Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a soccer tournament in Grand Junction the weekend of October 4th and 5th - I'm going to go up that Friday and want to run up to MOAB since it is so close - I only have the QT1 and the RR 2.25" lift - so I'm looking for suggestions on where to take the XK, any suggestions?

·
2,248 Posts
This is not a suggestion because I think it is closed now, but I did Lion's Back several years ago....and yes I do have a picture. Did it in my TJ. I am looking at the picture right now but I have to scan it in. Was from the old SLR days.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Why is it closed?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
PolarBZ said:
Why is it closed?
Too many people getting killed or injured.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Interesting read, I wonder if they ever started the construction there? I never had the opportunity to get out there but do not think I would have tried in anyway. It would be fun to watch others but I am not that brave with my Commander.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'd do it. My wife would videotape from the outside.

"Too many people killed or injured." - Thats just survival of the fittest. =)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
Will QT-I be able to make it? (without 4Low!) ,, especially the steep angle in the beginning!!

·
2,248 Posts
You could make it. The really scary part is turning around at the top. You have to do a multiple part turn. Up a little, back a little, up a little. it is very tight on the top. Going up is probably the easiest part. It has steep drop offs on the sides. This is the rock that people see when they see the clip of the SUV going off the side without brakes.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
So... is it open or closed???

·
2,248 Posts
My bet is that it is still closed. I do not think the new owner would have any reason to allow it to be open. Years ago there was a mailbox or a can or something that you put in a few dollars to go up Lion's Back on the honor system.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Ranger6882 said:
What the hell was that guy thinking in the 2nd vid.
I remember seeing this on one of those Shocking Videos shows. It was a woman driving with her husband in the vehicle with her. And I don't remember exactly but either the engine quit or the brakes went out.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Take a virtual trip up and back down Lion's Back with some crazy dude. 18 minutes long: Lion's Back Trip

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I talked with the gate attendant at the Sand Flats Rec area (just up from Lion's Back) back in May and she said the new owner of the land Lion's Back sits on will not open it again due to liability issues. Your best bet now for a similar obstacle is Baby Lion's Back up in the Sand Flats Rec Area. It's reasonably steep, but short, and is a good icebreaker for anyone who has not put their jeep through moderate incline/decline angles. The tires chirp a little going up but for someone who's not done it before, it's a good way to learn to trust your jeep and some of what it can do without having to commit to a full trail.

If you've never been to Moab in a jeep, Fins 'n Things is a good trail to break-in with. It's scenic, has a couple fun obstacles (Kenny's Climb is interesting- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjCGGn-XL0 - steady on the gas and trust, trust, trust...) and doesn't take all day. Traction is unbelievable on the slickrock.

·
2,248 Posts
I just found this thread again. Lion's Back is not the most difficult climb that I have ever been on. It is just the most visual and if you do not think about the sides and the height it is just a moderately steep climb with a tight turn around on the top. I guess that is kind of like saying climbing a ladder attached to the Empire State Building is just climbing a long ladder. It does take a little commitment at the bottom as it is easy to get your tires to chirp or even spin if you give to much gas at the start. But once you get started you are ok as long as you do not panic and you let the Jeep do the work slow and steady. You also need to pay attention to the black tire marks and stay centered during the climb.

Coming down is more of a rush than going up. You need to keep it slow enough that you do not have any brake or traction problems. Keep it is the lowest gear and do not let momentum carry you away to fast.

Actually some of the waterfall climbs and off camber trails in the Sierra Nevada's are much more dangerous.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Go to Canyonlands National Park. Just inside the entrance on the left side is a trail called the "Schaefer Trail"..It's about 100 miles long and you won't find more beautiful scenery anywhere in the world. Your top speed will be about 15mph(slower in most places) and you don't have to drive the entire trail. There will be no serious challenges for your Commander and no fear of breaking anything but the drive is quite exciting none the less. You'll be 8" from death. If you go over the side you can scream until you're horse before you hit the bottom.
Sorry about the size of the pic.
HT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts