Jeep Commander Forum banner

My Commander was killed.

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sporty92 
#1 · (Edited)
Wednesday December 23rd a reck less driver hit my Commander while I was en route to my hometown for Christmas with my family. My wife, my dog and myself were not hurt. The other driver tried to cut in front of me while traveling at a very high speed in the rain. He hit the PS front wheel of my Commander and sent us into a spin in the muddy median. We hit the guard rail hard. The whole passenger side is damaged from hood to rear bumper. Damage is over $12K. The Commander is totaled. We are very sad to lose this car but happy we were not hurt. I am currently looking for a replacement Commander.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow it doesn't look like that much damage, but I guess it never does. Sorry to here about your loss, mine had much more damage, but it was in 06 the XK was 3 months old so they fixed it, can't tell cosmetically or handling wise. They would not total it since it was so new.

#3 ·
Sorry you are losing your Commander but glad no one was hurt. Did the other guy stop ?

#4 ·
Is the insurance totalling it? I do not see any impossible damage, mostly stuff that is supposed to break to protect the hard stuff. A lot of body shops use the newer spot weld repair techniques to pull out much of the damage you have.
With that said getting a replacement XK is not too bad depending on the insurance

Dave

#5 ·
I'm glad you and yours were not hurt.

#7 ·
Yes the other guys insurance is totaling it. I should get a check this week. I have already found a 2010 Limited with the V8. Mine had the V6. The Limited also has more options than the old one did. Looking forward to getting back in the Commander. My wife and I love this vehicle.

#9 · (Edited)
First off, glad you and your family are safe and not hurt.

In June 2014 I had some schmuck in a full-size Ford Econoline Van run a red light and broad-side me in the passenger's side of my 2008 Rocky Mountain Edition Jeep Grand Cherokee at about 40 MPH.

Like you, I was not hurt but the GC was totaled.

At the time, I had it stuck in my head (almost stubbornly so) that I wanted another Grand Cherokee, but I wanted this one to have a V-8 - my totaled GC had the 3.7L V-6 with QT One 4WD, which I had grown really tired of.

I could not find one in my price range.

All the GC's I could find in my price range were either beat to death - or had a ridiculous amount of mileage on them - or both.

The ones that had what I wanted, were out of my price range as I was buying cash and did not want to have to finance anything.

After almost 3 weeks of looking all up and down the East coast, I finally gave up on the idea of getting another Grand Cherokee, that's when I started looking at Commanders.

After only a few days, I found one that had most of the options I was looking for. A Cherry, one-owner 2008 Sport with the 4.7L (Flex Fuel) V-8 & only 62,000 miles on it. The price was right, the dealership was asking $15,000 and I talked them down to $14,500. It had virtually every option Jeep offers on the Commander with the exception of leather seats, sunroof and navigation. It had everything else and I already had a separate, basically new GPS unit from the totaled GC, so, the fact it didn't come with the navigation system wasn't an issue.

I am much happier with the Commander as opposed to my old GC.

People always talk about the 5.7L Hemi's and rightly so, but my 4.7L puts out 305 HP and that is plenty of power for me - I didn't buy it to race anybody, I bought it for it's off-road capability; QT II with a V-8 is a nice upgrade over QT I with a V-6.

I guess the moral of the story is, your family was safe & unharmed which is obviously the most important thing.

So in light of that, just look at this as a chance to upgrade to something a little nicer.

Hopefully you found one by now, but if not, Happy Hunting.

#8 ·
Congrats on finding a new Commander. Post pics when you get it.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear about you losing your Commander

The blue one on the thread here is a really nice one. I agree. I have the HEMI and while very nice...I don't really need it. But it's white with brown leather and it's a 2010 with 59K. In mint condition. It has all the bells and whistles. It's over 19K so maybe way more than you are willing to spend. I wish you luck on your search. They just don't make them like a Commander anymore. To me it's like having a range rover but a little more understated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.