Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I am going to be getting a commander with in the next 6 months :) and I went and looked at them this weekend to get a feel for the interior and noticed that the 4.7 gets 1 more MPG city than the 3.7 v6 :icon_confused: I was originally going to get a 3.7 but now I am considering the 4.7v8
Is this correct or was it just a miss print what are you guys getting with your 4.7v8 :)
I plan on putting a K&N in and an exhaust

Also dose the limited come with the 3.7 or just the 4.7 & HEMI :icon_confused:?????????

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This is correct because the 3.7 has to work harder to move the heavy Commander. We have several members here who love their 3.7, but many more with the 4.7 who will tell you to get the V8 for many reasons.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The 4.7 seems to be better all around. The drivetrain is better for offroad with the low range QTII. Those who have driven the 3.7 say it is sluggish on acceleration. If you plan on a lift and tires some day the 4.7 is the best choice.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Also dose the limited come with the 3.7 or just the 4.7 & HEMI :icon_confused:?????????
The Limited only comes with the 4.7 or the 5.7 HEMI.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Well poo, sounds like I bought the 'wrong' engine with my 5.7 liter HEMI... :(
I wouldn't say that exactly, the milage on the 5.7 isn't much off of the 4.7. If I could afford it I would have gone with the HEMI. If you still think the 5.7 is "wrong" I will be happy to swap engines with you. LOL

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hang on there CUPRA,
I also have the 4.7 and consider it a very good engine as well,,,,,,but, if I was to ever do heavy towing [I have a F/S Chevy truck for that] or a lot of mountain driving I would consider nothing less than your 5.7.
There really is no replacement for displacement, especially when trailer hauling.
Sure, the 4.7 will do it, but it'll be working its a** off, and, because a deeper throttle position would be required to pull that load, the 4.7 will get poorer mileage.
My opinion, you have the right engine for your potental needs and will not wish you had more if you were hauling a boat or something.
..........Rob

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Go for the 4.7, its definitely worth it over the V6. If you're towing, get the Hemi unless you're buying a 2008 or later, then the 4.7 will be fine since the power numbers are similar between the two.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree with what's been discussed. The 3.7L models were doing 2mpg better than the HEMI via highway (can't recall exactly on the city mpgs). Indeed I settled for the 4x2 Limited w/ the HEMI. Here in Houston, we can do 4x2 b/c it hardly snows, and well, when it floods, ya not driving through the swamps hehehe! It has served well through the massive rainstorms we've had, let alone future hurricanes ..."Come on Ike, we're ready!".

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
does anyone know the GVW of the XK with all 3 engine options?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well poo, sounds like I bought the 'wrong' engine with my 5.7 liter HEMI... :(
Ummmmm...

You are joking here right???:icon_confused:

The HEMI is the way to go if you can afford it! I love my 4.7 but I wish I could have found one with QDII. Kind of a rare breed but I believe standard with the HEMI.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
does anyone know the GVW of the XK with all 3 engine options?
Here are the weights by model:

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239

And here are the weights with the different engines (courtesy of Ahmed):

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
thanks, I guess that I meant to ask the curb weight. I didn't think that the 5.7 limited was that much more than the 4.7 sport. 150lbs can mean alot on the street or on the trail.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
a49erFan said:
Actually from the chart, the 4.7 is heavier than the 5.7!
Click on the bar above the chart to make it bigger and look again.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That would be why I deleted my post :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts