Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to see a rock rail that replaces the factory lower trim vs. going on below it. If not, maybe a lower profile rail that gives protection underneath that has an upsweeping side protection bar that can double as a step. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up to the XK before too long.

XKPearl:)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something like the WJ Overland had would be perfect but the aftermarket still hasn't made one for the WK so don't hold your breath.

Usually the aftermarket ones don't have the best fit and finish to be putting on your $40,000 vehicle. I bought a set of Daystar rock rails for my Cherokee and wasn't happy with the quality... came to me prescratched and the welds weren't ground down, they were just powdercoated over. I didn't put them on because they didn't look so hot... would be fine on a dedicated trail rig that is going to be beat and scratched anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
IIRC, There were pictures of the AEV Expedition XK w/ custom rock rails. I believe they were designed to replace the factory plastic trim and had additional underside protection. I recall reading that they are working on various parts now to include a proper offset wheel for production. They may be the source for such quality parts in the future. No matter how careful you are it is too easy to lose your line and bottom out your rocker panel. I can see some big dollar repairs w/ out a rock rail.

XKPearl

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent about $450 to fix the rocker on my Cherokee after sliding it into a rock while navigating a waterfall.

AEV is so backlogged with work they are slow to make any parts available anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No, the screws were fine, they had to put in little things to hold the screws and those gave way. it is a horrid design. No where near as rugged as the WJ ones.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Screws? They hold in the rock rails with screws? EEK... no thank you. Rock rails should be attached to the "frame rail" (a bit of a misnomer on a unibody vehicle) with grade 8 bolts.

Russ, so no plans for 4xGuard to come out with a nice rock rail like I mentioned in my last post? I checked out the web site and the 4xGuard stuff looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Colo.kid said:
These rock rails do that job nicely, and their <3-in projection from the body means better protection to the side panels. With the soon available accessory Slider Panel (a full length, 6 inch wide panel of 3/16-inch steel) and Safer Lift (a tough device that attaches to the Side Guard and provides a secure lifting platform for using a HiLift to lift the vehicle) they will do what most sliders will not. And we opted for maintaining the limited ground clearance of the WK/XK platform as much as possible.

BTW the upcoming Commander units will fasten--with grade 8's-- at the same 18 points as the Mopar does, as well as at 6 other locations (with self-tapping screws) along the "frame" and can be welded on if desired.
This sounds like what I'm looking for. Just to make sure I'm reading you correctly:

For the XK, 4XGuard will make a rocker side guard (along the lines of the pre-production pic), an additional 6" wide slider panel as well as the safer lift?? When will these items be available for purchase??

Also, have you guys looked at the XK factory front skid? It does not come up completely in the front to cover/protect the power steering line/hose. I was told by a Jeep tech that this was to allow easy service of this component. He suggested that a plate could be made that bolts to the skid extending coverage over this line/hose. This may be an item to consider for production.

Thanks,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Keep us posted here on this forum. I'll send you an email to the address @ your web site. Everything you have mentioned sounds just like what I've been looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tried to send you (4XGuard) an email using the address on your web site:

5.1.1 - Bad destination email address 'invalid domain "": no dot found'

I'll wait to hear from you on this forum when the items are in production, then I'll give you a call.

XKPearl

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. No, the Mopar ones do not get mounted with screws (as I said). I meant bolts. The bolts are plenty strong. It is the grommet that they bolt into that gave way. All of the. And there were only 3 per side, which I felt was lacking. It is toolate for me as I already got the damage that the rails were supposed to avoid, but I do have a lesson learned bit of advise for those that have not yet trashed their trucks. Have the rails mounted and then go in and spot weld them in place. I was never planning on removing them so it is not an issue and then it would be a protection.
Hope this helps. Attaching them to a unibody has nothing to do with it. My WJ was a unibody and I used the mopar rail on it. They were absolutely rugged and got through anything that my friends did with their aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jangy said:
Sorry for the confusion. No, the Mopar ones do not get mounted with screws (as I said). I meant bolts. The bolts are plenty strong. It is the grommet that they bolt into that gave way. All of the. And there were only 3 per side, which I felt was lacking. It is toolate for me as I already got the damage that the rails were supposed to avoid, but I do have a lesson learned bit of advise for those that have not yet trashed their trucks. Have the rails mounted and then go in and spot weld them in place. I was never planning on removing them so it is not an issue and then it would be a protection.
Hope this helps. Attaching them to a unibody has nothing to do with it. My WJ was a unibody and I used the mopar rail on it. They were absolutely rugged and got through anything that my friends did with their aftermarket ones.
I am holding off for the AEV ones coming out at the end of this year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 4xguard rails look really nice in pictures.

I agree, it would be nice to have something that gets rid of the hideous factory plastic piece at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Colo.kid said:
The rock rail (Side Guard) should be avaiable in a week or so. The accessory slider panel and Safer Lift will be available in about two weeks.

On the other hand it is our opinion that the rear of the XK is the most vulnerable offroad and therefore is our primary shortterm priority. The good news is that common XK/WK platforms mean our mounting system requires no changes for application to the XK--we only need to adjust for a longer skid plate. This accessory should be available in 2-4 weeks.
Any updates on these products?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I got 'em.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts