluid change. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK I need some input on this small problem! I leased a 2006 JC with about 5,500 miles on it. I love this thing!!! anyways I get home and open the hood just to see were everything is at IE..oil dipstick, power steering dipstick...... for the life of me I couldn't find the damn transmission dip stick anywhere. My brain kick in and said Hey Dumbice check the owner's manual!!! I check the manual and sure enough it showed the transmission dipstick near the firewall on the right side of the engine compartment. I recheck the location and I found what appeared to be a tube (for the trans dipstick) but it had a plug in it that said "service personal only".

I took the JC back to the dealer and I said how I'm I suppose to check the fuild in the transmission without a dipstick. Their reply was that your suppose to bring the JC into the service dept. so they can check it with a special dipstick!!!!!! I said WHAT!!! I've never heard of that, so your going to charge me to bring the JC in just to check the transmission fuild!! They said yes and that Chrysler is making them do that.

Question, does everyone have a dipstick except me!
I have a 2007 Jeep Commander, V6 3.7
I bought, Transmission Fluid Measuring Tool with $4.discount on Advance Auto. On online I paid to save and went into Local store to pick up tool.
You take rubber cork out, insert this 4’ long wire cord to measure fluid.
Scale goes from 10 to 120.
My level was at 105, but haven’t found out what level it should be at.
I plan to take tool back for my $18. Refund!
Bottom line, my cost to measure Transmission fluid is $0.

·
Administrator
6,840 Posts
I have a 2007 Jeep Commander, V6 3.7
I bought, Transmission Fluid Measuring Tool with $4.discount on Advance Auto. On online I paid to save and went into Local store to pick up tool.
You take rubber cork out, insert this 4’ long wire cord to measure fluid.
Scale goes from 10 to 120.
My level was at 105, but haven’t found out what level it should be at.
I plan to take tool back for my $18. Refund!
Bottom line, my cost to measure Transmission fluid is $0.
@Chief4Chiefs; Welcome to the forum;

Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts