Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get some bigger tires and I really like the the MT's look and function.

What is the pro's and con's of a MT v.s AT?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
- MT's make more noise on the road.
+ MT's look way more agressive.

Take a look at Goodyear Duratrac's. Kind of a mixture between both. I have them for almost a year now and absolutely love them. Outside is more a MT while the inside of the tire is more an AT. Becuase the profile is more like an AT on the inside the tire is relatively silent.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about MPG? is there a difference?

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
Do you really need the MTs ? Are you going to be doing any mudding ? If not go with the ATs which will give better on road performance and still give you better off-road performance than a steet tire.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have BFG ATs and I love them. The only time i ever hear road noise is when im coasting into my drive way, turning, windows down, radio off. my friends with MTs say theyre a lot louder and dont have as good traction on the road. unless youre going to be boggin' in your XK i wouldnt get them. And if you do plan on it, look on craigslist and try to take them off someone lifting a JK, XKs have the same bolt patter and people are always selling a full set of those on craigslist.

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Not all mud tires are loud. My friend just put a set of 33x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country MT's on his BDS lifted 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee and they are really quiet. You cant hear them at all with the windows up even with the radio off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i totally agree with the Goodyear Duratrac's they are nice if you are 70% street and 30% offroad like weekends only i would have gone with the MTZ's but i was also thinking of flagstaff durring winter and heard they do awsome in snow .....i have not had a chance to test in rock but i have in loose dirt and sand , can i say nice ride oh and with out 4low and kicking up a truckload of dirt going uphill still vary pleased.

i will be gettn a second pair.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will MT give worse MPG than AT ?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I picked up the Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, 285/65/18. They advertise them as a cross between a MT and AT and of course they say they are quiet. But thats their spin. And I guess I bought into it Ha... Unfortunately the 6-8hr job of installing them and my lift is already going on 2 1/2 weeks (long story). They look great and when I finally get them on the road and if you haven't decided by then, I'll be glad to update you with my impression of these tires also.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Will MT give worse MPG than AT ?
9 times out of 10......yes

But in the end it really depends on the tire size/weight also. If your replacing your stock tires with a mud tire in the same size then it might not be as noticable if you go with a mud tire. Its when you go from a 245/65R17 highway tire to lifting your XK with 265/70R17 MT...thats when you lose gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
More FYI,
I just read a letter to the editor in this months Four Wheeler mag. asking if and how much gas millage one could save by switching from a MT to a AT ( he was running 33 Mt's). Their response ..." All other things being equal, we can't imagine that you'd see any noticeable difference in fuel economy, assuming the tires are the exact same size. The difference in weight between the two types of tires will typically be minimal ( and in this particular case, a Baja ATZ actually weights more than a Baja MTZ), and while the less knobby all-terrain will deliver more adhesion and a smoother ride ( and less vibration and rolling resistance) than a mud-terrain, we doubt you'd even see a savings of 1/2 mile per gallon."

Wasn't what I would have expected for a response,, and NO I still haven't got my baby back, so can't provide you with my thoughts on my MT's.. One of these days,, By then you will have gotten a set and worn them out by the time I get mine back from the dealer. I feel like Gilligan and his 3 hour tour...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. My MT are awesome and im so glad I went with these and not AT.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My MTs just wore out after almost 40K miles. They got a bit squirrely near the end, and the last rotation and balancing didn't seem to help.

Went with ATs and WOW! I never realized how much road noise those MTs put out! I can hear the motor again. I haven't noticed any change in MPG, but the noise level is amazingly different.

edit: guess I better modify my sig line, no longer BFG MT

·
Registered
423 Posts
I found a set of brand new 255/75/17 Firestone Destination MT's on craigslist for $450, cannot decide if I should jump on the deal or wait and get some AT's?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found a set of brand new 255/75/17 Firestone Destination MT's on craigslist for $450, cannot decide if I should jump on the deal or wait and get some AT's?
Well imo those Firestone Mts Howl like a wolf...lol if u dnt mind the noise then they are a great deal they have a really deep tread. But if u want a quieter ride then i would wait and try to score a good deal on some at's

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks, I've decided to pass on the deal. I cannot justify buying MT's considering that I'm off road only 4-5 times per month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts