Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L QD2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do the front diff fluid tomorrow, curious if the Mobil 1 75W140 synthetic with the additive still requires the additional LS additive on top of what’s already included in the oil? Just want to make sure I’m not putting in too much additive when I refill. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
Yes on the QDII you need to add the MOPAR friction modifier even if the new oil has a friction modifier - it won't hurt. I have done it a couple times now myself. The MOPAR stuff is special and probably much better in the locking differentials.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
do you have a LS differential? if you do then yes, if you do not then nope! you do not list your specs so we cannot tell!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,008 Posts
do you have a LS differential? if you do then yes, if you do not then nope! you do not list your specs so we cannot tell!
He has QD2 in his signature - that has linited slip.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Limited slip uses clutch packs for friction. I thought qdii is electronic locker. Does it work with clutch packs?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As was said if you have QDII you need a 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier in each axel. Count the bolts at your rear differential. If you have 10 the you do not have the QDII system. If you have 12 them you need the friction modifier

·
Registered
2006 Commander 3.7 V6, 4WD QT-II
52 Posts
As was said if you have QDII you need a 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier in each axel. Count the bolts at your rear differential. If you have 10 the you do not have the QDII system. If you have 12 them you need the friction modifier

🧨🧨 This is the most important noticeable DIFFerence (pun intended) between QD-II and QT-II! 🧨🧨

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Limited slip uses clutch packs for friction. I thought qdii is electronic locker. Does it work with clutch packs?
QD-II uses the 2 speed NV245 transfer case (same as QT-II) but also has Electronic Limited Slip Differentials, otherwise known as ELSD.

@Creek is spot on with a 4 oz bottle of Mopar friction modifier in each axle for XK's with QD-II.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So they use clutch packs and is the reason for the additive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts