Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sidetracked (too busy) and JUST did the gear box oil changes this weekend ... I got the rear axle done on Saturday and the front axle and transfercase Today.

My Commander is a Limited 2006 with QDII, and the original Owner's Manual has the printing error that says to use ATF in the Transfercase, (the online version is corrected)

Mine has never had the fluid changed, I checked the fluid when I drained it out this afternoon and ... the colour, odour, and viscosity was consistent with the proper trafercase lubricant ... it was defiantly NOT ATF fluid.

I have some pics I will post later of a Mod I did too.

Hmmm what kind of mod might you be refering to? It wouldnt have anything to do with extending the breather tubes would it? If so im subscribed!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I thought it would be easier doing gear oil changes with a rear dif drain plug, so when I pulled the cover this weekend I had look, and went to the auto parts, and got what I needed.

I selected "O Ring Boss" style fitting, that one is a simple double ended 'joiner' and a plug ... I cut about 3/8" off with my trusty hacksaw (that allows full thread engagement of the plug) and drew a circle where I wanted to drill the cover

Next use a 1" hole saw and drilled a hole in the cover, it is surprisingly thick at .089" ... thats over two and a quarter millimeters or about 13 gauge steel

Next a quick touch with the file to make it hexagon to match the fitting

Then a quick weld (both sides for strength and leak resistance) and of course some grinding to make sure there no loose weld splatter or slag.

Put in the plug, and a little paint, and bolt it back on, (don't forget Permatex Black RTV Sealant around the cover) winter is coming see the leaves in fall colors all in my driveway :)

It's a cheap mod .. maybe $12 in parts and should make changing the gear oil next time a little easier!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
not bad....It is a little concerning that it sticks so far out from the cover. Typically you would see a socket head bolt with a built up area around it to keep it strong. My though is that it could easily be sheared off with a rock something that happens to get too close. If you do not do much on the rocks then you should be free of any issues. Nice Mod.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
not bad....It is a little concerning that it sticks so far out from the cover. Typically you would see a socket head bolt with a built up area around it to keep it strong. My though is that it could easily be sheared off with a rock something that happens to get too close. If you do not do much on the rocks then you should be free of any issues. Nice Mod.
Yes i thought of that too ... maybe it's a little deceiving in the pic (I'll see if I can get one from another angle) because it's tucked in pretty close to the bolt circle there ...

I'd say it's safe driving forward, but yes a little more vulnerable than stock if BACKING up on bad rocks ... I'm probably not going to do much rock crawling anyway, but you never know :)

Here's a pic from the side ... it's tucked up there fairly good I think

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yeggster, pardon my ignorance, but how did you change your diff oil before this mod? I don't do my own service, so I just don't know... and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Sorry, but maybe I'm dense... is this an outer cover for extra protection and there is an inner cover with its own drain and fill? I understand how the old oil would spill out but how did you get new oil back in? Is there a fill plug on the actual diff casting separate from the back cover?

You can just remove the cover. Take out the 10 or 12 bolts and pull it off. I think some may stick a hose in the fill hole and suck it out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yeggster, pardon my ignorance, but how did you change your diff oil before this mod? I don't do my own service, so I just don't know... and vice versa.
Factory approved method is to remove the entire back cover ... scrape off all the RTV sealant, reapply the RTV and replace the cover ... technically you are also supposed to lightly torque the bolts and wait an hour for the RTV to dry then final torque the bolts, then refill.

What they do at the dealers is just suck out most the oil with a suction pump, fill it back up and charge you as though they pulled the cover.

This is actually the first time I changed the gear oil on the Commander

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No that's the only cover .. you take it off and all the oil spills out ... there's a rubber-pull-out fill plug to put the new oil in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Ahhh, now I get it. Thanks for the tutorial.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
if anyone wants some of those weld in types with the hexhead plug let me know. i have about 5 left that i'd like to get rid of.

just send me $5 and i'll mail them to your.

·
Registered
422 Posts
so you moved the drain plug?...did you make a fill at the top end or are you just going to figure that out later?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
so you moved the drain plug?...did you make a fill at the top end or are you just going to figure that out later?
He didn't move the drain plug -- there wasn't one so he made one.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
This is the original fill port:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Another great mod. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darn. I was hoping it was a mod to extend the breather tubes for the axles.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
the breather tubes go all the way up into the wheel well if i remember right.
On my (2006 QDII) the breather tube is only about 10" long and sits near the frame

1 - 20 of 29 Posts