Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bumper was hit with a very large downward force. It resulted in the damage shown in the pictures. The aftermarket bumper survived without any damage. The front end, not so much. The weight pushed the bumper down and destroyed the cross member. The light housings, the grill, the radiator, and the hood had to be replaced. About $7,000 later and all is fixed. I had the body shop save the light housings and I plan on using them to find out the best way of installing LEDs in a kind of halo effect around the perimeter of the inside of the light housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow what hit it?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tree, during a storm

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Hmmm? Interesting question, if you kept the stock bump would it have just sheered off the bumper for less total damage?

My guess, no, the metal bumper under the plastic fascia is pretty strong, and mounted securely for crash standards, but smaller than the all metal bumper you replaced it with. If the fallen tree had hit the metal bumper it would have likely caused an equal amount of damage along with just tearing the plastic fascia into many pieces.

The only argument, it looks like the aftermarket bumper is larger than OEM bumper, so maybe the tree might have missed the OEM bumper, but that is the same as arguing "If I had only parked 3" more to the rear".

Sorry for the bad luck.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
THat is a helluva bumper that you've got there Huey. Sorry about the damage, but it looks like the XK will survive to see another day.

If your saving the lights, its time for an HID upgrade Huey! I'm not really a fan of "halos" though...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to put it back together!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wasn't there a picture a few years back where someone basically ripped this bumper off while winching out of a mud hole? Recall the bolted connection to the thin metal crossmember being the main issue....

Regardless, a tree falling is a lot of force... if the bumper had a stronger connection (than what im recalling), it probably would have totaled the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Wasn't there a picture a few years back where someone basically ripped this bumper off while winching out of a mud hole? Recall the bolted connection to the thin metal crossmember being the main issue....

Regardless, a tree falling is a lot of force... if the bumper had a stronger connection (than what im recalling), it probably would have totaled the vehicle.
I'd imagine it is designed to fail at a certain point.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If it was designed to fail, it would be designed to fail without destroying the front crossmember. ;)

Steel bumpers are designed to be as strong (or stronger) as the frame they're attached to so they can take the abuse from rocks, wincing, etc.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts