Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of purchasing the molded mudguards but now sure how it would effect the look. But will need them come winter. Anyone have these? If so, can you post some pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have them on mine. you can paint them the same colour as your car too. a worth while inverstment unless you plain on painting the lower panels often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got mine coming tomorrow (can't wait) with the moulded type (and chrome side steps), you in the US or UK ? In the UK the dealer network hasn't quite got there head round the accessories etc. Quite a good picture from this site and the dealer (once I'd given them the right part code) ordered them in.

Let me know if you want a 'real picture' tomorrow and I'll post some up.

http://www.justforjeeps.com/spgudemo19.html

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Ricky, thanks for the photos. Rikmeister, can you post pics of yours?

I really want to install the mudguards to protect the cmdr from the harsh chicago winters - road salt. But looking at the pics, not so sure I like the way they look. (dont get me wrong Big Ricky, your cmdr looks sweet!)

Still undecided. Maybe I will take a trip to the dealer and see if they have any with the guards already installed. ?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put the other style mudgards on (the rubber ones). Then again, I like that rugged look a little more than the molded ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

I just purchased and installed the plastic mud guards last night.

Observations by new Jeep owner during installation:

Lots of plastic in the Commander. I guess it is good against rust but seems very unstable.

We do not get as much snow as Chicago, but we do get snow here in St. Louis and the DOT uses lots of salt. I got the mud guards not realizing that they are cup-shaped towards the wheel side, so the plastic mud guards are constucted in a way that I suspect will actually hold the snow up in the wheel well. It looks like the snow will hang on the guard and then melt all over the inside of my garage once I am home. There is no way for the snow to easily slide off on it's own. Maybe some Pam cooking spray in the inside of the guard would solve this. Any thoughts?

Are there rubber ones available? That might have been best. The plastic ones look really nice on the JC and will work very well on stopping dirt being thrown up on the vehicle but I am not sure about how they will be for deep snow.

Comments? Suggestions?

I will try to post picts when I can... :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure when I'll be able to get out and take any pics, but I really didn't care for the mounting set up for the rubber mud guards. All the fasteners were plastic and they just attach to the plastic fender flare. I'm worried about going through 12" plus snow up here in ND and them getting torn off....or things getting really brittle when it's 30 below and them ripping off in even less snow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Herd Mentality said:
Not sure when I'll be able to get out and take any pics, but I really didn't care for the mounting set up for the rubber mud guards. All the fasteners were plastic and they just attach to the plastic fender flare. I'm worried about going through 12" plus snow up here in ND and them getting torn off....or things getting really brittle when it's 30 below and them ripping off in even less snow.
Good to know about the plastic fasteners with the rubber mud guards. The plastic guards have sheet metal type screws and metal clips that attach to the plastic fender lining. Seems strong enough. With the plastic mud guards there is no "give" because they are rigid, so if you hit something who knows what will happen.

:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there such a thing as the right/perfect mud guard? seems neither the rubber or molded is just right. pros/cons for both. hmmmmm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Club1820 said:
Is there such a thing as the right/perfect mud guard? seems neither the rubber or molded is just right. pros/cons for both. hmmmmm not sure what to do.
If it helps anybody's decision, the rubber guards won't fit the Hemi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The molded guards look real nice and I like the Jeep logo in the back. They were a snap to install too. I just did mine last month, and it's totally saving me from washing the thing after every trip. (I'm a little obsessed!) And too as a side note, I built my Commander from the Jeep factory and had them install the chrome tubular side steps, (some call nerf-bars) and I was originally worried about the guards not fitting, because everywhere I read it said that they would not work with Mopar running boards. Ended up going on just fine. Just for any of those who were curious!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ground clearance warning: adding mud guards cuts down on your ground clearance...
I had a negative experience with similar mud guards on an Isuzu Trooper a few years ago -- a week of driving rocky roads in the Adirondacks in northern New York state left one of my fender 'surrounds' loose after the mud guard behind the tire hit a rock I was rolling over. The rock knocked the mud guard askew, which carried the attached fender surround with it about a quarter inch out of place.

They're nice to have otherwise, though I don't really think I'll have to paint anything without them, but I think they do compromise any dirt roading you'll do. So I skipped them on my Commander. If the flexible ones are super flexy, you might avoid the problem. Can anybody comment on just how flexy they are?

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, and along the thought with Commo, you lose alot of clearance with the tubular side steps too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The flexy rubber ones make more sense for my application, it would seem.. maybe I'll check them out.

tnx.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I Am A Parts Counter Person For A Chrysler Jeep Dealer In Buffalo N.y. We Put On A Ton Of Mup Flaps Here In Snow Country.i Have Put Both Kinds Of Guards On.i Have Had A Couple Problems.(ave. Snow Fall A Day About 6 Inch Or So). The Molded Ones Hold Some Snow So You Have To Be Careful.if You Give Them A Little Tap The Snow Comes Right Off.the Hd Rubber Flap Don't Hold The Snow But Are A Little Hard To Mount.even I Wish They Used Metal Screws To Mount Them. But We (knock On Wood) Have Not Had Any Come Back.being A Commander Owner (formerly A Liberty Owner) I Look For Problems To Help My Customers.any Question Please Ask I Will Try To Help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, what I feared would happen with the rubber mud flaps did happen, but not in the snow. I was unloading a boat yesterday and the water pushed the flap into the tire, it grabbed and ripped the mud flap off. Now I'm the proud owner of a 3 mud flap rig. The crappy plastic hardware is all busted. I guess now I'll be forced to find a new way to attach it all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts