Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, my name is Kameron, I'm 19, im located on the west coast, I was involved in a head on collision in November that resulted in the total loss of my fj cruiser. So I set my eyes on a commander, had to wait a couple months to work out insurance, but was finally able to start shopping around about two weeks ago, I just got my commander on the 24th and have already started on my mods. This will be where I share all of my progress and questions. If anyone has questions for me, feel free to ask!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And yesterday, the 27th, I had a 2.5" strut spacer installed up front, and a set of used bfg all terrains (285/70/r17s) temporarily until I get my 6" lift in the following months.
Definitely have ALOT of rubbing. Lol. And the lift put the old ball joints and CVS over the edge, so those will be getting replaced tomorrow morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
congratulations on your new purchase. It looks like you not wasting any time getting it set up to you liking. I just bought a Commander about 2 weeks ago so I'm also a new owner... those with lots more time here will soon jump in and welcome you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
congratulations on your new purchase. It looks like you not wasting any time getting it set up to you liking. I just bought a Commander about 2 weeks ago so I'm also a new owner... those with lots more time here will soon jump in and welcome you.
Thanks man! I appreciate it! Congrats on yours too! And yeah, I've been planning it all out over the past couple months so I have my game plan all set in order.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to hear about your FJ cruiser, looks bad hit.

But all looks perfectly good on your Commander, waiting to see when those neat new wheels on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear about your FJ cruiser, looks bad hit.

But all looks perfectly good on your Commander, waiting to see when those neat new wheels on.
Thanks, it wasn't too bad inside the vehicle, the worst happened on the outside. Lol and yeah me too! I'll definitely be posting the pictures here when I finally get them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got to take her out in the dirt for the first time, definitley have a lot of mysterious clunks coming from the front end on bumps, im sure its courtesy of the maintenence neglegent last owner lol. Granted I know one of them is from the spindle hitting the strut, but the rest I hope will be resolved from the replacement of the upper arm with ball joint and bushings, outer tie rods, lower control arm bushings, and lower strut bushings. If it still makes noise after that I'll have to consult the experts (you guys.) And just an fyi, I know the sway bar links are nutorious for noise, so to eliminate that, I just took the sway bar completely off. Haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I forgot to mention how awesome this thing did in the snow, almost 2 feet in some parts of the trail and the Quadradrive handled every bit of it. I'll tell you what though, it was pretty trippy feeling the power get shifted to the front wheels when going up slippery hills. Haha
Here are some pictures from my expedition.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't had much time for modding the XK, but I'm back at it!

Since the last post I have gotten matching 2.5" steel lift spacers for the rear, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, RRO UCAs up front, a few little performance parts, and some new tires (265s)

Been working on installing LED lights this weekend.
Will be finishing them tonight.

Light wise my XK is going to have
-One 32" bar up front, one out back
-Six 18w pods up front, two for each side
-Six 55w 7" HIDs in a custom light rack like I had on my FJ.
And maybe a couple more if I'm not happy with those.

Picture of the FJ light rack attached for design reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After having an FJ and now a Commander how do you compare the two? Just curious.
They're two different beasts honestly, my FJ was built as a prerunner for our race truck, so I was able to go over some pretty rough terrain upwards of 70mph, my commander on the other hand is WAY more comfortable to drive, more seats, more space, and what feels like almost double the power from the fjs 4.0 V6.

Off road wise my FJ took the commander in every aspect, except crawling (Thanks to QD2) but that's also because the FJ had around 10 grand is suspension components alone.

Daily driver and practicality wise, the commander is leaps ahead. And the sound of that hemi is magical.

Once I have the extra coin to drop a couple thousand in some custom suspension from Icon into my XK, I think it will be able to achieve what my FJ did. But only time will really tell.

From a stock point to of view though, I'd take the commander any day of the week.

·
Registered
139 Posts
good to see the commanders are still alive. I love my XK hemi and with less than 40k miles on it i have lots of time to enjoy it. =]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good to see the commanders are still alive. I love my XK hemi and with less than 40k miles on it i have lots of time to enjoy it. =]
Dam, I wish mine had that low of miles! I bought mine with 116k and I'm already up to 132k, but I'm sure it will hold up for many more to come.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey looks good. I never get on here much anymore but still have my commander. Be careful on the RRO UCAs. I like the jeep in by al ones better. Maybe gears in the future for you? I'm putting 4.10s in mine. But anyways, keep up the good work. If you ever have questions, I'm sure there are some old timers here still that can help out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts