Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there is a kicker speaker "upgrade" is avaliable at many mopar shops for $140.00. This replaces the existing Boston Acoustics speakers. Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
oic My bad....... however, if you are interested, I suggest you get a quote from mopar4less. These people have given me the best prices on the net and I usually compare quite a few before I buy.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Here is what Jeff at MPSC posted back in November, he's a supporting vendor here, although i'm not sure how to tell who are supporting vendors...

Mopar-Kicker Speaker Upgrade Package. Upgrade your factory door speakers to deliver your music the way it meant to be! Fits Grand Cherokee,Commander and Liberty. Fits front and or rear door/wall depending on vehicle.
Order p/n 77KICK10 Mopar List Price $99.00 MPSC Price $84.70.

Mopar has finally released The Kicker "Livin Loud" speaker upgrade for the Commander equipt with the Boston Acoustics speakers. The kit contains 2- 6x9 speakers and 2-31/2 coaxial speakers. Front speakers only.

Order p/n 77KICK11 Mopar List Price $149.00 MPSC Price $128.20.

Jeff

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am a little confused. If we already paid for the Boston Acoustics upgrade in the limited what are these? Are they replacement front door speakers or additional speakers? Can anyone clarify this or can anyone say how much of an improvement this would be? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am trying to figure out why someone would replace Bostons with Kickers?
Im in the Audio business and Bostons are known to be better speakers then Kicker when it comes to sound quality.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Because the boston speakers suck. They're paper and sound clear as mud. Aftermarket Bostons may be better than aftermarket poly kickers, but oem paper BA not better than poly kickers.

I do not understand why the kicker kit doesn't replace the rear door speakers. I may just order Infinity speakers from crutchfield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My company sells the upgraded BA system to DCX, and I was in charge of the manufacturing launch of the speakers and amp (I'm NOT an audiophile though). I can't say anything about the quality of our speakers vs the Kickers other than my PD engineers told me that the BA's are better, and the BA sound system has gotten FANTASTIC reviews for other vehicles (I've not seen a review for the XK though).

DCX approached Kicker to have a better known name in the aftermarket business than BA.

Kevin

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the Boston Acoustic upgrade in my XK. I am very pleased with the sound. I wish you could get the bass speaker under the seat like the Liberty has as an option.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It does sound great for a stock sound system. But that doesn't really say much.

The speakers are paper, and no paper speaker sounds as good as I want the stereo to sound, or as good as it can sound. I'm confident any poly speakers will sound better than these paper speakers. I can't understand why auto companies want to charge $1500 for a stereo that delivers a muddy sound. I replaced the stock speakers in my Magnum with off the shelf low end Fosgate speakers and the improvement was incredible.

That said my wife thinks it sounds good, and she is probably more the target audience. I however want a more clear listening experience.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Anyone done the 77KICK11 front upgrade? Does the 77KICK06 work to upgrade the rear speakers in the Commander?

If so, how does it sound compared to the Boston Acoustics factory system? Any issues with vibrations?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just replaced the front door and dash speakers and the rear door speakers with the kicker upgrade package. I also purchased the kicker upgrade amplifier. I installed the amp. The sound quality is much better with the amp but there is no bass due to the fact the amp is set up as an 8 channel as opposed to 6 channel like the factory. So I returned the amp and I am just running the factory amp with all the speakers replaced with kickers. I did have the premium BA system. Honestly I don't notice any difference in the sound quality. I just don't know why mopar offered the amp for a commander if its not equipped with a subwoofer. I work as a mechanic in the Jeep dealer so I get all my parts at cost. It wasnt too much to replace the speakers. Just dont know if it was worth it. They do have a better look and quality. the
rear door speakers and front dash speakers are coaxial and the front door speakers are a standard 6x9. I might go with an alpine amp and one of the sub enclosures from Elemental Designs. That box looks nice. If I get a chance to takes some pics. I have a 10.2 in widescreen mirror that I have hooked up to a nightvision camera and custom dvd player and tv tuner I installed. Looks tight. I purchased the rear dvd player mount that goes behind the center console and installed a dvd head unit for my dvd player.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks, I was curious if it really was a worthwhile upgrade or not. Doesn't sound like it is worth dismantling my door panels for. :)

neongts said:
I just replaced the front door and dash speakers and the rear door speakers with the kicker upgrade package. I also purchased the kicker upgrade amplifier. I installed the amp. The sound quality is much better with the amp but there is no bass due to the fact the amp is set up as an 8 channel as opposed to 6 channel like the factory. So I returned the amp and I am just running the factory amp with all the speakers replaced with kickers. I did have the premium BA system. Honestly I don't notice any difference in the sound quality. I just don't know why mopar offered the amp for a commander if its not equipped with a subwoofer. I work as a mechanic in the Jeep dealer so I get all my parts at cost. It wasnt too much to replace the speakers. Just dont know if it was worth it. They do have a better look and quality. the
rear door speakers and front dash speakers are coaxial and the front door speakers are a standard 6x9. I might go with an alpine amp and one of the sub enclosures from Elemental Designs. That box looks nice. If I get a chance to takes some pics. I have a 10.2 in widescreen mirror that I have hooked up to a nightvision camera and custom dvd player and tv tuner I installed. Looks tight. I purchased the rear dvd player mount that goes behind the center console and installed a dvd head unit for my dvd player.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an update for you. The amplifier that is listed for the XK is a misprint.
the part 77KICK18 is not for use in the Commander. They are going to send a memo to all the dealers to let people know that amplifier is not going to work
properly in the XK due to the lack of having a factory subwoofer. I called the tech line personally myself. As far as the sound, I listened to it more today and I do notice a crisper highs compared to stock due to the speakers in the dash being coaxial. I paid 220.00 for all of the speakers at my cost. To me thats a great deal for upgraded speakers. It took me a little under an hour to install all 4 door speakers and the dash. Only because I am used to removing the panels replacing regulators in them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Found these on-line
Speaker Upgrade Kit
(Part #77KICK11)
Premium Speaker Upgrade offers vibrant stereo image, bigger bass and clean highs. Features include throw poly cone two-way speakers with 1" titanium dome tweeters, 75 watts RMS, 150 watts peak power handling, frequency response 35 Hz to 21 kHz, crossover for tweeter 4500 Hz @ 12 dB per octave with DC protection, and sensitivity 88 dB (1W/1M)
Regular Price: $ 159.00
On Sale For: $148.84

Speaker Upgrade Kit details

Amplifier Upgrade Kit
(Part #77KICK18)

Regular Price: $ 199.00
On Sale For: $181.78

Amplifier Upgrade Kit details

Amplifier Upgrade Kit features 8 ch/368W.
available at http://www.chryslerjeepdodgeparts.com/MC-CCAB-FDF.aspx

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone done the 77KICK11 front upgrade? Does the 77KICK06 work to upgrade the rear speakers in the Commander?

If so, how does it sound compared to the Boston Acoustics factory system? Any issues with vibrations?

77KICK11 is definitely the replacement for the dash and front door speakers. however, i believe that part number 77KICK10 is the replacement for the rear door speakers, not 77KICK06. i'm thinking about doing this upgrade....anybody else have any comments on it?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts