Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just wanted to get some opinions here as to why my wife's Commander would not start. Alittle background first, this morning everything was fine, no problems whatsoever. At my wife's work they have a detailer that comes in to wash cars for employees that want it done for a discounted price. The guy picks up the Commander in the morning, no problems. My wife gets a call in the afternoon saying that the Commander would not start. It wasn't the battery, They said it was fully charged. They even tried to jump it, just to make sure. still no go. From what they said, the key would turn, but that's all. Nothing happens after that, not even accessories come on. Yet the horn and lights work. They are even able to lock and unlock the car with the remote.

So they towed it to the dealer and now we're waiting.

The tow guy thinks it is the "starter switch??!!??!" Does that sound right?

anywho, I just thought I'd go online and tell you guys and get your opinions.
I just find it alittle fishy that something electrical can go out like that without any type of warning or back-up. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sounds like the ignition switch..........

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Re-read the post......the key won't turn.

Rob
Re-read the post the key WILL turn.

RMS said:
From what they said, the key would turn, but that's all. Nothing happens after that, not even accessories come on.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Key gone bad? If the key is not interfacing with the cars computer it won't start.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you have a second/ spare key try that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is...

You have a burnt winding on the starter. Replacement isn't all that expensive. But, IMHO, this should have been a recall item. The starter motor that is used is too whimpy. Imagine having this problem when off-road, and on the back side of some mountain.

Fortunately, for me, mine went out while at a hotel in Virginia Beach. Dealer was just 4 miles down the road. For what it's worth, the same starter motor is used on Dodge Ram pick-ups. Just after Thanksgiving, at a U-haul lot, the guy parked next to me had the same problem. I pulled a hammer from the rear of my Commander, and we slammed the starter multiple times trying to get a jiggle of the starter, but with no luck.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make it Happen

Everyone and anyone who is having issues with their Jeep NEEDS to file a complaint with the NHTSA! This is the only way this issue is going to be resolved. We can cry all we want on these forms, but with enough complaints a recall will be issued! I know it sucks because I have all these issues, but PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults

1 - 15 of 15 Posts