Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched over to Mobil 1 5-30 around 6-8 months ago and today I noticed when I checked my oil I was nearly a quart low! I am at about the 4200 mile mark on this oil change with a WIX filter. I have no leaks at all, nor is is blowing smoke. Everything else seems fine....runs fine...etc. Anyone have any imput? I have roughly 40K on the truck now.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Synthetics, because of their thin molecular structure, will find its way past valve guides and rings.
However, if this oil change has 6 to 8 months under its belt, yet only 4200 miles, thats a lot of short trips.
I would not be surprised if your consumption is the result of gasoline that has accumulated in the crankcase, due to short trips, thinning the oil and causing consumption.
Also, I know it sounds like a dumb question, but, are you absolutely certain the oil was at the full mark when the oil was changed?
Many dipsticks are less than precise, often reading overfilled or underfilled even though the correct amount of oil was put in.

One of the ways to determine fuel dilution is at the next change, verify the stick reading.
Check the level weekly (you should do this anyways).
If you see no consumption for the first 2000 miles and then see consumption over the next 1000 miles, you can assume this is fuel dilution from short trips.

BTW, a consumption rate of 1 qt in 4k miles is of no real concern anyways, so I see no need for thinking too hard.
Just telling you my own experience regarding minimal consumption.

Rob

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to use 5w20.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synthetics, because of their thin molecular structure, will find its way past valve guides and rings.
However, if this oil change has 6 to 8 months under its belt, yet only 4200 miles, thats a lot of short trips.
I would not be surprised if your consumption is the result of gasoline that has accumulated in the crankcase, due to short trips, thinning the oil and causing consumption.
Also, I know it sounds like a dumb question, but, are you absolutely certain the oil was at the full mark when the oil was changed?
Many dipsticks are less than precise, often reading overfilled or underfilled even though the correct amount of oil was put in.

One of the ways to determine fuel dilution is at the next change, verify the stick reading.
If you see no consumption for the first 2000 miles and then see consumption over the next 1000 miles, you can assume this is fuel dilution from short trips.

BTW, a consumption rate of 1 qt in 4k miles is of no real concern anyways, so I see no need for thinking too hard.

Rob
I am fairly certain it was full because I checked it every week or so for the first few weeks after the last change. I just hadn't checked it again until recently. also, ALL my driving is very short trips, usually less than 5-10 miles per trip.
So if I watch it and keep it topped off between changes will there be any damage of any kind due to the thinning, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
You need to use 5w20.
The 5W20 was only required for the 2006 HEMI with MDS (all MYs with MDS require 5W20) not the 4.7, which is what he has. The requirements have changed since then.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Danny,
Because of your short hauls, I'd recommend 6 month maximum intervals, regardless of mileage.
The oil looses its film strength as fuel thins it and can lead to increased wear over time.

I wouldn't try to keep it at the full mark all the time.....you'd go nuts adding a few ounces at a time.
The grid on the dipstick represents the operating range, so, if it needs a full quart and it isn't change time yet go ahead and add it.

I'll bet though, if you go to a 6 month interval, it'll be just short of needing a quart at change time.....save the quart for the oil change.

Rob

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danny,
Because of your short hauls, I'd recommend 6 month maximum intervals, regardless of mileage.
The oil looses its film strength as fuel thins it and can lead to increased wear over time.

I wouldn't try to keep it at the full mark all the time.....you'd go nuts adding a few ounces at a time.
The grid on the dipstick represents the operating range, so, if it needs a full quart and it isn't change time yet go ahead and add it.

I'll bet though, if you go to a 6 month interval, it'll be just short of needing a quart at change time.....save the quart for the oil change.

Rob
Thanks. Will do.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I have a 2010 5.7l that I just had to put a quart in of oil. It has mobil conventional oil and 5127 miles on it. The last oil change was at 2861 miles by the dealer and was full. I drive 26 miles one way daily and check it every Sunday. It was dropping slowly then all of a sudden lost a half of a quart. I can't see any oil leaks. Could it be breaking in?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The 5W20 was only required for the 2006 HEMI with MDS (all MYs with MDS require 5W20) not the 4.7, which is what he has. The requirements have changed since then.
I have a 4.7 liter and it takes 5w20. Says so right in the owners manual and on the oil cap.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
I have a 4.7 liter and it takes 5w20. Says so right in the owners manual and on the oil cap.
And what is your point ? I said the requirements had changed sinnce the 2006 MY.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
And what is your point ? I said the requirements had changed sinnce the 2006 MY.
I think I misunderstood what you wrote.

What does MY mean?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Ok so now I have 13,641 miles last oil change was at 11,004 miles. Still using oil! I switched from conventional to synthetic, Mobil1 5w20 EP. Oil consumption is the same, even changed driving habits. What is going on with this engine? I drive at a minimum 23.2 miles one way aday and upto 68 miles one-way, so I dont think its due to short trips. Jeep says its fine until its a quart every thousand miles. Anyone else have this issue?

2010 4x4 HEMI

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sounds like this one uses a bit but it is well within industry consumption standards.

G.M. uses 1500 mi qt. as its benchmark......all others use 1000 mi per qt. before any disassembly/hunting trips are authorized by the manufacturer.

Sounds like my Blazer.....1 qt every 2500 from day one back in 96......now 1 qt every 2500 mi and it just turned 250k last week.
It has been on Mobil 1 from the first oil change.
I add 1 qt at 2500 and it is due for another at 5k which is when it gets changed.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mobil 1 Consumption

Rob

I only use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5/20 in my 2006 Hemi and have noticed it's often low on oil after a thousand miles or so. For example, four weeks ago I changed it and I'm still 1500 miles away from my next service and it was reading a quart and a half low! Wondering if I should bring it into the dealership to check the piston rings??
Thanks,

Carrie

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I only use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5/20 in my 2006 Hemi and have noticed it's often low on oil after a thousand miles or so. For example, four weeks ago I changed it and I'm still 1500 miles away from my next service and it was reading a quart and a half low! Wondering if I should bring it into the dealership to check the piston rings??
Thanks,

Carrie
Carrie,
I apologize in advance if this sounds like a dumb question but.....are you certain the oil level is correct immediatly after a oil change?
I ask because many shops are unaware the 5.7 in a Jeep takes 7 qts.
Heck, half of the independents I've queried didn't know the 4.7 took 6 qts.

Also, you haven't said how many miles it took to use this much oil......I don't know what your change interval is.
And, what is your current mileage?

Rob

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Are you sure the vehicle was on equally level ground for both dipstick readings?

My 3.7L V6 Commander has the dipstick placed at the very back of the pan, I noticed a much larger than expected difference in oil level when I was parked on only a slight grade.

NOT sure about the V8's, my other Chrysler vehicles with V6's had the dipstick more toward the center of the pan, and there was NOT a significant difference in oil level on a slight grade.

It may also have to do with the shape of the pan and having to clear driveshafts in the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts