Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have purchased this, is there anything to look out for? Pros vs cons? Any input would be helpful. Did you purchase the Mopar lights, or go with something else? How do the lamps mount to the guard? Where did you put the switch? How hard is to run the wire through the firewall? Thanks for listening. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went ahead and ordered one today. I'll soon know if it was a mistake! :stickpoke:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love mine. I think it looks great but thats about as good as it gets as it doesnt provide a whole lot of real protection since it mounts mostly to the plastic. Install is super easy. I bought a pair of PIAA lights to mount on top of it. There are holes on the underside of the bar for the mopar lights and I drilled through the top to mount my lights. There is a rubber gromet that you can go through in the firewall to run wires but make sure you dont cut any of the existing wires as you poke through. I put my switch in the wallet compartment near the steering wheel. I hope you like yours.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love mine. I think it looks great but thats about as good as it gets as it doesnt provide a whole lot of real protection since it mounts mostly to the plastic. Install is super easy. I bought a pair of PIAA lights to mount on top of it. There are holes on the underside of the bar for the mopar lights and I drilled through the top to mount my lights. There is a rubber gromet that you can go through in the firewall to run wires but make sure you dont cut any of the existing wires as you poke through. I put my switch in the wallet compartment near the steering wheel. I hope you like yours.
I downloaded the installation guide - seems pretty straightforward. I saw pictures of yours on the Indiana Badlands thread, and I liked the contrast. I already have the Mopar tail light guards, so this should compliment my Jeep. What engine do you have? The reason I ask is that there is one pretty accessible grommet, but I believe on some engines it is used, others it is not. Where did you purchase you lights? I want to stick with round ones, if I decide to add lights. Thanks. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the 4.7. The gromet I used is right in the upper corner on the drivers side. Its not super easy to get to but I already had some wires running through there for an amp. I bought my lights on ebay, I think the seller was MVP auto parts.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 4.7. The gromet I used is right in the upper corner on the drivers side. Its not super easy to get to but I already had some wires running through there for an amp. I bought my lights on ebay, I think the seller was MVP auto parts.
Came today, and took about an hour to install. My Jeep is silver so it looks like a reverse Startech Jeep. I'm happy with the look! A manly Jeep! :banana_hitit: I'm still undecided about lights.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
x2...........
I'll post over the weekend. My life is full of sxxt right now! :grim: Maybe I need to write another saga, non-Jeep related! :sick:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, here you go! Enjoy. SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers are on the way! :eek:rangehat:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I posted pictures on Saturday, as requested by cico7 and IamJeep. I'll post pictures when I get the SpiderTrax mounted. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. Right now, they are in Columbus. Cico, can you go to UPS and pick them up and deliver them for me? :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looks good Dhh! Are you going to add lights to the bar? My first idea was to buy the Mopar grill gaurd, but I didn't like the price. The Matrix has a lot more creature comforts for around the same price, that's why I'm going with it. I still like the simplicity of the Mopar gaurd, tho.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good Dhh! Are you going to add lights to the bar? My first idea was to buy the Mopar grill gaurd, but I didn't like the price. The Matrix has a lot more creature comforts for around the same price, that's why I'm going with it. I still like the simplicity of the Mopar gaurd, tho.
Thank you. I've seen where some of the members have added lights to the top of the hoop. This means drilling holes in the top. The hoop is welded to the base. I'm concerned about water getting inside the hoop, and therefore rust. I suppose I could take it off and drill holes through the base to the inside of the hoop. There are two holes on the underside of the top of the hoop to mount small rectangular lamps. I put the rubber grommets in those holes. I prefer round lamps - I'm just not sure where to mount them. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thank you. I've seen where some of the members have added lights to the top of the hoop. This means drilling holes in the top. The hoop is welded to the base. I'm concerned about water getting inside the hoop, and therefore rust. I suppose I could take it off and drill holes through the base to the inside of the hoop. There are two holes on the underside of the top of the hoop to mount small rectangular lamps. I put the rubber grommets in those holes. I prefer round lamps - I'm just not sure where to mount them. :eek:rangehat:
They would look badass on top of the hoop. I like the idea of drilling the base for drainage, plus a good rubber washer/seal on the lights and you should be ok. Just my $0.02....

Maybe mount them just to the outside of the hoop?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts