Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit by a retread blow-out on Thursday morning. I really thought I'd taken the hit with the tire, and my biggest concern was having my own blow-out on a bridge at 60 mph. Well, my tire is fine, but my passenger side bumper, fender, driving light/headlight assembly are all toast. My horn doesn't work, so I guess the hardware for it is up there. I'm concerned that a body shop won't find everything that is wrong with it, but haven't had the greatest luck with body work done at dealerships before. Any suggestions? I'm so disgusted; my Jeep was perfect.

Katy

·
Registered
512 Posts
Many dealerships dont have their own body shops.I run a large independant body shop and we have alot of dealer employees bring their work to us. If you have an insurance agent thats any good they should be able to refer you to a good shop. Jeeps are well built vehicles and straight forward to repair.Once your jeep is opened up they should be able to see all the damage.Some insurance companies have their recommended shops (DRP), but here in PA its always the owners choice where to go. Pros and cons to this, 1. con- the shop sometimes has to use aftermarket parts, which have fit and finish issues. 2. Pro- if the shop doesnt make a repair that you are happy with you can lean on your ins. co. most have a lifetime repair waranty. It depends on your state laws and your ins. co. post a picture or two and i"d be happy to give you any suggestions. -43;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
One way is to find a good body shop is find where your local luxury auto dealer (such as the Mercedes dealer) send vehicles to be fixed. Typically those shops are catering to clientelle that has higher standards for how the vehicle is fixed.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My insurance company (Liberty Mutual) does have a recommended shop, and they'll guarantee the work as long as you own the car if you use them. BUT, I've never heard of this shop, and I've lived here forever. We do have an appt to have them look at it tomorrow. I've gotten charge my batteries, and I'll get a picture.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Liberty Mutuals "TLC" program is one I'm involved with here in PA. Good program. Here they dont allow aftermarket parts.Not sure if thats a state to state thing or company-wide.They might use used, but not aftermarket.We have not had any problems with Liberty Mutual on our end, so hopefully it will work out for you.keep me posted -43:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same deductible on both collision and comprehensive, so I guess it doesn't matter. The whatever-it-was seemed to come from the truck to my Jeep, although it was dark, so it's hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The email I got says comprehensive. The estimate is $1,068 right now - convenient w/ my $1,000 deductible. I'm sure it'll go a whole lot higher when he gets into it though. The hood won't open, the horn doesn't work - it's a lot of oddball stuff. Poor Commander.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If the quote is the same as the excess why get it fixed through the insurance co at all. Pay for it yourself, it'll be chaeper in the long run.

Why so cheap though. My rear right window (the one with the radio arial in it) was smashed as part of a break in, glass alone was $1700 ($1400US).

·
Registered
686 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
One way is to find a good body shop is find where your local luxury auto dealer (such as the Mercedes dealer) send vehicles to be fixed. Typically those shops are catering to clientelle that has higher standards for how the vehicle is fixed.
I'll second that ... I used to work at a wallpaper printing shop and there was a body shop next door that catered to expensive European cars. I always admired the perfect paint blending I saw come out of that shop on tricky opalescent colors. When I needed work done on my Honda Civic I had them do it. They were friendly, professional, not at all put out to work on a cheap Japanese car and they treated me with the same care and respect that their wealthier patrons probably got.

And their price was surprisingly competitive.

Your estimate is surprising. I crunched the back right corner when I first got mine and wasn't used to the squareness (and should have been trusting the backup sensors). Replaced back bumper, fixed a slight bend in the driver's side back, replaced brake light assembly. That was around > $1,000 at the GEICO recommended dealership.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
joskt0204 said:
The email I got says comprehensive. The estimate is $1,068 right now - convenient w/ my $1,000 deductible. I'm sure it'll go a whole lot higher when he gets into it though. The hood won't open, the horn doesn't work - it's a lot of oddball stuff. Poor Commander.
That's good they're not trying to ding you (no pun intended) for collision.
Sometimes not putting in a claim and paying it will lead to the same result. If the insurance company knows about the accident they can still raise your rates. Katy's is comprehensive so her rates shouldn't be affected unless there's multiple claims. I too believe the estimate will go a lot higher, we're talkin about an aluminum hood, front bumper, fender, headlight, fog light, grille and lots of plastic parts, not to mention prep and paint.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I'd figure double that figure. The most expensive part will most likely be the headlight. Hoods aren't too expensive, bumper probably under 100, front fascia 200-250, money is in the labor.

What parts does the estimate show them replacing, and which are they repairing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I've just been kinda fed up with the whole issue - so here are two pics. The damage is worse than it looks, I think, since the hood won't open and the horn doesn't work. I'm pretty sure that the estimate at this point is just for the bumper and fender replacements. I have no doubts the actual cost will be a lot higher than the current estimate. I've only had one insurance claim in recent years, which is not supposed to count against me, since it was only $350 in damages. The lady I backed into (just knicked her car with my hitch) wanted an insurance claim rather than a cash payment, but Liberty Mutual said anything under $750 is not charged against you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fender is definitely no good, the hood looks okay, but obviously something is bent, because it doesn't open. They are saying 4-5 days in the shop. All that stuff is so loose, I keep thinking something will fall off. Like I said, you can't see all of the damage in the pics. I didn't see it until my husband started pointing it all out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts