Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I went into Target and did some shopping for baby stuff earlier this week. We were in there for a good hour, and when we cashed out and came out to the parking lot, something was amiss almost immediately.

My back bumper was hanging off.

Well, it wasn't hanging off when I walked in! Looked around, didn't see anyone or anything, and I'm thinking "Friggin great, it's a hit-and-run, and now we gotta call the police and file a report, and then get it in the shop, etc... not what I need right now with a baby comin next Tuesday."

So some kid walks up to us, asks us if we owned the vehicle, and he says that he saw a girl hit it and that she was talkin to a policeman in the back of the parking lot. Walked over to them, and could see that the girl was young, probly had just gotten her license and her dad was there too, lol.. probly the owner of the vehicle. Real nice, sweet girl, and I could tell she was freakin' out, so I was gentle. :) Didn't make a scene or anything. I don't know how she did it, but I assume she just misjudged the nose of her car as she pulled into the spot next to me and bumped me good.

Still waiting on insurance to get back to me, but everything should be okay, but still.... my baby got a boo boo. :( I was able to prop the bumper back on there in the meanwhile, but it doesn't look very good.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In a parking lot, even if you are parked, is it 50/50 liability? Or does this situation mean she was 100% at fualt? Obviously she was, I'm just wondering from an insurance company point of view? Any idea? Here in Canada, I know parking lot incidents are 50/50, but I'm not sure if it still would be in this case. Just wondering...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear that, and nice to see that there are people with the right idea and get the police and not drive off like 'I didn't do it'.

I hope you get it all fixed to your liking, and soon... Good Luck

·
Registered
444 Posts
P.S.

Oh yeah... that sucks, sorry to hear your baby got a boo boo.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Glad it worked out.

Commander4lyfe, if the responsible party can be located they pay 100% here. I got hit in the wife's car last year and it was covered 100%.

·
Registered
444 Posts
that's awesome... the 100% coverage that is. I thnk if we get in an accident in a parking lot here in Canada, unless it was the absolute fault of the other driver, i.e. being careless, then it is split 50/50... I've heard some horror stories when it comes to insurance companies and thier coverage/fault decissions and sometimes it's just down-right scary.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ya, I'm pretty sure I'm 100% covered. I'd hate if I had to cover half the costs in the situation that someone hit my correctly and legally parked car in a parking lot when I wasn't even present.

That single-mold plastic bumper, btw --- $750. I was like "good Lord, that's an expensive piece of flimsy plastic!"

·
2,248 Posts
Maybe you should upgrade to a new rear bumper form "Get Lost 4X4"

·
Registered
444 Posts
HueyPilotVN... U working on commission bro? :)

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Damn, someone beat me to the "upgrade to a GetLost bumper"!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
darn that sucks. hopefully everything works out for you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here in Florida it's the young girls and the real old people that you have to watch out for. Last year in the bank parking lot, as I was driving by, a young girl floored it in reverse out of her parking space and plowed into my PT Cruiser. I've been out of work for exactly a year with spine problems. When her boy friend came to the scene, he said to the girl, "God Damn It, Not Again!" It was his car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, I've been there and it sucks. I got hit a few years ago in my 03 mustang GT. An 80 year old man ran a redlight and t-boned me. She was my baby and was in the shop for 3 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts