Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
~~2008 Overland 5.7 HEMI~~
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for RECENT backup camera upgrade threads but considering what I found is mostly YEARS old and cameras are getting better every two weeks I thought it best to start a new thread. I realize it鈥檚 not news to you guys but...

BACKUP CAMERA SUCKS!

ESPECIALLY through limo tint at night with very poor night vision. My kid rented a new Silverado this week and 馃槼 I can鈥檛 look away from that thing. Geezus what鈥檚 the deal with ours? Did they actually COME this bad or have they just gotten tired? Either way I want one I can actually use. So, the obvious questions:

Can I get an after market that is compatible and Where?
What to expect to pay?
Easy switch or will I need to recruit a professional?
Those who have new ones any Recommendations?

Reactions: njbowen

Registered
If you want to stick with the original radio then you'll have to get another camera just like the one you have. This presupposes that the camera you have is "bad" in some way. I mean, it is bad. It's 2005 tech, even the one in the 2010 XK. But it is also possible that it's gotten crispy on the inside over the years, and the screen on the original radio is terrible. (The TV in the roof is equally lousy.) So supposing that there is something "wrong" with the camera you have, dirty lens, scratched, yellowed over the years, etc. etc. then a new camera should at least make it function like a 2005 camera again. Near as I can tell, this is that camera. Considering it's 2005-era tech, is it worth the $381? Not to me.

Not when something like this is available, and for less than $30. The $300 that you save on the camera, you get to spend on a new android head unit, but it's worth the expense. You can always pass the work off to a radio installer, god only knows what they'll charge you though, ditto for the camera & equipment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to stick with the original radio then you'll have to get another camera just like the one you have. This presupposes that the camera you have is "bad" in some way. I mean, it is bad. It's 2005 tech, even the one in the 2010 XK. But it is also possible that it's gotten crispy on the inside over the years, and the screen on the original radio is terrible. (The TV in the roof is equally lousy.) So supposing that there is something "wrong" with the camera you have, dirty lens, scratched, yellowed over the years, etc. etc. then a new camera should at least make it function like a 2005 camera again. Near as I can tell, this is that camera. Considering it's 2005-era tech, is it worth the $381? Not to me.

Not when something like this is available, and for less than $30. The $300 that you save on the camera, you get to spend on a new android head unit, but it's worth the expense. You can always pass the work off to a radio installer, god only knows what they'll charge you though, ditto for the camera & equipment.
The $300 that you save on the camera, you get to spend on a 鈥溾漬ew android head unit鈥濃, but it's worth the expense.

ANDROID HEAD UNIT....? Not familiar at all with newest car audio technology. A quick google search sorta gave me a clue what that is, but?
I鈥檓 in love with the Bose sound system. Would the entire thing need to be replaced with the camera or when you say 鈥渞adio鈥 are you taking just about the video screen or.... ?

Thank For the reply. Yes, it鈥檚 yellowed for sure so I鈥檓 KNOW an original replacement would be an improvement. But yeah the price, considering what options are available now 16 years later, is 馃憥馃徑.
And I WOULD have to hand off the work to an installer. Which I wouldn鈥檛 mind paying for if there was no change to my actual 鈥渟ound鈥 system.
Is it just the camera and touch screen you鈥檙e referring to? 馃槙鉂

Registered
>> 2006, BASE, 4.7L V8, QT-II, 30,000 miles and counting <<
The head unit is what you interact with (the "head" of the A/V system). You also don't have to get and android one (those are usually made by no-name manufacturers), but there are some pretty decent ones from companies like Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, etc that have the added benefit (beyond a better display and compatibility with newer cameras) of being equipped with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay (depending on your persuasion).

As for the actual sound system, most aftermarket head units usually require some kind of adapter to interface with the factory amplifier, especially if you have a higher end sound system (the base model doesn't), but the cost of the adapter should be pretty marginal.

I haven't personally changed out my stock (screen-less) head, but I did do it on my 1995 Volvo 850 and it wasn't too difficult (mind you, I'm comfortable around wires/electronics), but a good place to start online to get an idea of what you might need to purchase is crutchfield.com.

Hope that's not too much of a word soup :)

Registered
What he said. A head unit is just a radio, the Android ones are much more advanced. You can get a more basic head unit that is marketed domestically and use the Android Auto or Apple Car Play, but the Android head units, being Androids, can run Android Auto or Car Play as well, and you get the added benefit of the Android. The downside is that updates to the software are either dodgy or never happen, but at least with Android Auto or Car Play it isn't just frozen in time.

Whichever you go with, the point is that the original camera isn't just upgradeable without leaving the existing head unit radio behind. If you're more on a budget, you can always just get any of several available backup cameras that are sold with their own standalone display monitors. You'll have to get creative on where to mount it but at least that's another option. There are also some kits sold that direct the camera image to a replacement rear view mirror, maybe a little over $100 is the going rate for those.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Just no easy fix. I should have guessed that would be the case with this big ole finicky thirsty moody beautiful b!楼ch馃グ I just happen to have very poor night vision and depth perception along with no peripheral due to a traumatic eye injury a few years ago. That coupled with the heavy tint has made backing up in the dark nearly impossible. And totally unwilling to part with or alter the Overlands sound system so.... guess I鈥檒l be looking into a creative way to Mount one with its own camera. Thanks for the help! 馃憤馃徏

Registered
Just brainstorming but you might look into upgrading the bulbs in your backup lights.

Also, there are now wireless cameras with their own screens as well as others that project to an app on your phone or tablet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I did this first thing- got some VERY bright ones another member put on theirs (can鈥檛 remember exactly which ones at the moment). And they are obnoxiously bright white! Still- it helps only a smidge.

Registered
>> 2006, BASE, 4.7L V8, QT-II, 30,000 miles and counting <<
I would second the recommendation of looking into a wireless camera/screen bundle. That would probably be the easiest solution.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts