Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Commander off-road last night and through some mud. Nothing too deep (nothing above the bottom of the door), but I did get stuck once or twice. On the ride home, everything was OK (save a little mud in the wheels that threw the balance off a tad). After leaving the highway and navigating the local streets on the way to a car wash, the temp gauge began sliding steadily towards red... Uhoh. I figured the radiator was caked with mud, and I was right. So I powerwashed it off, drove it home, and went to bed.

This morning, looked like I didn't do a great job, so to a full-service wash I went. After it went through there, and shortly after I drove off, the ESP/BAS light, the "ESP disabled, Jeep on top of squiggly lines" light, and the ABS light all came on, along with a warning on the EVIC to "Service 4WD System". About the only thing it didn't say was to eject. :) I was on the way to the airport, and upon getting there (and off the highway), the temp went high enough to fire off a "Check gauges" EVIC notification.

Sooooo... When I get back, it's off to the dealer to get checked out.

Anyways, that "Trail Rated" badge may prove to be more symbolic than real... Just FYI. I'll let you know what happens. With luck, my rock rails will be in and it will be one giant service call.

- Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like you might have gotten some mud stuck in between an ABS sensor.
CHeck your fan too. You might have caked the fan with mud causing it not to want to turn on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after sitting at the airport for 3 days, the JC must have decided that I'd abandoned it due to it's misbehaving, and it decided to be completely normal when I left the airport. Weird. I'll be making sure that all the mud is gone today.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dude you should of got some pictures. That sounds like an unforgettable time. Hope everything is okay. maximo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting problem. I have had theESP/BAS light come on as well as the ESP disabeld light. This has happened a couple of times during normal street driving. I have not experienced overheating and the lights eventually went out. The vehicle drove fine just with the lights on.

I have had the commander off road once, not in the mud though. When I shifted into 4 low the ESP disabled light came on but I think thats normal.

The problem with the warning lights coming on is worriesome. There is a thread about this occuring somewhere. Seems to be a problem with a wiring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just gave it a nice undercarraige bath and must have removed about 100lbs of mud - no joke. My driveway looks like a sad attempt at laying a layer of dirt.

Once she dries out I'll see how well I (still?) fare.

·
Registered
396 Posts
JoeTampa -

Best pictures yet!!!

Is that with the stock Fortera tires??? Impressive...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I went out and looked under the front of the XK. The coolers are located rather low and will most definatly catch mud. By the looks of your pics, you were catching mud. It's too bad they have to be mounted so low. I guess that's just another reason we need to lift our rides. My 03 Liberty is the same way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep.. I think the XK will be limited to trails from now on. :)

That was indeed with the stock tires, and I'd call it "dumb" rather than impressive. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great pics. I did that once in a brand new TJ and permanently stained all the hoses s**t-brown. Good times!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
That looks like the Mudd family picture. The guy driving even looks like the father!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the pics. It's going to be some time before I'm ready to subject mine to such filth. One of my previous off-road vehicles was so covered with mud that you couldn't see anything but mud. It took years to get it all out of every nook and cranny, but what a blast. I did recently buy a pressure washer just for keeping the undercarriage clean. I hope your rig is all back to normal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. So far, so good. It went for a nice car wash this evening, followed by a trip to the store for some stuff - no problems. I think (hope?) it's all better now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's what you buy an old XJ for.

Good luck cleaning it up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Argh! More overheating tonight, and found MORE mud stuck BETWEEN the radiator "elements" (?). Cleaned that out, and then realized that mud was caked in the path of the fan and causing it to be stuck. Fixed that, fan is running, and we'll see what happens...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts