Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to bring everyone up to speed in the last 2200 miles my motor was replaced, twice. Read about it here.

Then after about another 1100 miles the water pump failed.

On Oct 1st the check engine light came on. That was for the catalyst system, code p0420. Read about that here. I hoped that the O2 sensor just had a quirk.

Then yesterday as I was considering posting that my check engine light had not returned. It returned....with a vengeance.

I now have the same code as before, catalyst system, as well as a new one p0300, Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.

So we're off to see the dealer first thing tomorrow. The service manager said it could be related to the motor swap but he will have to figure out what is component is setting the code.

I know it is probably overboard but I'm ready to trade. I really like my XK but this stuff is getting old fast.

On the bright side I found a great website for OBD-II codes. It is http://www.obd-codes.com/

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Looks like you got all the broken parts that we didn't. Thanks for taking on for the team!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think you were just unlucky with your commander. There are many guys out there that have not had one problem yet. I hear where you are coming from though. Id be quite upset after the first engine replacement.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the dealer checked it out and told me that as far as the misfire goes "it is not active" and there was no catalyst code stored. So they flashed the PCM with an update. I thought that was kinda weird as they did that recently because of the recall for stalling issues. But whatever...they are the experts :)

It seems to have worked for now but we will see.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So the dealer checked it out and told me that as far as the misfire goes "it is not active" and there was no catalyst code stored. So they flashed the PCM with an update. I thought that was kinda weird as they did that recently because of the recall for stalling issues. But whatever...they are the experts :)

It seems to have worked for now but we will see.
Wishing you the best of luck

·
Registered
527 Posts
Man....... sorry you have having such a hard time. I havent had one problem with my Commander. I did the recalls, but never had a stall. It was 1 quart low of trans fluid when I bought it and topped it off right away which may have eliminated some of the early problems, but other than that, it has been fine. Hope you can get this sorted out, maybe the dealer can just do an even swap for you? I'd definately be looking at a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So over the weekend the check engine light came back on, code p0420 again. Got it in today and they told me that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. They will call when it comes in.

They made sure to tell me that it would take a couple of hours as it wood need to cool off before they would work on it. Like I expected them to work on a hot exhaust. :)

Anyway they have an '07 on the lot marked down to $23,000. I think I paid $21,000 for mine one year ago. Since the '07 is a Limited with just about everything except navigation I'm really considering trading. Then I could save up for the Superlift and GL 4x4 accessories. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts