Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, my Centerline rims have finally reached the end of their life span and they are starting to give me problems.

After 6 years of use on 2 different Jeeps, I've had 2 of them develop very small, pin-hole size cracks on me in the last 6 weeks.

I wound up having to get them tig-welded almost completely around the entire circumference of the rim. This was on a line where the manufacturer apparently, had milled too deeply and over time, with stress & wear, the area that was milled too deeply, slowly started to separate and eventually a very small, pinhole/hairline crack developed.

While the 2 that failed are working fine now after being tig-welded, it's just a matter of time before the other 2 crack and I don't need to be worried about my rims failing under stress - or worse yet, under load.

So, as much as I love them, they have to go.

I ordered a set these, which are a much more conventional off-road rim:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302632716882

Bought a set of 4 for $700.00 w/free shipping.

These are the specifics of the rims:

BRAND: American Racing
STYLE: AR969 Ansen Off Road
SIZE: 17x8
BOLT PATTERN: 5x127
OFFSET: +0mm
HUB BORE: 71.5
BACKSPACING: 4.5"
FINISH: Machined Face w/Satin Black Ring
CONDITION: Brand New
PART NUMBER: AR96978050500

I'll order a 5th rim for my spare tire in another month or so when I have a little extra cash - and after I know that they fit alright. Until then, I'll just use one of the Centerlines for my spare.

I just got off the phone with the company - Custom Wheel Outlet a few hours ago - and they seem pretty confident I won't have any rubbing issues even though the back-spacing is only 4.5 inches as opposed to the 5.5 inches of back spacing that I have now, so, we'll see how they fit when they get here toward the end of next week.

I'll post some pics and a write-up once they're on.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your centerlines brother.

I forget, did you do the pinchweld mod? If not You may have some increased chance of rubbing @ full lock.

I have 5" backspacing. Going from 5.5 to 4.5 is a big jump! Like running a 1" spacer on your current rims (obviously...)

You will increase your track width by 2"! I know I like the stability of a wider track, especially when lifted.

Oh, the new rims look great! I really like the look. Kind of the mirror image of my set which are black rims with a polished lip.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your centerlines brother.

I forget, did you do the pinchweld mod? If not You may have some increased chance of rubbing @ full lock.

I have 5" backspacing. Going from 5.5 to 4.5 is a big jump! Like running a 1" spacer on your current rims (obviously...)

You will increase your track width by 2"! I know I like the stability of a wider track, especially when lifted.

Oh, the new rims look great! I really like the look. Kind of the mirror image of my set which are black rims with a polished lip.
Thanks, I like your rims too.

No, I never had to do the pinchweld mod and never had to run wheel spacers.

I'm thinking with the 2 inch RC Lift and the WAM front bumper (which cut away a lot of the factory lower front fascia & wheel well) that I will still have enough clearance to avoid any rubbing - even with 1 inch less of back-spacing.

So lucky, just to clarify, are you telling me that the one inch less of back-spacing will make the tire stick out an inch further?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks, I like your rims too.

No, I never had to do the pinchweld mod and never had to run wheel spacers.

I'm thinking with the 2 inch RC Lift and the WAM front bumper (which cut away a lot of the factory lower front fascia & wheel well) that I will still have enough clearance to avoid any rubbing - even with 1 inch less of back-spacing.

So lucky, just to clarify, are you telling me that the one inch less of back-spacing will make the tire stick out an inch further?
That is correct. Assuming the same wheel width numerically lower backspacing means that the wheel is pushed out away from the body. OEM backspacing is ~6" IIRC on a 7.5" rim.

Your new rims appear to be 8" wide.

So the outer lip location relative to the fenders compared to the stock rim would be the same as if you chose to run a 2" wide spacer on a stock rim.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is correct. Assuming the same wheel width numerically lower backspacing means that the wheel is pushed out away from the body. OEM backspacing is ~6" IIRC on a 7.5" rim.

Your new rims appear to be 8" wide.

So the outer lip location relative to the fenders compared to the stock rim would be the same as if you chose to run a 2" wide spacer on a stock rim.
You see, that shows you how smart I'm not.....LOL.

I thought it was the other way around.

My Centerlines are 17 x 8 inches wide FYI, same as these. The only difference in dimensions that I see is the backspacing;
4.5 inches on the new rims vs 5.5 inches of back-spacing on the Centerlines.

If they will be pushed out, away from the body another inch, I don't think I'll have any problems. That is actually giving me a sigh of relief.

I was concerned about the possibility of rubbing on the top, inner edge of the sidewall - thinking that the tire would be an inch closer inward toward the body, UCA's & shocks - but since it's actually the other way around and I'll actually be moving an inch further outward, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
VERY common misconception. Backspacing is measured from the inner lip to the mounting plate. SO a bigger # means that more of the rim is covering the suspension arms, or inside the fenders.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VERY common misconception. Backspacing is measured from the inner lip to the mounting plate. SO a bigger # means that more of the rim is covering the suspension arms, or inside the fenders.
Very good, thanks for sharing your knowledge lucky, I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts