Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we got the news today that my brother-in-law became severely ill. His pancreas shut down and his blood-sugar level was over 1300, which would put a person in a coma or even kill that person. Docs are calling it a miracle that he is still alive and responsive, he's a good person, a hard worker and a great father, so if you don't mind, I ask for you to pray for him and his family. He's from Gary, Indiana and his name is Jaime Chavez.

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Prayers going out to him and the family.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Wow, that is high. How old is he? My son is diabetic. He was 1200 when he was diagnosed and went in the hospital.

If your brother in law is diabetic and there is nothing else going on, it isn't the end of the world. He'll be ok as long as he takes care of himself. Bolus for
meals do his tests.

In any case, I'll pray for him.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
A fellow Hoosier - I will pray for him and put him in my circle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on an insulin pump not the end of the world just adds a bit of complication nothing he can't handle. Have him look at sites like Diabetes daily and TU diabetes good forums and support sites. Hit me at age 34 avg blood sugar was 500+ lost 30lbs in a month. Doing fine now no issues.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. He had never been diagnosed as a diabetic, apparently none of his doctors ever actually tested him for diabetes. His levels have come back close to normal, but time will tell if there is an underlying cause for what happened to him yesterday. Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Best wishes for your bil. Glad his sugar is. Back to normal.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Thanks everyone. He had never been diagnosed as a diabetic, ... Thanks again...
Do you know what his A1c is? That will tell the tale.
If the blood sugar gets high, he will become acidotic. They have to get
the keytones out because that will cause lots of stomach pain.

Keytones are a left over byproduct of unprocessed blood sugar.

Glad he is better.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know what his A1c is? That will tell the tale.
If the blood sugar gets high, he will become acidotic. They have to get
the keytones out because that will cause lots of stomach pain.

Keytones are a left over byproduct of unprocessed blood sugar.

Glad he is better.
CICO7, I'm not too educated on the diabetes stuff, although I should be since I'm a Type II diabetic myself. His A1C at the time of hospitalization was 11 (probably not exactly) and the Keytone level was also 11 as I was told. I don't know how the keytone levels are measured but i believe it is normally tested through urine tests...

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
CICO7, I'm not too educated on the diabetes stuff, although I should be since I'm a Type II diabetic myself. His A1C at the time of hospitalization was 11 (probably not exactly) and the Keytone level was also 11 as I was told. I don't know how the keytone levels are measured but i believe it is normally tested through urine tests...
Ketones can be checked with urine, but he had large ketones. A1C at 11 is
very high, usually about 6. A1c is about a 3month snapshot of glucose
levels. Doc's want to keep a1c around 7 for type 1 diabetics.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. I have worked with the
JDRF and have been dealing with this since my son was 13. JDRF and ADA
are both good organizations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts