Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a while back on here about somebody putting a 60 series flowmaster (i believe) on a 3.7L commander. Has anybody else done mods to the exhaust? If you have how is the sound? I'm looking for something with a decent sound for a 3.7L, not too loud but not too quiet. Before the smart remarks come, i know, i know, I should've gotten a HEMI. :bigmouth:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's right I forgot you had a different muffler on yours. Which flowmaster did you try?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think it was the SUV but cant quite remember. Muffler City placed each one on the XK and held it in place while another employee started the XK and rev'd it so I could choose. I am sure they would do the same for you. Only down fall is your old muffler is cut off before you make your decision. But if you go down there talk to Al Jr. Good guy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've got the magnaflow on my 3.7, part number is MF-12256. No exhaust tip like AK, but it sounds good - not too loud, but enough rumble for us. I'll try to post video/audio tonight.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Can't wait. Where did you buy the muffler from? The exhaust should sound good with the CAI too. How do you like yours? I love my K&N 65.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was the SUV but cant quite remember. Muffler City placed each one on the XK and held it in place while another employee started the XK and rev'd it so I could choose. I am sure they would do the same for you. Only down fall is your old muffler is cut off before you make your decision. But if you go down there talk to Al Jr. Good guy.
I think I'm actually going to do it myself although the fact that they let you listen to them prior to welding it sounds very tempting. I like them loud but I have to keep in mind that the family rides in it too. I got the super 40 on my ranger but that would be way too loud for the commander.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I hear ya but for the money I spent it was worth it. Going to hit them up again after the Christmas bills and replace the muffler on my new XK.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have never heard a Flowmaster on a Commander, but almost on any other truck/SUV, flowmaster makes them sound like a big ford 350. The sound is not deep, but very loud and acoustic if that makes any sense.

I hope the Magnaflow that bjamrow has does not sound like that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have never heard a Flowmaster on a Commander, but almost on any other truck/SUV, flowmaster makes them sound like a big ford 350. The sound is not deep, but very loud and acoustic if that makes any sense.

I hope the Magnaflow that bjamrow has does not sound like that.
I think the sound turned out good - given what I was working with, the 3.7...just enough rumble without being too loud in the cabin - kids and wife wouldn't have been too happy with that, well, the kids might have :) This is the first video I've posted, so I hope it works.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/bjamrow/?action=view&current=DSCN1510.flv]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Can't wait. Where did you buy the muffler from? The exhaust should sound good with the CAI too. How do you like yours? I love my K&N 65.

I'm really happy with our K&N 77 CAI - I figured that we'd need a little more "help" for the 3.7 after the lift and tires.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Great sound. I had to turn my speakers up though. Where did you buy the muffler at?

I have one off topic about your CAI. When I start the commander on cold start, I hear a vacuum sound, but it goes away once it is warmed up. Does yours do the same thing.

I like the chrome. I was surprised that you have the filter wrap like I do. Not too many people. It will save us from cleaning the filter less often and will save water spray from getting into the engine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry - I forgot to respond on where: Bud's Muffler in Colorado Springs. I bought the exaust at Avenger 4WD in the Springs also - and they recommended both the chrome and the filter cover - so that's what I did. And I didn't do any reprogramming, simply disconnected the battery.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great sound. I had to turn my speakers up though. Where did you buy the muffler at?

I have one off topic about your CAI. When I start the commander on cold start, I hear a vacuum sound, but it goes away once it is warmed up. Does yours do the same thing.

I like the chrome. I was surprised that you have the filter wrap like I do. Not too many people. It will save us from cleaning the filter less often and will save water spray from getting into the engine.
And on the vacuum sound, yep, I get it too, very brief though. After I first installed it, I thought I forgot or accidentaly disconnected a hose!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Keep us posted about gas mileage with your new exhaust. I also did not buy the Commander for gas mileage, but I don't want to decrease the mpg. The CAI has helped a little in power and mpg. What about you?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm averaging about 13.2 - but I drive surface streets exactly 6 miles each way to work. And we installed the CAI and Muffler right after the lift and tires - so while we haven't seen an increase from before the lift and tires, I can't say that it didn't help. We're drivng to AZ for Christmas - so we'll see what we get on the road. I got right at 20 on a trip w/o any of the mod's about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My mpg was 21 on a road trip to Buffalo, NY from Nashville, TN. I was probably going 75 mph the whole way. One time I averaged 25 when I was going 60 mph to save fuel because Nashville had a gas shortage about 2 months ago and some gas stations said NO GAS on their signs.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the muffler and how much did the shop charge to install it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't recall off the top of my head - but I've got the invoice at work and I have to run in tomorrow, so I'll try to let you know tomorrow.

·
Registered
346 Posts
$200 installed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts