Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my (Hemi, 4x4 Limited) Commander on Labor day, and took it to Mississippi on a 325 mile trip the next weekend. Got 15.8 mpg on first trip, 65 or so on 2 lanes, 75 on freeway. This weekend, I got 17.3 running 70 on the two lanes, and up to 80 on the freeways. That's pretty close to the 4.7 Grand I traded for it (17 mpg avg). I love this thing!

·
Registered
512 Posts
My Commander('07 V6 Sport) is averaging 13.7 so far.All driving is start and stop, local low speed driving. Cant wait to take a long hwy trip to see what it will do. Our '05 Liberty with the same eng got 23.2 on the road, I'm hoping our Commander will break 20.0.-43:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have an 07 sport 2wd with the 4.7L with and it's up to 4400 miles now.

Driving between 65-70 it will always get between 20.00 and 21.5 mpg.
Driving 60mph is gets 22mpg. Of course city driving averages 13.2 mpg so far.

One note is that the two times we've run a tank of E-85, the mileage dropped to 9mpg in the city and a max of 14.5 on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wenied said:
We have an 07 sport 2wd with the 4.7L with and it's up to 4400 miles now.

Driving between 65-70 it will always get between 20.00 and 21.5 mpg.
Driving 60mph is gets 22mpg. Of course city driving averages 13.2 mpg so far.

One note is that the two times we've run a tank of E-85, the mileage dropped to 9mpg in the city and a max of 14.5 on the interstate.
Welcome to the forum! I didn't realize E-85 had that much of a drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
YB Normyl said:
Welcome to the forum! I didn't realize E-85 had that much of a drop.
Thanks for the welcome!!

Yeah..the E-85 gets a good 25-30% worse mileage. The price here in SW louisiana for the E-85 is only about 10% less than gasoline so it's not worth it at all.

We only have one station in the state that sells E-85. Once more competition comes in i think it'll be worth it. The motor runs great on the E-85...it's even a little faster!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
4.7 4x4 - 12.52mpg city driving. Can get up to 18-20 on the highway with AC off, and cruise set at 60. Who's really going to do that? Not me. I may get 16 on the highway, on a good day.

But, that still lets me go 275 miles per tank with plenty to spare. I can't drive that far without needing to get out and stretch anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just barely returned from a trip to salt lake city...I live in st. george, utah which is about 325 miles south. I averaged 19.3 on the way there and 18.7 on the way home. I do have the 3.7 v6 and that is doing about 75-80 the whole way

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've been averaging 15 around town here in Colorado Springs, and if I keep it to 70-75, I can get 20-21 on my seemingly bi weekly trips to Denver International Airport, not too bad. If I kick it up to 80-85, it drops to 18. Saw a 2 mpg jump when I came out here, not sure if it was the motor breaking in, or if it has something to do with altitude. I'm pretty happy, but still wish for a 30 gallon tank.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been getting 13.0 mpg out in the Philly 'burbs with careful attention to gas mileage. But with all the hills* stop signs, traffic lights and traffic I think I am doing pretty well.

On the highway I struggle to get 18 mpg, but I also struggle to keep it to the speed limit. Mileage is hampered by the cargo basket, but with the five of us and the dog, we use it often enough . It'd be nice if say a green tree dashlight would turn on when the Hemi's MDS kicks in; a small reward for all the gas I'm saving. Although when I pay attention I can feel it when MDS is on.

I am going to get bored with granny style driving eventually, but I know I can generate some respectabe mpg numbers when I choose.

* I know they hardly qualify as hills compared to what some folk contend with every day. But when you are paying close attention to gas mileage you are aware every time you press the pedals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
4.7 8000miles here I average 16.5mpg combined 60% city/40% hwy, I drive slow but try not too drive slow enough to be annoying;) I've taken the snorkel off, & put in a K&N filter. Will start using synthetic oil next year. Haven't towed my boat(2000#s+) yet but I'm hoping it won't be that bad. I'll be happy if I average 15mpg over its lifetime as long as gas doesn't double in price;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Riddle I wish there was a MDS light too. I can't tell when it is working. You can feel it?? I also get conflicting info on when it is supposed to be active. Some specs say 60 MPH some say 65. I doubt it is really MPH anyway it is probably a combination of RPM/ throttle position and engine load.
I do drive like granny some times and can get just about 18 on the highway with 87 octane.
I have to be honest though some times the testosterone kicks in and it REALLY feels good to mash that thing and fly past some unsuspecting sap driving an H3!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've driven mine 30,000+ miles now - I get about 16 around town, 19 or so highway, and about 12-13 pulling a loaded two horse trailer. I have the hemi limited version. It drives me nuts to see the comparisons made to the Commander (like in Consumer Reports). First, they say it gets 13 mpg. Then they suggest something foreign and little as an alternative - like that's going to tow my horses or my boat. I adore my Commander. We camped in it this weekend, and the back makes a decent bed, if you happen to be camping where they are having bear warnings!

Katy

·
Registered
397 Posts
JJSebastian, yeah, I feel the Hemi's MDS 'on' mostly in the foot on the gas pedal. The the hum like vibration slows. I've read that some people can actually hear the differance, but my hearing just isn't that good.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I've been getting about 14.6 recently... based on a 13.3 reading and adding in 10% for the tires being larger than stock. I do baby it to get my numbers, but sometimes its nice to just let go. If I had a bigger tank, I'd look at it less - but I hate pulling over every other gas station.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Polar, I agree. Many people complain about the MPG but usually they set their expectations too high. Usually higher than the big sticker on the window. ANYWAY...
Many more people expected the milage the commander gets, some even pleased. But just about everyone wants a larger fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
JJSEBASTIAN said:
But just about everyone wants a larger fuel tank.
That's why I'm going to start researching an auxiliary fuel tank to mount where the spare currently goes. At least then the space won't be wasted when I lift the truck and put larger tires on it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
joskt0204 said:
I've driven mine 30,000+ miles now - I get about 16 around town, 19 or so highway, and about 12-13 pulling a loaded two horse trailer. I have the hemi limited version. It drives me nuts to see the comparisons made to the Commander (like in Consumer Reports). First, they say it gets 13 mpg. Then they suggest something foreign and little as an alternative - like that's going to tow my horses or my boat. I adore my Commander. We camped in it this weekend, and the back makes a decent bed, if you happen to be camping where they are having bear warnings!

Katy
Is that with the 5.7?

rwmorrisonjr said:
That's why I'm going to start researching an auxiliary fuel tank to mount where the spare currently goes. At least then the space won't be wasted when I lift the truck and put larger tires on it.
One of the Aussie Jeep sites has posts of auxiliary fuel tanks for Commanders. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts