Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally finished the install of my grill hoop kit for the Matrix guard during the week and installed my PIAA 510 ATPs yesterday. I posted a thread on suggestions of lights and decided to go with the 510 series for their size. I didn't want the lights to be a little over whelming and the 4" size of the 510 PIAAs blended in well with the front end. I tried them out today for the first time during the night and I am impressed. They are bright and the color is super white, now I have to change my stock bulbs for headlights and fogs because these PIAA lights make them look an ugly yellow lol. Here are some pics post-install. I'll take a pic of the switch install later and post it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks good!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Couple questions... What is the diameter of those lights? Are there holes already in the guard for the lights? What are the two small holes for in the middle silver section?
Looks very nice BTW. I just bought new tires yesterday. Now I need to save my pennies for a Matrix.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple questions... What is the diameter of those lights? Are there holes already in the guard for the lights? What are the two small holes for in the middle silver section?
Looks very nice BTW. I just bought new tires yesterday. Now I need to save my pennies for a Matrix.
Thanks Deere G. Those are 4" lights that are mounted to pre-drilled holes on the Matrix, specifically for aux lights. The two small holes over the silver middle section are for mounting the front license plate but I ended up leaving it where it was since there was enough space and you could still read the numbers, plus no one can ever steal my front plate lol.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
696 Posts
I really like it but I thought you were going with the 525's?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Deere G. Those are 4" lights that are mounted to pre-drilled holes on the Matrix, specifically for aux lights. The two small holes over the silver middle section are for mounting the front license plate but I ended up leaving it where it was since there was enough space and you could still read the numbers, plus no one can ever steal my front plate lol.
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like it but I thought you were going with the 525's?
I really like the idea of the 525s but I decided to go for the 510s for their size and coverage pattern.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Very nice, I like the contrast with the black and lights. Well done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed my Matrix and a set of Hella 6" Black Magic driving lights along with a RC 2"lift. Where are you hooking the power to,the fusebox inside the cabin on the DS?
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed my Matrix and a set of Hella 6" Black Magic driving lights along with a RC 2"lift. Where are you hooking the power to,the fusebox inside the cabin on the DS?
Frank
Really nice set up Frank! I really like the look of the black Matrix guard on your black XK, AND the Black Magic lights just top it off! My PIAAs use two power sources, one goes directly to the battery (powers the lights) and the second is power for the relay, I tapped into the middle bottom fuse of the inside fuse box that is powered by the ignition so that in case I leave the lights on by accident they will power off when I turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really nice set up Frank! I really like the look of the black Matrix guard on your black XK, AND the Black Magic lights just top it off! My PIAAs use two power sources, one goes directly to the battery (powers the lights) and the second is power for the relay, I tapped into the middle bottom fuse of the inside fuse box that is powered by the ignition so that in case I leave the lights on by accident they will power off when I turn off the ignition.
Thanks Oscar...
Mine sounds to be the same.A positive for the relay and then another positive that goes to the switch(to power the lights). I saw that fuse you were talking about the other day,but wasn't totally sure if it was the one to use .. My friend just put a set on his FJ Cruiser and got something called an add a fuse. Plug it into the fuse spot then plug the lights into it..

Frank

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Oscar...
Mine sounds to be the same.A positive for the relay and then another positive that goes to the switch(to power the lights). I saw that fuse you were talking about the other day,but wasn't totally sure if it was the one to use .. My friend just put a set on his FJ Cruiser and got something called an add a fuse. Plug it into the fuse spot then plug the lights into it..

Frank
Yep, that's the same set up as mine, power to the relay and power for the switch. For the power to the relay I tapped into the power lead that goes to the PDM and into the fuse I described for the switch. The fuse is used by something else but I couldn't figure out what it was, I just removed the fused and wrapped the wire to one of the pins of the fuse and popped it back in. I was looking for a fuse tap but I could not find one. Good luck and let us know if it worked.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is there anywhere else to mount lights on that thing? I would rather have mine right above license plate, under the bar, just inside rather then outside it like you guys have. I suppose you could drill into it anywhere you want.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there anywhere else to mount lights on that thing? I would rather have mine right above license plate, under the bar, just inside rather then outside it like you guys have. I suppose you could drill into it anywhere you want.
There are two mounting holes on the underside of the crossmember that's above the front plate. I was thinking of mounting two PIAA foglights there but not sure how much they'll block the plate, they'd have to be pretty small. Like you said, you can pretty much mount anywhere as long as you're able to drill a hole through it although that might prove to be a bit tough as this is thick steel. One option is using light mounts for 2" tubes and hang them from the hoop in the middle, that would look good too. Otherwise the predrilled mounting options are as you see in the pics and in the underside of the crossmember.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts