Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the short time I've owned my XK, I have done quite a bit to it. Mods/upgrades are the ones I enjoy the most, while the tedious things of upkeep drive me crazy! :crazy:

All work other than the tires and alignment needed after the lift and LCA's has been done by me. I've been working on cars since I was a kid!

Mods:
Rough Country 2" Spacer Lift and 1.5" Wheel Spacers
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
K&N Cold Air Intake
Superchips TrailDash 2
MBRP 3" Cat Back Exhaust
Pinch Weld Mod

Maintenance:
Castrol Edge 5w-20 Synthetic with Purolator Boss Filter (Dealership I purchased from had wrong oil in it)
NGK Spark Plugs LZFR5C-11 (Original plugs were still in there!)
Trans Filters and Castrol Transmax ATF+4 fluid and Felpro Pan Gasket
Brakes (Ceramic Pads and Rotors)
Replaced factory LCA's with Moog LCA's (Bushings were bad and going bad)
Replaced Blower Motor (It was squeaking like a bird)

Upcoming Maintenance:
Power Steering lines
Rear Transfer Case seal
Broken manifold bolt removal and replacement

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the group, I'm a noob here too. Sounds like you've made some nice improvements already.
Thank you! I'm trying to make it perfect I guess :laugh2:. I've already got some more things I'm probably going to do such as UCA's, sway bar bushings and new shocks and struts, as well as springs. May even go ahead and do a suspension lift down the road if I'm gonna go that far.

Any recommendations on suspension?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any recommendations on suspension?
I purchased Bilstein 5100s and OME HD springs. Installation will be done next week, so I won't have any impressions until then, but that's a common setup that gets you 2" lift, corrects the natural rake of the car (bottom setting of the front struts) and makes it less floaty.
Since you already have the spacers you could go with the shocks/struts only.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased Bilstein 5100s and OME HD springs. Installation will be done next week, so I won't have any impressions until then, but that's a common setup that gets you 2" lift, corrects the natural rake of the car (bottom setting of the front struts) and makes it less floaty.
Since you already have the spacers you could go with the shocks/struts only.
Seems like the Bilsteins and OME setups are the way to go from what I've seen. I'm sure at some point I will ditch the spacers and just go all suspension. I originally thought I would do the spacers and forget about it, but maybe not!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome! And good work!

I went back and forth for a long time on what kind of lift I wanted...the thread “Noob Lift Q” will show you that lol.

I ended up going with the Bilstein 5100 and OME lift, even though I already had the RC spacer lift, just not installed. All the parts were about $700, plus $490 for JBA UCA and new spring isolators. My suspension is going anyway so I would’ve had to install new shocks, struts, and springs and since I was already doing that, might as well go with the suspension lift.

Nothing is installed yet as I need to get everything in order before I work on it, but people love the lift.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recommendations are easy, the real question here is - how much money are you willing to spend?

Because trust me, it adds up quick....
I'm always willing to spend money! :laugh2: My problem is I'm impatient, which usually ends up costing me more in the long run.

Welcome! And good work!

I went back and forth for a long time on what kind of lift I wanted...the thread “Noob Lift Q” will show you that lol.

I ended up going with the Bilstein 5100 and OME lift, even though I already had the RC spacer lift, just not installed. All the parts were about $700, plus $490 for JBA UCA and new spring isolators. My suspension is going anyway so I would’ve had to install new shocks, struts, and springs and since I was already doing that, might as well go with the suspension lift.

Nothing is installed yet as I need to get everything in order before I work on it, but people love the lift.
Thank you! I think my suspension is on its way out as well, so like you said, may as well go with the suspension lift and get rid of the spacers. In my mind, the cost difference is negated by the fact I would have more of an off road specific setup vs a modified stock setup. Not that there is a problem with the spacers, I think that is a very cost effective way to lift that doesn't come with much compromise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
New Wheels!

Had my new wheels installed today! The first shop treated me like an idiot(I used to run a shop), so I left. The second shop treated me right, even at one point letting me help them remove a stubborn TPMS sensor. We all lost and ended up having to put a new one in. :laugh2:

Wheel Specs:

ATX AX203 by American Racing
Size: 17"x8"
Backspace: 4.5"
Offset: 0"
Bore: 78.3mm
(I ended up getting those bore adapters just in case)

Overall I'm happy with them, but it is really weird to not see the stock ones on there!

Other Stuff:

Exhaust manifold bolts have been repaired. 2 broken on passenger rear, one on driver rear. My buddies shop had a nice time with it, even having to pull the head after their tap broke off on the last bolt.

After that repair, I have developed the Hemi Chirp...I have birds once it gets warmed up

Purchased Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts, JBA uppers, Moog sway bar bushings, links and outer tie rod ends. Hoping to get this all installed this weekend...been saying this for a month now ha!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Had my new wheels installed today! The first shop treated me like an idiot(I used to run a shop), so I left. The second shop treated me right, even at one point letting me help them remove a stubborn TPMS sensor. We all lost and ended up having to put a new one in. :laugh2:

Wheel Specs:

ATX AX203 by American Racing
Size: 17"x8"
Backspace: 4.5"
Offset: 0"
Bore: 78.3mm(I ended up getting those bore adapters just in case)

Overall I'm happy with them, but it is really weird to not see the stock ones on there!

Other Stuff:

Exhaust manifold bolts have been repaired. 2 broken on passenger rear, one on driver rear. My buddies shop had a nice time with it, even having to pull the head after their tap broke off on the last bolt.

After that repair, I have developed the Hemi Chirp...I have birds once it gets warmed up

Purchased Bilstein 4600 shocks and struts, JBA uppers, Moog sway bar bushings, links and outer tie rod ends. Hoping to get this all installed this weekend...been saying this for a month now ha!

That looks real good @Colt, nice work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks @Big Blue. I have my eye on a bumper similar to yours that I think would take mine to the next level! Even thinking about getting a rear one with a tire carrier as well. Just got a promotion at work, so it may be sooner than later! Also thought about doing a roof rack with the spare tire up there, but would sacrifice parking in the garage....decisions, decisions. :laugh2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear End

Well, I got the rear done today....she fought me hard though!!!

To put it simply, a job that would've normally taken me an hour to an hour and a half at most, took me about 5 due to some unfortunate events.

The lower rear shock bolts were the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with on any vehicle I've ever owned....I had a rusty '88 GMC that gave me less trouble!

The lower passenger bolt snapped on me, even after it started backing out. Then the driver lower bolt absolutely refused to budge no matter how hard I tried. Finally after some heat, I managed to get the driver side bolt out. On the passenger bolt, I was lucky and had enough to bite onto with a pipe wrench and with that and some heat, it gave up and came out too.

The sway bar links fought me a little bit, but that was just a matter of space and a little heat to get them to break loose at the sway bar.

Tomorrow I start on the front, which I think will have its own challenges.

I'm ready for this thing to be done!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks @Big Blue. I have my eye on a bumper similar to yours that I think would take mine to the next level! Even thinking about getting a rear one with a tire carrier as well. Just got a promotion at work, so it may be sooner than later! Also thought about doing a roof rack with the spare tire up there, but would sacrifice parking in the garage....decisions, decisions. :laugh2:
I'm probably going to wind up going this route vice a rear bumper; This is probably a little lighter than a custom rear bumper and you can always remove it which is a nice option to have;

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front End

Got the front end done this evening.

She is definitely sitting a little higher. Alignment is close, so I'm wondering if I need to loosen the lowers in the air and let it down under its own weight?

I also noticed I have a click in my steering that I can feel when I move the wheel just a touch, like there is a bind in one of the U-joints. I'm not positive, but I'm wondering if my buddy removed the steering links out of the way when he did the manifold bolts. This was something I had forgotten about until I messed with the wheel after I got her back on the ground.

I threw in the towel for tonight, so final bolt check and test drive tomorrow! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Got the front end done this evening.

She is definitely sitting a little higher. Alignment is close, so I'm wondering if I need to loosen the lowers in the air and let it down under its own weight?

I also noticed I have a click in my steering that I can feel when I move the wheel just a touch, like there is a bind in one of the U-joints. I'm not positive, but I'm wondering if my buddy removed the steering links out of the way when he did the manifold bolts. This was something I had forgotten about until I messed with the wheel after I got her back on the ground.

I threw in the towel for tonight, so final bolt check and test drive tomorrow! :smile2:
Your front end probably just needs to settle. People typically see an inch or two of settling.

The click in your steering might be a loose steering rack. It's not an uncommon problem on these, unfortunately. There is an inverted torx bolt you can tighten on the steering rack if it is loose, but access is limited. I haven't been able to tighten mine at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your front end probably just needs to settle. People typically see an inch or two of settling.

The click in your steering might be a loose steering rack. It's not an uncommon problem on these, unfortunately. There is an inverted torx bolt you can tighten on the steering rack if it is loose, but access is limited. I haven't been able to tighten mine at all.
I wondered if it would settle a bit. I’ll look into seeing if I can find the bolt you mentioned. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts