Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, gotta get the new XK lifted. From the more experienced XK people, is there a "best" option out there?
I want the OME HD setup. I contacted Crawl Offroad (haven't got a response back yet). Looking at either just the OME lift, or their modified OME lift using the adjustable Bilsteins and strut spacers also. That seems like the route I'd like to go.

I've seen so many combinations of rear springs with the OME front springs, then just as many shock/strut options. I'd like to get this right the first time, so what is the best setup combination I can go for?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would not recommend OME springs + bilstein 5100 struts + strut spacer.

Either the 5100 struts or strut spacer would be fine, but using both would take you beyond recommended angles for front end components. Your UCA would contact the spring, and significant wear would occur on front end components.

If you want 4"+ lift you need to go with the superlift.

·
1,993 Posts
I would not recommend OME springs + bilstein 5100 struts + strut spacer.

Either the 5100 struts or strut spacer would be fine, but using both would take you beyond recommended angles for front end components. Your UCA would contact the spring, and significant wear would occur on front end components.

If you want 4"+ lift you need to go with the superlift.
^^^^^ You hit it the nail on head their. Their is a lot of bad crazy advice going on in some of the face book groups. Guys taking short cuts on normal mods wearing out and breaking their Jeeps. Then complaining because they can't afford to fix it and calling their XK\WK a POS.

zharry lucky gave you sound advice. Their is a lift limit without using the drop brackets from SL. We figured out a while ago that without the drop brackets about 3" of lift is the max for durability. At 3" you can reasonably DD and off road your XK without wearing out and breaking parts at a accelerated rate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since you guys are on the subject, how well would a RC or RR spacer + Blistein 5100 work up front? That seems to be the easiest and most cost effective way to do it. My plan(sorry for hijacking) is 5100's first, and then later adding the spacers. Lastly Load Levelers in the back with quick disconnects. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
3", or basically whatever I can do without damaging everything under the front end. I will probably also buy one of the drop UCA , but only after the originals fail, simply because they're kinda expensive. $$$ I do not want 4" or the SL,at least not until I get car for my wife to drive, but that won't be anytime soon. But I do want a quality setup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zharry lucky gave you sound advice. Their is a lift limit without using the drop brackets from SL. We figured out a while ago that without the drop brackets about 3" of lift is the max for durability. At 3" you can reasonably DD and off road your XK without wearing out and breaking parts at a accelerated rate.
And this is exactly what I'm going for. Not looking to get crazy with the actual height, and not that particular about exact inches measurement. Just looking to improve the look and give me a little more clearance when off road. But within my 2.5-3" of gained height, I want to ensure I get the best components to acheive that.

Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, with that advice in mind, what's recommended more? OME springs with Bilsteins? Or just the OME kit and add strut spaces if needed to level front/back? Either set up should keep my angles decent. Is there any major (on or off road) ride difference between OME shocks and Bilstein shocks?

·
1,993 Posts
For a 3" lift I think this pretty close to what Matt is or was using.

Parts
OME HD springs up front
Bilstien adjustable lowest setting up front. You can then measure your hub to fender length and see if you can lift it a little higher. I think 23" is the magic number somewhere around their I'd have to look that up though.
Super lift springs rear. I like a slight rake to the front and I think its functional for towing as well. Or OME with some spacers.
Bilstien rear shocks or Fox 2.0 shocks. You want extended length of at least 28" for wheel travel.
Front disconnects
The rear only takes minuets to unbolt the sway bar. With this setup you could run without a rear sway bar or get disconnects
Rusty's adjustable track bar. This is to keep your DS off the fuel tank.
JBA UCA
new isolators
Maybe do the lower ball joint while things are apart and also a good time to paint stuff
You might need a 1" spacer on the driver side rear to compensate for the fuel tank weight. But that can be added easily down the road.

Modifications I recommend.
Move the rear brake passenger side brake line bracket. Or get extended ones. The driver side probably don't need it but confirm this on your XK.
Fuel tank modification to add room for the control arm to drop more.
Pinch weld mod

Please take hub to fender measurements before you lift you XK

Not sure If I missed anything but if I think of something I'll edited it in. Or Matt can just yell at me:stickpoke:

·
1,993 Posts
I like to have some rake to the front and don't think it looks to bad either.

little different look

The main point I have is if you mix and match quality parts you will be ok. OME, bilstien, Fox, Super lift all good brand names. Just don't over do it on the lift and you have a chance of not snapping parts on your first off road trip.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I actually have a bit stranger of a setup up front.... but wont confuse everyone with that... otherwise everything else Sal said is true except id recommend running OME HD front springs with the OME struts and a 1/4" strut spacer on top (I had that setup prior to my current setup).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Oh, and definitely 4" jba or superlift rear springs instead of OME + spacer. Not only will it be cheaper, but the 4" springs wont unseat when offroad at full flex, maintaining better traction throughout suspension travel.

·
1,993 Posts
I actually have a bit stranger of a setup up front.... but wont confuse everyone with that... otherwise everything else Sal said is true except id recommend running OME HD front springs with the OME struts and a 1/4" strut spacer on top (I had that setup prior to my current setup).
I can't keep up with all your changes LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Y'all are awesome. I'm gonna work all weekend to justify all the money I'm about to spend!! :guiness:

Next weekend, on goes all new things.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm kinda confused by the OME springs. I see some say they are 3", and others 2", but every site i find them on say that the height is secondary, and it's somewhere in between 2" and 2.5"?? How much lift do OME springs by themselves actually give you? AND is there a height difference between the MD and HD springs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My understanding of the OME springs, and this isn't uncommon, is that they are the same measurements as stock springs, but they have a higher spring factor, or they compress less under the same load. You don't gain additional height, your springs just compress less. I would assume the HD is a bit stiffer than the MD. Maybe on the 3.7 V6, you wouldn't see a difference, but the MD would almost definitely give you less "height" on a Hemi model. Someone slap me if I'm wrong there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's what it seems to be, but thats what I don't understand because I know when I was looking into a Land cruiser(before I saw the Jeep truth) , OME made a "ride height" version, and then 2",3",4" versions. At least for the 90's FZJ 80. So I'm guessing they only make one version for the XK? Maybe the question is Are there actual lift springs made for the WK/XK, or is the only options SL or OME , and the obvious RR or RC strut spacers?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
lol you guys are all over the place, i'm not sure what the question is anymore :rofl:

OME springs are both taller AND have higher spring rates than stock springs. The MD springs are actually taller than the HD springs, but have a lower spring rate via smaller diameter wire.

The same springs are used on the WK platform... the XK is considerably more heavy, especially in the rear with 3rd row seating. This is probably why there's so much discussion on actual lift height... a V6 WK with OME HD springs will see a lot more lift than a Hemi XK w/3rd row seating using the same springs.

With the XK, you want OME HD springs... at least for the front. If you're offroading, get the superlift springs or JBA 4" springs. Note that these springs actually lift the rear ~3" (that's how it levels the vehicle when running the 4" suspension system.... front gets lifted 4" and rear gets lifted 3")

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry dude, I'm a noob when it comes to Jeep, and pretty new to off road. All my bros are in import ricer/4banger crowd, so I'm just thank the the Lord I got out of that.lol Anyway, Idk about zharry, but I do have a hemi XK, so I'm just trying to get about 3" lift that will last and perform Well. Ross told me that you actually get more travel with a spacer lift because it doesn't change the strut length, which OME springs would do if you didn't change the struts with it. Everybody can just punch me if I'm wrong.lol

1 - 20 of 68 Posts