Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As usual, our 5 day trip was way too short. But it was fun again this year. Our trails were 7-mile Rim on Friday, part of Gold Bar Rim and part of Hell's Revenge Saturday (ended up getting rained out until about 3:00pm, so by the time we hit Hell's Revenge, it was dark), and Metal Masher on Sunday. I ran the whole weekend with the front sway bar disconnected, that was a nice difference. I didn't lift a tire nearly as often as previous trips. Nobody sustained any damage though my passenger side Bilstein loosened up (drivers side did it a couple months ago). PIA. My plans for next year are 285's, custom front springs and possibly another inch of rear lift after I see how the front turns out. I got awful tired of banging the front componentry on rocks. Another two to three inches of clearance under the front diff will make a world of difference. So would a solid axle conversion. My brother and I were the only ones with cameras, so I didn't get as many cool obstacle shots as I had hoped. But here's a few to show the area.

Video of some of the trip - 7-mile Rim, Gold Bar Rim and Metal Masher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRwV_Sp2ZK0

Prepping for the GL4x4 skidplate which arrived a day before we left. I painted it at the rental condo in Moab and bolted it up while it was still tacky.

Playing around on some steps on 7-mile Rim - using the sliders.

Photo op on 7-mile Rim.

The gang in formation between Monitor and Merimac Buttes on 7-mile Rim.

I could sit here for hours.

Fast way back to hwy 191 and Moab is about 10 feet ahead...

Up a step.

Arth's Rim at the top of Metal Masher. Book says 1300 feet vertical drop. I believe.

On top of one of the slickrock domes on Hell's Revenge - night wheeling.

Coming down a dome on Hell Revenge.

Not many commanders in town. I saw a total of three. Two stockers and the one I was driving. Got a lot of looks, mostly skeptical I think. But it did all of Metal Masher without winching (and no, I didn't attempt Widowmaker or Rock Chucker), and I don't think that's too bad for 255/75's. Also, and as painfully usual, the rear lower control arm mounts hammered everything. They're looking pretty beat, time to weld up some little skids on them or something. But after all that, I drove home on Monday (about 350 miles) with no alignment issues or damage, so I calls it good.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Looks like you had a great time. Great pics too. Any video?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Great pics! looks like alot of fun.thanks for posting.Is that a corona on your frt bmper in the first pic?-43:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
521 Posts
AMAZING! These are great photo's and I am very jealous

I don't think that's too bad for 255/75's.
I was surprised you only have 255/75's! I have the same size tires and they look nothing like yours. I think that additional couple inches of lift gives the rubber some breathing room and makes them look bigger.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Great looking photos, your Commander almost looks like my twin.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother has some video - in particular the commander coming up Mirror Gulch on Metal Masher. I drove right up the step - it's beautiful. He's going to be converting the video pretty soon and I'll add it to my post.

It's a Bud Light Lime, but I was wishing it was a Corona. Ross should be commended on how well his bumper holds a beer!

The 255's are the Rubicon factory take-offs and I'm trying to wear them down so I feel more justified when I ditch them for some 285 km2's by next spring :)

Though it's probably not my place to really say this since I can't make Camp Commander this year even though it's in my own state, we should do a Camp Commander in Moab sometime. The weekend we were down there was the Land Cruiser event, so there were Toyotas everywhere. But I think it would be pretty easy to organize with the Town of Moab as a registered event.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nice pictures.

Also if you get the BDS rear adjustable control arms you can ditch the Superlift drop down brackets for the rear lower control arm. Then you wont bottom out as much on them.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting thought, 07 -

I will look into that.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Awesome pics, wish I'd come along for the trip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
loos great.. I wish I were there ^^

·
Registered
391 Posts
WOW! I wish we have mountains like that here in Mi..... Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very nice Commander, I like the subtle aggressive look.

You said you disconnected the front sway bar. Does that limit the IFS droop? Was there any issues with stress on the UCA, Ball Joint or any other component while over extending?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Udoxx -

I've noticed big gains in front articulation by having the sway bar disconnected. The superlift kit is designed such that the upper and lower a-arms (or control arms) are very close to factory spec. Since the strut is what limits downward travel when it tops out, the balljoints are designed to work to that limit. To answer your question - I had no problems with the balljoints. Frustratingly, both bilstein struts have had the strut shaft nut back off slightly, allowing the shaft to rattle around in the strut top plate. The annoying part of that is, to simply tighten the nut (after adding a couple washers) requires removal and partial disassembly of the strut. I had the drivers side done a while back and now the pass. side is doing it. I can look through the superlift strut spacer and see the nut backed off a couple turns. It's a simple fix, just annoying. If you look back at the picture where I'm climbing a step at sort of an angle, you can see the front is near its max droop, but the wheel has really dropped out nicely and is still on the ground, even though the slider is really supporting the right side of the XK. Check out the angle of the upper control arm.

I've been told that both the DC engineer who designed the front suspension for the XK/WK and the engineer who developed the Superlift/AEV kit paid attention to the droop such that balljoint failure would not occur when using only the supplied Superlift strut spacer :)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I've posted this pic before, but here's a look at the movement the front end is capable of without a swaybar connected. Long-arm JK guys would laugh but I think it's pretty good for IFS. With the bar connected, there is no way that rear tire would still be on the ground.

·
Registered
58 Posts
kmax, thanks for sharing, great shots!!!

what sliders are you using?

ps: i hate you..... lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Okay, those are some nice depictions of what I was looking for. Your CV looks fine on the right side but I wonder if your tie rod is stressed? Are you disconnecting the rear as well? Also, if your right tire had nothing to rest on how much further will that right tire droop, what stress are you looking at now?

I really like how your setup works and looks. I just don't know if it will be practical now as my wife drives ours to work everyday, did you see a huge drop in gas mileage and loss of uphill highway power?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts