Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Commander Limited with virtually all options on March 13. Got a build date in early April and was all set.

Apparently it rolled off the line and for whatever reason (quality control, damage, etc.) the plant didn't release it and so they scheduled a second one to be built. Build/ship date was April 24, this past Monday.

Found out Monday it was shipped last Friday and will be here sometime next week.

All is good, I'm really stoked (this is a 40th birthday present for my wife).

I ordered the back-up camera from the dealer (it was only available as a dealer option at the time I ordered). Now I'm told you can order the back-up camera as a factory option - and the image is sent to the Nav display (as opposed to a monitor mounted on the front windshield.

What do you think the chances are that my Commander will have the new Nav unit and wiring harness that is compatable so I won't have to use the windshield-mounted monitor?

Any educated quesses?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't even want to guess and don't hold me to this but I believe both the harness and the nav unit have to be the new version, the harness to provide a reverse input wire and the Nav unit to have a camera/reverse input. As for will your commander have the new units, I think it would depend on Jeeps parts stock as of your build date. Good luck, T

·
Registered
396 Posts
Let us know how you like the new NAV and back up camera.

Maybe I will upgrade if it is not too costly. I wonder when they will start forward cameras for offroaders. It would be very helpful...

For safety, I guess it could only actuate in 4LO, so you wouldn't worry about people trying to drive on the freeway by screen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took delivery today and I couldn't be more pleased. It is one SHARP looking vehicle.

The backup camera is connected to a small monitor mounted on the lover left part of the windshield. The system works great.

Already activated Sirius and programmed the U-Connect.

This is gonna be fun!

I'll need to keep in mind this is a birthday present for my wife....:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations. I just had my 3K oil change and no problems so far whatsoever. My only big (actually huge) gripe is this car runs out of gas in 200 miles so it needs constant fill-ups. The gas tank is the same as Wrangler. Guess they couldn't fit the tire, 3rd seat and properly sized gas tank all in one place. Something had to give and gas tank "gave". My average mileage (4.7V8) is about 12 mpg. Thib baby drinks it like there's no tomorrow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think Mikey's 12 MPG mileage is either caused by a lead foot or perhaps he just lives in an area where he never gets any or VERY little urban highway miles over 50 MPH. While my lifetime mileage is around 15-16 MPG, on my last fill-up I've only driven around town is stop and go traffic and sad to say, according to the trip computer, I'm only getting 12 MPG, but I know as soon as I get my CMD up to 50 around town, the mileage will pop back up to 15+ MPG. The area I'm from in the Greater Seattle area and my current low mileage is stop and go driving in my little suburban town of Issaquah WA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts