Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Mopar Remote Starter added at purchase. The unit works well enough but the antenna mounting with the windshield sensor is a bit awkward.

I really dislike the mandatory series of horn honks (two on receipt of double press to activate, one on successful start). I sometimes leave early or arrive late and hate to disturb others (I even disable the honk on lock feature, sometimes).

The dealer claims there is no way to change the horn honking behavior. Anyone know differently?

Would you like to share your experience with the starter in this thread?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your dealer likely wont disable it because it is a safety feature, they have to worry about liablility when they disable safety features. However, IIRC you will see two wires running to two different relays in your fuse box. If you were to remove your horn relay, remove the wire from the pin and tape it up, and then reinstall your horn relay your horn would not honk with the remote start. You shouldnt, but thats what would happen, just dont cut the wire in case you need to re-connect it. The horn chirps are also used to diagnose the system when something goes wrong.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It would be nice if it was hooked to the parking lights or even mount an led something or another in the windshield area so you could see it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My after market remote start (one of the DEI's) only flashes the parking lights. Don't have a clue how the installer wired it though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info on the horn. That seems logical and I probably should have looked to see if it was that simple (just a line to the fuse box).

The parking lights do flash and if the auto lights are on the lights will come on if the area is dark, I believe - I haven't played with it enough to be 100% certain that the headlamps don't come on in the daylight or if the auto lights are off.

As an aside, if the auto wipers are active, it is a bit odd to see/hear the lights flashing, the horn honking, the wipers wiping (as it sets base line with a single wipe), and the engine rev. It does get some looks... :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
skdavis said:
Thank you for the info on the horn. That seems logical and I probably should have looked to see if it was that simple (just a line to the fuse box).

The parking lights do flash and if the auto lights are on the lights will come on if the area is dark, I believe - I haven't played with it enough to be 100% certain that the headlamps don't come on in the daylight or if the auto lights are off.
The second wire you will see in that fuse box runs to the parking lamp relay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the wires in the relay fuse box. It was quite obvious and easily accessed. Thank you. :) (One for the horn relay and one for the parking lights.)

(The headlamps mentioned above are related to the auto-lamps, only.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts