Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed these themselves using the existing factory wiring? My 2007 Commander does have the pre-existing wiring, correct? Was it easy? Anyone have detailed instructions? Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
954 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
also didnt someone on here just make their own switch with using the stock wiring ? i cant find the link but i thought someone did something like that

·
Registered
241 Posts
how much does the dealer charge to activate it ?
Most dealers have quoted me anywhere from $95 to $104.50. There is a dealer here in Houston that was doing the programming for $45, but I haven't been there in a while so I will soon see if they still honor that. I have to have my fogs activated also.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most dealers have quoted me anywhere from $95 to $104.50. There is a dealer here in Houston that was doing the programming for $45, but I haven't been there in a while so I will soon see if they still honor that. I have to have my fogs activated also.

I went to Allen Samuels Chrsyler today, but to my chagrin they no longer honor the $45 deal. In fact, he quoted me the highest I have heard to date - $105. I want someone to do something that takes less than 5 minutes if you are competent and less that 15 if you are an idiot. Why do the dealers feel they need to anally rape me on the price!?!

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
I went to Allen Samuels Chrsyler today, but to my chagrin they no longer honor the $45 deal. In fact, he quoted me the highest I have heard to date - $105. I want someone to do something that takes less than 5 minutes if you are competent and less that 15 if you are an idiot. Why do the dealers feel they need to anally rape me on the price!?!
Why don't you just install a switch and wire the fogs to it and you won't have to mess with getting it programmed ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I added OEM lights to my XK, I didn't want to go the stealer route to enable them. If you just want to the lights to come on with the parking lights it is easy to do and the only wiring is about a 6 inch jumper and a bosh mini relay. Connect the 85 terminal of the parking light relay to the 85 terminal of the fog light relay and you are done. I wanted a dash mounted switch, so I connected a switch between those 2 relays instead of the jumper, works like a charm.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why don't you just install a switch and wire the fogs to it and you won't have to mess with getting it programmed ?
I added OEM lights to my XK, I didn't want to go the stealer route to enable them. If you just want to the lights to come on with the parking lights it is easy to do and the only wiring is about a 6 inch jumper and a bosh mini relay. Connect the 85 terminal of the parking light relay to the 85 terminal of the fog light relay and you are done. I wanted a dash mounted switch, so I connected a switch between those 2 relays instead of the jumper, works like a charm.
This sounds like a good way to handle it. Is there a diagram showing where the jumper goes?

Also, out of curiosity, is the starscn activating the relay by telling the computer to power it for the fogs? Or it is telling the computer to respond to the switch on the stalk?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am very sorry for my ignorance, but I wanted to find out where the jumper should go. I know how to find the 85 terminal on a normal sized relay, but the fog light relay is a mini relay, so the terminals are numbered differently. Can you tell me which terminal would be the equivalent of 85 on the mini relay?

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, I researched and found that terminal 2 on the relays is equivalent to terminal 85. I tried jumping terminal 85 of the parking light relay with terminal 85 of the fog light relay, but it did not work for me. Am I using the wrong terminal? What is the best way to put in the jumper so that it is at least semi-permanent? Pics?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can you send me a pic of how you wired in the switch?

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, tonight I tried again with the jumper, relay, and fuse. The reason it did not work for me previously was that the relays have diodes between the 85 and 86 terminals, so you have to put the jumper wire between the 86 terminals, not the 85 terminals. Once the 86 terminals are jumped, the fog lights operate with the park lights switch.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the 06 XH Commander (Australian Export 3lt Diesel) and I'm trying to install fog lights and have come across an issue so can anyone help out.
My car came standard with rear fog lights that operate via the normal method on the stork. Do the USA built petrol Commanders ALL come standard with the rear red fog lamps?
The reason I ask is my car also came with the front fog light wiring, the relay and fuse all for a set of front fog lights but no lights just black plastic grills instead of lights.
I have just bought a set lights and inserts and them had the star Scan reset done for the lights by my local Stealership ($75) but they could get them to work via the switch only by the scan tool doing an internal switch via the Central Control Modual.

Now the main question is do I need to replace my light stork (switch) and buy the new stork or do you think my existing one should work because it already has a rear fog switch?

PS. I can get the fogs to work if I jump the relay from the rear fogs so i know they work, it's just a problem somewhere between the relay and the stork switch.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
Do the USA built petrol Commanders ALL come standard with the rear red fog lamps?
None of the US Commanders come equipped with the rear fog lights. It is not an option either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
None of the US Commanders come equipped with the rear fog lights. It is not an option either.
So does this mean they don't come standard with the extra function on the indicator stork for switching the fogs lights on and off. By this I mean the knob only turns counter clockwise to turn lights on but it doesn't have the pull out function to switch on front fogs.

Sorry for the quizz it's just that I'm trying to work out why my export commander's fog lights don't work at the switching end.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So does this mean they don't come standard with the extra function on the indicator stork for switching the fogs lights on and off. By this I mean the knob only turns counter clockwise to turn lights on but it doesn't have the pull out function to switch on front fogs.

Sorry for the quizz it's just that I'm trying to work out why my export commander's fog lights don't work at the switching end.
US spec Commanders that have OEM front fog lights (as stated, rear fogs not available on XK), the end of the signal stalk pulls out to turn on the fog lights. Is this what you have?

BTW, how do you turn on the rear fogs in the XH? You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you...? :browsmiley:

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts

U.S. Commanders that do not come from the factory with fog lights do not have the fog light switch on the light stalk.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Export Commanders (XH) all seem to have a rear fog light function as standard. The way these are turned on is to pull out the knob and then twist anti clock wise. This twisting motion turns them on.
If you have the Limited XH (export) Commander these are also fitted with front fog lights and these turn on the same as the USA Commanders by just pulling out the knob.

This means I won't buy the USA fog light stork kit because it won't turn on my rear fogs because it won't have the function.

I'll now just set up a rocker switch on the dash to turn my front Fogs on.
Once again thanks for all your help.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts