Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mounting my GL 4x4 bumper - Now with Photos

So I finally took my stock front bumper off yesterday and got the GL 4x4 bumper mounted, but I ran into a couple of problems and would appreciate hearing from the other who have them to see how they handled them.

I tried to contact Ross directly, but his site is down and his email address at pirate4x4.com (the only one I have) bounced saying the account is inactive.

First off, after getting the bracket mounted to the frame member and getting the top four bolts in, I find that the bottom four bolts are not lined up and the bumper needs to go 'in' on the bottom about another half-inch to get the bolts in. The bumper was very tight sliding on and I don’t see how I can get more leverage to get the bottom pushed in a little more.. Did any of you run across this? I’ve got the top four bolts holding it on and I’m confident that they’ll hold for normal driving, but I’m not comfortable leaving it like that and certainly don’t want to get pulled out of the mud by using the rings on the front until it’s all bolted in correctly..

Now – to the wheel well liner; what did you do to the front of that? The stock bumper comes down further and the liner attaches to it with those plastic rivets but the GL bumper ends about 6-8” higher than stock and I’d like to know how the others handled this part.. From some pictures of others’ installation, it looks like you just trimmed the liner, but I’d really appreciate any better pictures of that area and to hear your experience with it – how would you do it differently if you had the chance? Did you secure the front of the liner to anything or is it just floating loose?

I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home; I had company over when I was wrapping things up last night and had to get cleaned up before I could get my camera..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
As you know, I have the stock bumper but I did get the front hitch mount from GL4x4. I'm sure someone will be along that installed his bumper. But regardless, if you want to come to my place, I'll help you with the rest of the install.

·
Registered
207 Posts
is the website the same as his email? pirate4x4.com works for me.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you know, I have the stock bumper but I did get the front hitch mount from GL4x4. I'm sure someone will be along that installed his bumper. But regardless, if you want to come to my place, I'll help you with the rest of the install.
If I'm still struggling with it this weekend (and if you're still available then) I'll take you up on that.. I appreciate it!

is the website the same as his email? pirate4x4.com works for me.
I'm sure Pirate4x4 is up, it's his email that's not:
The following message to <[email protected]> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'Recipient Rejected: Account Inactive'

And his website (http://getlost4x4.com) is suspended, according to 'FatCow' - the ISP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know, he was banned from here. I don't know why, but maybe his track record is starting to show.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I don't know, he was banned from here. I don't know why, but maybe his track record is starting to show.
He was banned from here due to issues with administration, his membership here was always on the up and up. Ross is a great guy who has just changed directions in his personal life. Maybe you should be a member for more than a month before you make a comment like that about a former member who you have had no dealing with.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Now – to the wheel well liner; what did you do to the front of that? The stock bumper comes down further and the liner attaches to it with those plastic rivets but the GL bumper ends about 6-8” higher than stock and I’d like to know how the others handled this part.. From some pictures of others’ installation, it looks like you just trimmed the liner, but I’d really appreciate any better pictures of that area and to hear your experience with it – how would you do it differently if you had the chance? Did you secure the front of the liner to anything or is it just floating loose?
I took an exacto knife and cut off the excess fender area, it was simple to do as the plastic is very soft. You can see photos in my garage of where I cut it and where I cut the flairs too.

·
2,248 Posts
Ross's track record is fine. He went back to get a degree and more education.

When I mounted my bumper I used a tree to push against with the Commander to get it all the way in so that I sould bolt it up. It takes alot of pushing, more than I could, so I use the weight and power of the jeep against a tree.

I just trimmed the liner and did not attach it anywhere.

I never had any problem with Ross and I believe that he did the smart thing in going back to school. He is a smart and capable young man that is preparing for his future.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 on Ross's character. He was great to deal with over the bumper purchase and I really wish his situation allowed him to create more cool stuff for our XKs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more stuff he made.

I'm hoping he's OK - I certainly did not mean to imply that he's anything but on the up-and-up. Just unreachable at the moment.. Otherwise, I'd be bugging /him/ with my questions.

It's most likely that he just let the web page lapse because he's busy with classes (been there, done that, got the alumni T-shirt).

·
2,248 Posts
I am sending you a PM with Ross's personal email address.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
CrunchWizard. Clear your PM's your box is full! ...thanks...GP

Well here's what I tried to PM ya:

I can come your way no problem. Let me know. But I could meet you there about the time you get home and we'd have more time to work. Up to you. Can do it here if better.

Some tools that might come in handy that I can bring are air compressor and impact wrench, sawzall, cordless drill. I don't have a shop jack but could probably borrow my soon to be SIL's.

·
Registered
207 Posts
He was banned from here due to issues with administration, his membership here was always on the up and up. Ross is a great guy who has just changed directions in his personal life. Maybe you should be a member for more than a month before you make a comment like that about a former member who you have had no dealing with.
Thats why I lead my statement with "I don't know" and "maybe". I saw that he was banned, email is stating its invalid, and website is down. I just made a comment based on that and that alone. I don't know the guy nor was I trying to give him a bad rep. But hey, your entitled to your interpretation of my statement.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Alopez, Ross is a good guy and has a lot of fans here. You just bumped into a hard wall of fans. No biggy. Do 10 pushups and you'll be forgiven. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
ross is a good guy and has a lot of fans here. You just bumped into a hard wall of fans. No biggy. Do 10 pushups and you'll be forgiven.
1 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
2 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
3 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
4 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
5 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
6 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
7 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
8 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
9 DRILL SERGEANT!!!
10 DRILL SERGEANT!!!

·
2,248 Posts
We just closed ranks a little. No problem. We tend to be quick to defend.

Ross loved to design and build his products, But like so many things in life he did not like the attendant hassles associated with running the business of selling the parts and dealing with some people. I also think he had to do too many different jobs in his one man shop and eventually realized the he would rather work smarter by getting better prepared by going back to college.

I think it was a case of his hobby not being a good path for his future.

Not sure that I want to admit this on the Internet, but I take a little responsibility for Ross going back to school and not building us more products. I took Ross and Old MacDonald to Chicago and spent a day going thru our plant. At the time I thought we were going to need some more technically compentent people to work for us. I think that both of them were excited about the technology, potential and possibilities.

Whatever Ross ends up doing he will be fine.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
yes sir!!!

1 drill sergeant!!! 2 drill sergeant!!! 3 drill sergeant!!! 4 drill sergeant!!! 5 drill sergeant!!! 6 drill sergeant!!! 7 drill sergeant!!! 8 drill sergeant!!! 9 drill sergeant!!!! 10 drill sergeant!!!
See that wasn't too bad. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry CrunchyWizard, I didn't mean to steal your thunder!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry CrunchyWizard, I didn't mean to steal your thunder!
No harm, no foul. Ya did yer pushups (although *I'd* have had you do monkey jumps :eek:rangehat:) so you're fine...

And to everyone else; I've taken care of the PM box. Won't fill up again for a while (unless you guys go nuts on it).

GP: I'll call your cell in a few. My wife hasn't come back from lunch yet..

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Thats why I lead my statement with "I don't know" and "maybe". I saw that he was banned, email is stating its invalid, and website is down. I just made a comment based on that and that alone. I don't know the guy nor was I trying to give him a bad rep. But hey, your entitled to your interpretation of my statement.
No problem, that is one down side to on-line chat. but if "you don't know" your better off not suggesting it. Enough said, I would do 10 push ups too but that would mean I would have to get out of my chair...

·
2,248 Posts
Fot those of you that do not know what Jon does. The reason that he can spend so much time online is because he takes his laptop to court. The downside is that he has been known to laugh out loud at jokes during court procedings.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts