Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a lot of searching and found that I had to piece together a lot of info from many different spots, so I figured I'd just ask the question straight-out and let you experts fill me in, because I'm new to all this and frankly don't know:

What limitations am I dealing with in mod'ing a V6? I've seen a few folks say in other threads that you can't lift a V6 and what-not, and I honestly don't know why. Is there any limitations I need to know about?

I have a V6, and I'm interesting in doing (what I feel to be) some minor mods. I'd like to lift it 2-2.5", and I'd like to throw some nice shoes on it. I won't be doing any other major changes. I'd like to do (what I think to be) some light off-roading, as in... going off on some local trails and looking at the scenery and stuff, but I'm not looking to be scaling chasms or climbing my front end up trees and stuff, if you know what I mean. I can do just fine currently with my stock wheels/tires, but I just thought I'd beef it up a tad. I'm not looking to be 4-feet above everyone's heads at a stop-light or anything.

Am I limited in what I can do to my Commander since it's a V6 with the QT1 drive system?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you didn't read that you can not lift a V6. The size of the engine has nothing to do with a lift.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
he was probably thinking that a v6 wouldn't be enough power for the bigger tires and gearing etc. that comes with a lift...

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, see, I'm glad I asked then, lol.

So me lifting this V6 a few inches and throwing slightly bigger wheels and tires on it shouldn't pose a problem then?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the V6 and here is what I have done:
2 in lift
1.5 in spacers
Looking for bigger tires 255/75/17 Maybe
Custom center console
Burlwood Gear Shift
Wood Dash Kit
Removed 3rd Row and added an storage box
Coming in the mail
- Chrome nerf bars
- Chrome AC rings

So you can Mod a V6
-

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Its not the lift that hurts you its the size and wieght of the shoes your moving. I had a 2" lift with BGFs 245/75/R17s and the V6 worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the V6 and here is what I have done:
2 in lift
1.5 in spacers
Looking for bigger tires 255/75/17 Maybe
Custom center console
Burlwood Gear Shift
Wood Dash Kit
Removed 3rd Row and added an storage box
Coming in the mail
- Chrome nerf bars
- Chrome AC rings

So you can Mod a V6
-
Excellent, great info. Thanks Commandoooo.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
the only limitations are

power, but hopefully we will have gearing soon.

and low range would be helpful.

but if you can live with it, its not a big deal

·
Registered
707 Posts
It looks like that Gibson came out with a cat back exhaust system for the 3.7 and the 4.7. However, they list the system under the Grand Cherokee.

Will this kit fit the Commander since it is based on the Cherokee's platform?

I just realized that they have a rear end picture of the Commander under the instructions.

http://gibson.iwebcat.com/imgVD/GIB/17404.pdf

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm slightly interested but it's a hefty 520.77 for the stainless which is the way I would go since I already have a 50 series flowmstr...planning it's rust out in a few years...
I like my V6 but if I had to do it all over again I would have waited 3 months and gotten the 4.7L when prices collapsed locally. Here's all my V6 mods...
-K&N 63-1545 "aircharger" intake
-Airaid Throttle body spacer
-Flowmaster 50 series muffler (stock pipes)
-Stage 2 Jetchip
-Daystar 2.5" Lift (really a 2" lift, bad marketing)
-Spidertrax 1.5" (5-5) wheel spacers
-Toyo 265/70/17
-NGK Iridium plugs
-Some "cosmetic" trimming, HID headlight and spot conversions, DVD+Sub

Planned additions
-Rocky Road supersliders
-Getlost4x4 4.56 gearing, heavy duty UCA's, and Bilstien HD struts
-Rusty's 4.5" lift

·
Registered
707 Posts
Why not get the aluminum exhaust, which is $360? What are the pros and cons of the aluminum and the stainless steel?

Runit3: Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust? I want an exhaust system, but can't figure out the best one for the money.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Stainless steel is a harder metal making it more resistant to off-road mishaps. However if you come down onto a boulder with any exhaust system it's going to get smashed. It will also be more resistant to corrosion. Is all that worth the extra $200? not to me, but some people yes. There's a couple videos of my jeep in this thread http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7743
None at full throttle or in cab but you can get an idea of what a 50 series sounds like on a V6.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks Runit3. Someone should start a thread that has sound clips of the aftermarket exhaust systems or a muffler for the 3.7L. I heard of someone else that has a Magnaflow exhaust on his V6 and it sounds great too.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts