Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have been on the forum for a few weeks now and have done a lot of research in regards to lifting my Commander with a 2" lift from Rocky-Road or Rusty's and 265/70/17 tires which I have seen a lot of forum readers using. This is what I have found out in my troubles......

I ordered a 2" lift kit from Rusty's instead of Rocky-Road. The lift kit at Rocky Road I was told by a Representative there was on backorder 3 weeks and I called multiple times! I called Rusty's and they had the kit in stock and they were $50 cheaper with the shocks. The lift kit parts are nearly identical. The actual metal front spacer measures 1.5" and the poly rear spacer measures 1.5" at the groove resting point for the spring from both vendors. I measured the kit I received from Rusty's and called them to confirm I received the right kit. The kit actually gives you a 2.25" to 2.5" lift due to geometery changes at the steering/control arm assembly. I confirmed with my lift kit on. I called Rocky-Road and had them measure the spacers for me while I was on the phone and they also said that the spacers measure 1.5", same as Rusty's.

I talked with a lot of people about keeping my original rims and using wheel adapters to space out the tire and rims to avoid the upeer sterring knuckle assembly. It was a 50% bad and 50% okay response I got back. So with that I went with new rims. Let me begin to tell you that there are not many 17" rims with a 5x5 127mm bolt pattern on the market right now that will fit correctly on a Jeep Commander in regards to offset and backspacing. You cannot use a smaller rims size due to the rotor/brake assembly. The original rims are 17"x7" with a 6.25" backspace. This is a difference of 2.75" offset on the rim into the wheel well. In my choices I chose the same wheels as Kelli on this forum (sorry Kelli, I only had three rim choices and the other 2 I did not care for at all). It is a Moto Metal 954 17"x8" zero offset. I informed my tire shop of the research that I did and said that many forum users were using a 265/70/17 tire. So they ordered those for me. Now the fun and fitting began....

The same shop that ordered my tires and rims put on the lift kit from Rusty's. Let me say that the lift kit nearly levels out the Commander from the 1.75" lean it has at stock from back to front. Perfect! The rims center out under the rotor assembly and provide a wider stance. I talked with my Jeep/Chrysler Service advisor about this and he said that it would actually create a better center of gravity than the current stock fit and would not cause any forseen issues with stress on the steering components and assembly. Perfect. Now the tires. They shop picked out 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers for me (same ones as Kelli on this forum). I did not choose tire brand, but tire size. They slapped the tires on and the problems began....

The tires fit and look incredible! Only one problem, they rub terribly in the front wheel wells only at the back of the wheel well. With the steering wheel turned 180degrees in either direction they just begin to touch the backwall of the wheel well. At 360 degrees they begin to push on the wheel well 1/4" back and stop. So I said, "I will just remove the wheel wells". So I decided to venture behind the wheel well on the drivers side to see what was behind. Behind the wheel well is a pinch weld that measure 1.75" from the body. This is the body weld not frame weld. With the steering wheel turned 360degrees the tire makes direct contact with the wheel well and the wheel well makes direct contact with the pinch weld. Overtime the 1/8" plastic wheel well would begin to tear and the tire would eventually make full contact with the metal and probably tear off the wheel well in the process in a bad situation. So I thought maybe I would just cut the weld in two places and fold over the pinch weld in this area for added tire clearence. So I went to the passenger side. Same weld but a totally new issue. There are four lines that run just to the side of this weld. I have yet to identify these lines but after the car is running for 120" the temp on the lines with a infared temp gun is 186degrees. These lines are not in the way for street and highway driving with 265/70/17 tires on, but offroad, different. The lines are covered with a plastic/metal looking cover on the very bottom of the truck and that is where it stops. As the lines go vertical up behind the wheel well they are not protected. With the tire simulated on top of a 6" rock at an angle in the shop, the tire had <1/8" clearence from the lines. Not a comfortable feeling for me for offraoding. This was a controlled tire lift not what mother nature will provide! I thought about having my metal friends manufacture a plate for me to cover these lines but they said if the temp was that high already, the plate would help retain the heat and possibly cause issues in the future. They also said that if the plate was crushed by wheel contact while offraoding, it could make contact with the lines and cause even more issues. I decided not to F-up my truck like this. The shop suggested a slightly smaller tire than the 265/70/17 31.6"x10.8" tire. They suggested a Bridgestone 245/70/17 which is a 30.5"x9.5" tire. They have put them on today and I am going down there today to see how they fit and look. They did at one time put my stock 245/65/17 29.5" tires back on beacasue of the rubbing and it looked like I could afford the truck, lift, and rims, but not the tires.

I will keep you updated tomorrow after I look at the situation tonight. The other members of the forum, please check your setup with 265/70/17 tires and larger. You may have some major future issues with your setup.

Scott

·
Registered
110 Posts
The shop that installed the lift on my XK has a working relationship w/ Rusty's and has experimented w/ various combinations. I have no experience w/ RR but the Rusty's works well for me for this amount of lift and you max out w/ the 265/70/17 tire using either the factory rims w/ spacers or a correctly spaced aftermarket rim. Even then all 265/70/17 tires are not created equal. Some have a rounded edge w/ a tread width that will work and others have a squared edge w/ a wider tread width that will rub. The shop that installed my kit removes and modifies the wheel tub and modifies the understructure to maximize clearance. IIRC, I thought that a snag w/ maximizing clearance on the biggest tires was the routing of the AC lines behind the tubs.

What many suggest is to take measurements of your clearance after the lift is installed using the factory rim/tires as a benchmark. Then compare this w/ the published height/sectional width/tread width of the larger 265/70/16 tires and you will quickly see which tires to rule out. Some easily fit and others clearly will not (unless you allow minor rubbing). Tires that are on the fence should be test fit prior to purchasing.

If you wish to use a larger tire than this, I'd suggest getting the new AEV lift packaged w/ the plug in computer upgrade module.

XKPearl

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XKPearl said:
The shop that installed my kit removes and modifies the wheel tub and modifies the understructure to maximize clearance. IIRC, I thought that a snag w/ maximizing clearance on the biggest tires was the routing of the AC lines behind the tubs.

XKPearl,

What exactly did your shop do to the wheeltub and understructure to maximize clearance? Did they cut away the plastic wheel well in the fronts? What do you mean by, "IIRC, I thought that a snag w/ maximizing clearance on the biggest tires was the routing of the AC lines behind the tubs"?

What does IIRC mean? Did you relocate the AC lines? This was my biggest worry for I knew I could cut and fold over the body pinch weld for extra clearance but the AC lines were right there to be rubbed on. Like less than a 1/8" from the tire at a stand still with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right.

I have 245/70/17's installed now because of the AC lines but miss the way the 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers looked on the truck.

Any input would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the truck lifted. Talked with my Service Advisor down at Jeep today. Looks like the AC lines may be relocated. Lookinig into this and will let you know.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, The sensors are in the valve stems. Tell the tire shop this and they will remove and reinstall the valve stems in your new rims.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is my Jeep lifted, from last Sunday at Azusa. Going on another trip this weekend with Hummer H2's and the Porsche Club. I'm taking the Commander.

I looked at the REVO's and they definitely have a more rounded edge than a BFG KO would. Of course, that could have something to do with the way I take corners on the street. Just kidding. I haven't noticed any serious rubbing. Perhaps the water and mud is serving as a friction preventative.

·
Registered
396 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
Great photos SYCOHEMI! Are they taken somewhere in California?
San Gabriel Valley OHV Park. $8 for the pass, and worth every penny!

Fun place.

·
Registered
187 Posts
2006 Commander 5.7L Ltd, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Cargo Net, K&N FIPK, Optima Yellow Top, Rocky Road 2.25 inch lift, 1.25 inch 6061 T6 Wheel Adapters, REVO's 265/70R 17!...I like your style...But i'm gonna have to go with some Nitto Mudd Grapplers!..."HELLS YEAH"...Hopefully by X-mas!

·
Registered
1 Posts
"They suggested a Bridgestone 245/70/17 " so how did these tires work and did you have to modify the wheel wells after putting them on - was there still rubbing in the wheel wells?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
jds said:
"They suggested a Bridgestone 245/70/17 " so how did these tires work and did you have to modify the wheel wells after putting them on - was there still rubbing in the wheel wells?
I am not sure on the Bridgestone's but I am running 245/70R17 Wrangler SilentArmor tires with NO lift and NO rubbing.

I would think that, with the lift you should be able to go up to at least a 245/75R17 tire (of course you would want to test fit them). This would be very close radius to the 265/70/17s but with a factory width.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.