Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lots of rocks on our winter roads here from the "sand" they put on the roads. thinking of a mudflap of some sort to stop the bottom half getting trashed. soft rubber or hard plastic? any preferences? authentic Jeep from the stealership, or parts store special? also thinking of the bug/rock deflector. anybody have any input?

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hard plastic may get trashed during off roading. You could also get a snow and ice build up between the hard plastic flap and the tire. I would get the softer type.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
bug/rock deflector looks good but doesn't do much to keep bugs off your windshield.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good point about the moulded flaps and the ice. atleast with the soft rubber ones you could just kick the ice off and not worry about breaking them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, take it from someone who was born and brought up in Massachusetts...that's what will happen.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got the OEM molded mudguards and they look good. seem to keep debris off the sides of the Commander. But they are like a spoon on the side facing the tire. I'll bet it would build up some pretty good icebergs.
We have these and they look great, but as stated take them off before entering the trail - I already ripped one off this past summer. :mofo:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Easy way to avoid mudflaps, is to ask GETLOST to fabricate you some extended wheel well flares. I am thinking about looking into that down the road. Some heavy duty wheel flares. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Easy way to avoid mudflaps, is to ask GETLOST to fabricate you some extended wheel well flares. I am thinking about looking into that down the road. Some heavy duty wheel flares. What do you think?
We had a member that already tried it--it didn't work out too good.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Perhaps ones that look like the factory ones, but larger and much more beefier... and ofcourse made of metal.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
If those are metal and heavily braced underneath... then yes. Exactly. But perhaps without those fake bolt holes. Those things just collect dirt and are hard to wash and wax...lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the molded ones will be just fine with snow and ice. I had front and rear flaps on my Ram with no breakage from winter build up, and i plan on getting them for my commander very soon. I had 42,000 miles on my truck when I turned it in without a single stone chip on the rockers/lower doors. It was a beautiful thing! I will never not have them on another vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts