Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ordered a chrome fuel door cover from (online retailer, specializing in MOPAR parts) and after 3 tries, they finally sent me the correct cover. They kept sending me one for a durango (Which I would not have known that until I tried to install it, the mounting bracket holes didn't line up). Now that I have the correct part I am still a little disappointed in it.

I was wondering, for those of you that have the MOPAR chrome fuel door, does it seem like it covers the access hole correctly? In other words, the original fuel door had a an even gap of about 3 to 5mm around it. The chrome fuel door seems to have a much wider gap. Wide enough that I can actually see the black plastic inside the fueling area which I could not see on the original one.

And yes, I have properly trimmed the rubber door stops. It sits flush with the vehicle just fine. It just seems like the cover is not the right circumference to match the Commander's fuel port like the original one did.

Am I just being too picky?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine was the same way, I had to bend it a little to get it even but it has more of a gap than the original one. Here is a pic.
magnaflow exhaust 020 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's the way it fits. Mine also fits that way.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine fits that way too, the gap is consistent all around. I think it looks good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I looked at mine and it looks like it fits evenly all around. I don't recall seeing anything inside as I did trim the rubber bumpers. As long as its even all around, Im sure your ok.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply posts from everybody. It looks like that is just the way it is. I just wanted to make sure since I had such a hard time getting the correct part. I thought maybe I had the wrong one still. Mine looks about the same as what is shown in the pic from SHORTMAG.

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dabitz said:
I shaved the 2 rubber pieces a bit and now it fits perfectly.
x2 ....i agree, a little mod and looks like the original!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you order one it comes with a instruction sheet but you really don't need it. 2 bolts hold it in place. You can see the 2 bolts you need to remove as they are on the left side of hole right next to where the hinge attaches to the vehicle. After that you will probably need to trim the 2 rubber stops (located on the right of the fuel hole) a millimeter or two. But only do that if your door does not flush even with the vehicle. Again it is all covered in the instructions usually included with the kit. I really doesn't take longer than 5 to 10 min.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Make sure you have the right tool to take off the bolt. It's in the instructions. Don't use an allen wrench. I did and I got one off then the other head started to strip. When to Advanced auto parts, got the right tool and it came off no problem. It is really on about a 10 installation. Very easy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts